Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently own the Bosch 1617 plunge/fixed base set. I decided to purchase a router table set up that I can store in the job trailer and I was looking for other suggestions on what you have used/tried/own.

I am looking at the Bench Dog Table top model with matching lift or the Kreg table top model with matching lift. The Porter Cable 7518 3 1/4 HP router could make up the guts. Any Suggestions? Im not really interested in building one at this point but it may come down to it... :party:

I dont want a peice of crap but I dont need something as big as a shop floor shaper. There seems to be a lack of quality available in the table top models that are typically available on the market today.

·
Registered
635 Posts
For portability, I use the Rousseau table that folds up with Triton 2 1/4 which is adjustable from the top of the table. For something less portable, build your own.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I like the look of the Kreg table. I have the large one, and absolutly love it. I use a 2-1/4HP Triton router mounted to a Woodpecker aluminum plate in it. I have been very pleased with it. The Woodpecker plates fit the Kreg cut-out. There is no "standard" size for router plates, so make sure the combination you are looking at is compatible.

I am tempted to get the 3-1/4 HP version of the Triton for more oomph. I should have pulled the trigger when Woodcraft had them on sale for $179 a couple of weeks ago, but didn't. Still a good value at $229, though. Nice thing about the Triton routers is that you don't need a seperate router lift. The 2-1/4HP has a through-the-table winder, but the 3-1/4HP version does not, but is still easy to adjuest from below the table. You can change the bits from above the table on both. The 2-1/4HP Triton fits the Porter Cable 7518 hole pattern. Not sure about the larger Triton.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Table decision made! I ended up buying the KREG table top setup today. Seems sturdy, and has a nice sized table but still small enough to store in one of our trailers. Still dont have a router for it though. Never owned one of the TRITON model routers but they intrigue me as being able to be adjusted for height without a separate router lift. I guess I always thought the porter cables were the best so i still am looking that direction.

Rustbucket you mention having a triton 2 1/4hp router on your table. I just have no way of referncing its quality since I have never used or even seen one except online. Am I just a caveman or have I been missing the boat this whole time! Anyone else have any luck with a triton router?

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Grafcustom,
I have been very surprised by the quality of the Triton. I have a couple of Bosch 1617's as well, and I think the Triton is just as good, if not better. At least for router table use. I have never used it as a hand held. It's very smooth and quite (in comparison). Just make sure you follow the instructions for table installation. You MUST remove the plunge spring! If you don't you can damage the height adjustmer screw. This has not happened to me personally, but I have heard of it.

Here is a discussion on Taunton's Knots forum for more opinions on it:

http://forums.finewoodworking.com/fine-woodworking-knots/power-tools-and-machinery/triton-routers

·
Registered
635 Posts
The Triton works well as a handheld. I used to leave it in the table setup but recently used it as a handheld and it worked just fine. A little clunky but the dust extraction collar is great. Very easy to adjust.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Done deal. Ordered the Triton 3 1/4 hp router. I liked the fact that you could adjust and change bits easily from above and big motor. Put the Kreg router table together tonight with my buddy. Seems to be well thought out and nicely made.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Rethink your starting point

I have the same router. You probably don't want to hear this but the Bosch is not a good choice to use in a router table. The fixed base has too much distance between it and the chuck which makes raising bits to the correct height a pain in a router table, especially for low profile bits like roundovers with 1/4" shafts. As for the lift, I have the Jessum model that comes packaged with the Powermatic 2000 table saw. The lift works great but it works much better with a Porter Cable router.

·
Paul
4,120 Posts
Freud makes a pretty decent router that is adjustable from the table top as well. I had
one and never used it much so I gave it to my little brother for making speaker boxes cause he was always borrowing my Festool. I never table mounted it, but from what I remember, it was a pretty nice piece.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
56,672 Posts
Kreg has a few things for the router table setup. The table with the fence along with the stand and then you can add onto it there router mounting system. By the time you are done buying a router you have spent as much as you would on a 3HP shaper.

I have the Kreg router table in my shop right now, with a Bosch 2 1/4 HP router under it. A little under powered but nice setup. This is borrowed and I might actually go out and get one.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
56,672 Posts
Only reason it can work out is that router bits are a lot cheaper than shaper cutters. But what they make up in price is usually burned up in time. The router bit set I was using cost me $116.00 and the shaper cutter would have been near $900. Not sure if I spent enough time to waste that $800 when I made 21 doors, but the router bit was easier to handle than plopping a bunch of my profit into some cutter that I may never use again.

·
Dan
4,822 Posts

I made my own, I keep it in my enclosed trailer. I can run out trim right on the jobsite. I don't get into making doors, cabinet doors etc. I don't need a shaper and the router table fits my needs perfectly. On the addition we are on now. We ripped two different beaded trim profiles all on the router table, along with making shiplap vertical cedar siding. It was handy and I'm very happy with the table, router and overall setup.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts