Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I have to come clean her. I have a super cheap circular saw, (Skil sidewinder), and I have a hard time getting consistent stringers. It's the only cheap tool left in my arsenal, (unless you consider anything but Festool cheap), so it needs replacing. My biggest peeve is blade wander in we PT. It's hard to keep on line going 35 degrees into the grain.

I'm a weakling so I like light, but I'll sacrifice that for a beam saw if that's what it takes to be accurate. What say you?

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Okay, so I have to come clean her. I have a super cheap circular saw, (Skil sidewinder), and I have a hard time getting consistent stringers. It's the only cheap tool left in my arsenal, (unless you consider anything but Festool cheap), so it needs replacing. My biggest peeve is blade wander in we PT. It's hard to keep on line going 35 degrees into the grain.

I'm a weakling so I like light, but I'll sacrifice that for a beam saw if that's what it takes to be accurate. What say you?
Just curious as to why you would have a cheap saw being a contractor. Spend the money and buy a contractor saw and be done with it. If you can't cut straight stringers with a good sidewinder, I don't know what to say.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just curious as to why you would have a cheap saw being a contractor. Spend the money and buy a contractor saw and be done with it. If you can't cut straight stringers with a good sidewinder, I don't know what to say.
I never saw the need. It spins and cuts. The only time it is ever used is when I cut stringers. Cutting wet PT ain't easy. Tell me why an expensive saw is better than a cheap one. I can tell you why when it comes to every other tool I use, but not with a circular as I have no history of comparison.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I love my Milwaukee saw. I have used them for nearly 30 years so I guess it is what I am used to. Most of my men prefer their Makita saw over mine.

I think it is a personal preference. Just because someone tells you how much they love their saw does not mean it is the saw for you. Try a few until you find one that fits you.

Festool makes a beutiful circular saw but I can't imagine using one to cut PT framing lumber. If you get one of those keep it in your shop ;)

Dave

·
Motorboatin' son of a ...
1,104 Posts
I never saw the need. It spins and cuts. The only time it is ever used is when I cut stringers. Cutting wet PT ain't easy. Tell me why an expensive saw is better than a cheap one. I can tell you why when it comes to every other tool I use, but not with a circular as I have no history of comparison.

If your saw "spins and cuts" why do you need a better saw? Oh, that's right...inconsistent results.

·
The Duke
14,746 Posts
Come on Chris. It spins and it cuts? What about any old 6 tooth Chinese sawblade? That spins and cuts. It's probably a good reason why you're having a hard time cutting. Do yourself a favor and trade up.

And you don't need a beam saw.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Alright, spins and cuts was a little bit much. :laughing:

Is there any advantage of a worm drive over sidewider when it comes to the strength of the arbor and bearings? Again, WET PT on a 35 degree angle into the grain can be a little tough to keep on line. Maybe RPM and power negate all that. I dunno. That's why I posted this in the deck forum and not he tool forum.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I have a Skil Mag 77 worm drive, and absolutly love it! It has a lot of torque and cuts nice and straight. It might take a little getting used to after using a sidewinder for a long time, but it's all I have ever had. Try to find an older US made one. The new ones are made in China. Sometimes, especially if you look in some of the smaller neighborhood hardware stores, you might be able to find one made in the US. The Bosch worm drive is essentially the same saw.

·
Motorboatin' son of a ...
1,104 Posts
I would at least get a saw with a 15 amp motor. If you have problems then, you can blame it on the person doing the cutting. Sidewinders or worm drive seem to be a personal preference. I have mostly used worm drive. I would recommend with the Skil Mag 77 or the Bosch.

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
Alright, spins and cuts was a little bit much. :laughing:

Is there any advantage of a worm drive over sidewider when it comes to the strength of the arbor and bearings? Again, WET PT on a 35 degree angle into the grain can be a little tough to keep on line. Maybe RPM and power negate all that. I dunno. That's why I posted this in the deck forum and not he tool forum.
Porter-Cable is light, 15A, and
comes with left or right blades.
I have both and they do everything
I ask them to.
Buy a Diablo blade. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Porter-Cable is light, 15A, and
comes with left or right blades.
I have both and they do everything
I ask them to.
Buy a Diablo blade. :thumbsup:
If they have a left blade I will buy one in second. I already use the Diablo blades. I always thought they would make up for the cheap saw.

Thanks. :thumbsup:

·
wannabe
2,283 Posts
We cut PT all the time...yeah it can be tough to cut....I've only seen a problem with a dull blade or a saw that's a piece of junk....Maybe I'm a snob, but every cut I make, I want to look like trim....

I've cut PT with PC, dewalt, milwaukee, makita, worm drive....once in a while a guy will pull out his HOer special with the safety button and I just go to the truck and get my saw....'cmon, a 15 amp professional grade saw costs between $120-$150....

I applaud the newbie with the cheap saw, atleast he has the initiative to invest in tools....he's not cutting stringers or rafters either.....

Honest to god....if I have a project that I doubt my tool inventory and the tricks up my sleeve, I'll eat the cost and buy whatever tool i think I need!

·
Zimmermann
328 Posts
$99.00
well worth a benji....

·
Zimmermann
328 Posts
along with this

·
The Deck Guy
3,126 Posts
I like the new Makita Hypoid model if I could only have one saw, but because I have can two saws, I have that AND the Rigid Fuego 6-1/2".

I used to be a strictly worm guy, but that little Rigid made me change my tune. It's absolutely great for cutting 2X, especially stringers.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Another vote for the Mag 77 -
pin or pull the guard back when cutting,
drop the foot so the blade's cutting path is just a little deeper than the thickness of the wood,
Diablo 24t blades,
finish the cuts w/ a jigsaw,
boom, you're done.

mine have been American-made and work great...

Mac

·
Premium Member
Retired deck builder
5,529 Posts
I've cut a lot of TP stringers & don't have a problem staying on the line. I use a 15 amp Makita & keep a good sharp thin kerf blade in it. I couldn't imagine using a cheap HO style circular saw.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts