Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to buy a tile saw and was wondering what saw people think is the best. In the past I've used an MK-101 and while it seems to be bullet proof, it kinda sucks to cut bevels. It looks like maybe a MK TX-3 or a Husqvarna TS 60 would be better for bevel cuts? Anyone use either of those saws? If at all possible, I would also like a saw Made in USA by a US company.

How about blade recommendations? The saw will mainly be used for cutting porcelain tile. Again, I would prefer to stick with a Made in USA by US company if possible but will consider others depending on where they are made.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Hey JC ,

I have a Mk-101 its a beast. Unfortunetly I don't think they come with the USA made baldor motors anymore. The one I have has one, but I believe the new ones come with a Chinese knockoff, I could be wrong though.

As for the bevel cuts, it came with an aluminum 45 degree block that you lock down to the fence. Its not too bad.

I only use it when doing bigger thicker tiles. I have a 7" pearl abrasives saw that I use most of the time.

Dave

·
Registered
732 Posts
The MK101 is a workhorse. I cut tiles mostly, but its also cut plenty of pavers and patio brick as well with a more aggressive blade. It can take a beating. The downside is the size and weight. Its fine for new construction, but tougher in remodels.

The 101 still comes with a baldor motor, the 100 used to have a GE but probably has an import these days.

·
Nail Driving Fool
554 Posts
Currently running one of these. 2 years in and still going strong. Not claiming its the best but for the price I don't see where you can go wrong. Its made me alot of money! Replaced a Felker.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-8-in-Tile-Saw-with-Stand-R4040S/203837585?N=5yc1vZc38pZ1z0u4mu

For blades I like these. Most of my tile work is porcelain this blade cuts clean.

http://www.amazon.com/QEP-6-8008BW-Micro-Segmented-Diamond-Cutting/dp/B000Y3GJ0S/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1399085051&sr=8-9&keywords=8+inch+tile+blade

Also have one of these. Don't use it much for tile but with a turbo rim blade it chews through backer board like nobody's business.

http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DWC860W-4-3-8-Inch-Masonry/dp/B003BVW5NU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1399085363&sr=8-2&keywords=hand+held+tile+saw

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Get an Imer.
Do you have one? The COMBI 250VA 10inch looks pretty nice. Really nice looking miter gauge and bevel cutting should be a breeze. However, it only has a few reviews on Amazon with one saying it's complete garbage.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey JC ,

I have a Mk-101 its a beast. Unfortunetly I don't think they come with the USA made baldor motors anymore. The one I have has one, but I believe the new ones come with a Chinese knockoff, I could be wrong though.

As for the bevel cuts, it came with an aluminum 45 degree block that you lock down to the fence. Its not too bad.

I only use it when doing bigger thicker tiles. I have a 7" pearl abrasives saw that I use most of the time.

Dave
Looks like they have changed the saw a little. The one I've used is probably 20 years old and to cut a bevel, the one half of the table tilts. Did you buy your saw somewhere around here? It would be nice to be able to see some saws before buying one. You know if Best Tile in Wexford has any on display? I've heard that's a pretty nice place.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Consider weight. You are going to have to lug this thing around.

MK-101 103lbs.
TX-3 85lbs.
TS 60 109lbs.

Imer 8" Combi 45lbs.
DeWalt 24000 69lbs.
The Mk is a heavy beast. It would be nice to have something a little more manageable but I'll carry a few extra lbs if need be for a better saw.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Currently running one of these. 2 years in and still going strong. Not claiming its the best but for the price I don't see where you can go wrong. Its made me alot of money! Replaced a Felker.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-8-in-Tile-Saw-with-Stand-R4040S/203837585?N=5yc1vZc38pZ1z0u4mu

For blades I like these. Most of my tile work is porcelain this blade cuts clean.

http://www.amazon.com/QEP-6-8008BW-Micro-Segmented-Diamond-Cutting/dp/B000Y3GJ0S/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1399085051&sr=8-9&keywords=8+inch+tile+blade

Also have one of these. Don't use it much for tile but with a turbo rim blade it chews through backer board like nobody's business.

http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DWC860W-4-3-8-Inch-Masonry/dp/B003BVW5NU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1399085363&sr=8-2&keywords=hand+held+tile+saw
I've heard mixed reviews on the Ridgid over the last few years. Makes me afraid to get one and I would guess it is a Chinese saw.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Perfect timing on this thread. We can get a reconditioned 101 for $600 I think. Does it pay to look at the ts60 or dewalt at twice that price new? Any would be serviceable for us. Thanks.

Andy

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have a 101 pro and a tx3 both great saws. For small jobs the tx3 goes on the truck and the 101 for bigger jobs. The main downside of the tx3 is the 1" arbor hard to find blades.

·
Registered
12,917 Posts
Water control was at the top of my list when I started looking. I can set the TS-60 is a finished room and not worry about a mess.

Tom

·
Registered
5,057 Posts
I hear the dewalt has excellent water control. That's the one I'm seriously considering.

I know some of you on here have it. Anybody have complaints or reasons not to get it?

·
Hair Splitter
18,330 Posts
Perfect timing on this thread. We can get a reconditioned 101 for $600 I think. Does it pay to look at the ts60 or dewalt at twice that price new? Any would be serviceable for us. Thanks.

Andy
The DeWalt around here is only $899.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts