Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anybody knew of a Web site where they's NEC 2005 test questions. I'm going to take the test soon so I need to get a hold of some good study material!

That horribly written red book isn't cutting it!

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
In previous posts you said you were a contractor. How do things work out there in the land of fruits and nuts?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fruit and nutts?

Teetorbilt said:
In previous posts you said you were a contractor. How do things work out there in the land of fruits and nuts?
Well there's so much work here even the guys who don't know nothing are getting work. The housing boom is just off the charts. So much development going on everywhere.

·
Electrical Contractor
744 Posts
Hope I never buy a house that was built by people not knowing anything!

·
Banned
14,078 Posts

·
Banned
3,292 Posts
Johnny916 said:
Well there's so much work here even the guys who don't know nothing are getting work. The housing boom is just off the charts. So much development going on everywhere.
Hey Grumpy you reading this????????

Any way I know getting a contractor license in CA in harder that just walking in the L&I office and paying a fee. And to be a electrical contractor you need at least 5 year experience I think. You can't just get your master's license right off the street. You have to work for somebody for a while as a apprentice.

Nice try yeah if you want to be a electrical contractor come to WA after you get you masters. They charge hourly no bidding like loball cali. Any were from $50 to $75 an hour.

·
Registered
89 Posts
what test we talkn about johnny916? if its master your in trouble you are not going to make it. if it is journeyman your in for a shock. my advice to you is to take the 6 month course, it might get you by if you got a firm grip on the code and calc already and have done the ojt. but j card dont mean spit where i live master is all that counts. i dont agree with that by the way, we should be able to do residential with the j card. and four years exp in residential. they could have just put some kind of cap on it. any any home owner can wire his house pull a permit do the service - anything -with nnoooooooo exp, but i cant fix a outlet with 15 yrs on the job? silly.

·
Registered
89 Posts
i m going for my masters and let me tell you florida is bad, the test is one thing but there is also finance and credit reports. letters from contractors all kinds of paper work. it is a mess. i figure i started last oct and will be ready to test next jan. with my credentials and buisness courses hopefully finished by then. plus i just accepted a job with teco. the pay is union and unbelivable i dont know if my masters is what i want now.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hi, I'm a newly trained electrical contractor in Sacramento, CA.
I have lots of questions so here's one:

What's the best way to go about hooking up a subpanel?
Does the utility company have to get involved in this?

Assume that a 50A subpanel is needed and a 100A panel exists with 2-3 breakers left.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was wondering if anybody knew of a Web site where they's NEC 2005 test questions. I'm going to take the test soon so I need to get a hold of some good study material!

That horribly written red book isn't cutting it!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well there's so much work here even the guys who don't know nothing are getting work. The housing boom is just off the charts. So much development going on everywhere
I recently went to a house where the lady had dirty power in a couple of her outlets.
She had surge protectors on the outlet's with a few minor appliances plugged into them.
But the light on the surge protectors keep blinking indicating an inconsistent power supply from the outlet.

How should I go about fixing this?
What steps should I take first?
How much should I charge for a job like this?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have lots of questions so here's one:

How many outlet's should I put on one circuit?
I know there's an 1800 watts (120V X 15A) capacity on each circuit but should I calculate the appliances that's going to be used on those circuits up to ALL 1800 watts??
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

dude come on now you are a first or second year, arent you. :cheesygri nothing wrong with that but you really need some supervison or your going to hurt someone, imho --no offense johnny

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
You got'm goin' Pond :Thumbs:

·
Registered
206 Posts
What the HELL did I do NOW !!!

P.S. Better check with the West Coast Division of the Southern California EPA Division before you install a sup panel.

If you are below or in the vicinity of Hydro-Electric power lines running north by north east on a incline of more than 6 degrees, you must first apply for the variance and post bond before applying for permit.

Failure to do so may subject you to fines of up to $500 per day. :eek:

·
Electrical Contractor
2,411 Posts
Marx, I am thinking the SAME thing!
I truly hope the guy is not out there doing work on his own. What's scary is it sounds like that, doesn't it?

Fact is he is in old ladies homes quoting prices for work he has no idea how to do! Just because there is demand doesn't mean you work above your ability.
$hit, this pisses me off!

Does anyone have any brains any more????????

1 - 13 of 13 Posts