Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the absolute best system to apply to a balcony and covered foyer to keep it waterproof? Currently the 2 areas are plywood with a fiberglass coating that has failed and is leaking. 1 area is covered with tile and the other pavers.

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
What is the absolute best system to apply to a balcony and covered foyer to keep it waterproof? Currently the 2 areas are plywood with a fiberglass coating that has failed and is leaking. 1 area is covered with tile and the other pavers.

Is this outside? The foyer thing is throwing me off. Check out Schluter. They have stuff for exterior tile installation.

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Plywood, fiberglass, tile, and you got a problem?, one word MEMBRANE, Lots of types out there pick your poisen

·
Newb
118 Posts
Mechanically fastened EPDM or TPO. If you need to have a walk surface there are TPO's rated for foot traffic. Or you can do EPDM with drainage mat and pavers or walk pads.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Absolutely stay away from mechanically attached roof systems if they are going to be covered up. Go with fully adhered.

EPDM makes a far better walking surface then TPO or PVC in the winter or any frosty wet conditions.

The system can be sloped for drainage then pedestals installed to put pavers over. Sticking tiles to any of these membrane systems I do not believe would work.

IF there is insulation you are putting down to slope the roof install densdeck or secure rock as a coverboard. The pavers can crush the ISO leaving you with an uneven surface. We always use 6" seam tape on anything that is going to be covered up. And of course 60 mil EPDM, if you have the extra money 90 mil.

This one will get pedestals and 2'x2' concrete pavers. 1/4" per foot tapered 1/2" dens deck 60 mill EPDM with 6" seams. There is two levels of these decks.

Attachments

·
Newb
118 Posts
Absolutely stay away from mechanically attached roof systems if they are going to be covered up. Go with fully adhered.
Why not mechanically attached? Risk of movement? I say MA for the reinforced membrane and you will have something holding it down.

·
General Contractor
7,894 Posts
My balcony is covered with fiberglass, going on 12 years now and it exposed to the sun for most of the day, still looks like it was done yesterday :thumbsup:

·
Registered
103 Posts
balcony waterproofing

dex o tex is big here in los angeles. It's all in the flashings with the huge amount of stucco that is used here. i think they're called Diato flashings,run up the wall and incorporate a stucco screed. Fiberglass seems like the sun beats it up pretty well here

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Why not mechanically attached? Risk of movement? I say MA for the reinforced membrane and you will have something holding it down.
No worry about movement. Mostly risk management. Pulling up deck boards and pavers get expensive. I prefer to have as few penitrations ass possible.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Problem is, nuckleheads think that bucket 'o "coating" is a "system": Just roll'r' on and yer ready to go!...When typically, due to their ignorance, they may have a component or two of a complete system, which, of course fails miserably......

·
Designer/Contractor
3,473 Posts
dex o tex is big here in los angeles. It's all in the flashings with the huge amount of stucco that is used here. i think they're called Diato flashings,run up the wall and incorporate a stucco screed. Fiberglass seems like the sun beats it up pretty well here
We were just doing some stuff on a dex o tex roof deck that was built in 1992, looked great but no freeze cycle to consider here.

·
Brownchickenbrowncow
952 Posts
Problem is, nuckleheads think that bucket 'o "coating" is a "system": Just roll'r' on and yer ready to go!...When typically, due to their ignorance, they may have a component or two of a complete system, which, of course fails miserably......

Agreed, typical traffic coating. Multi part process, starting with GSM flashing all the way through finish coat. Near impossible to damage unless by mechanical means. Last job we used endurokote. ImageUploadedByContractorTalk1426920735.447510.jpg

1 - 16 of 16 Posts