Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
41 - 60 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
I guess I'm a bit out of the loop regarding the base with membrane attached. I always use a deck mud pan, and then set the membrane.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
304 Posts
rubber membrane. It was a pinhole from when they installed the granite curb.
Explain that to us. What kind of rubber membrane do you use in a Kerdi shower? And how does a granite curb install produce a pinhole?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Explain that to us. What kind of rubber membrane do you use in a Kerdi shower? And how does a granite curb install produce a pinhole?
Wasn't a kerdi, but simular. First, you install the cement board. Then mortar and tape all joints with manufacturer suggested felt tape (i forget the brand, but was basically the same a kerdi corner tape). Once that's dry, roll on two coats of liquid rubber membrane. It takes 24 to cure, so don't expect to get two coats in one day. It also is noxious, so leave the bath fan on. Then make a mortar bed and set your pan. After that, install your drain. Then install your tile. As far as a pinhole where the curb meets the wall, what happens is that without having a continuous and unseamed piece of granite to run around the entire shower opening, that joint needs to be caulked. What happened, is the silicone shrank enough to allow a pinhole to form. It wouldn't leak all the time, but if there was enough splash back against the glass, it would work its way twards the pinhole and leak. If you need more information on shower or tub installs, there's plenty of videos on YouTube, or you can call a professional. Hope that helps!

·
Registered
304 Posts
Wasn't a kerdi, but simular
Neight, I know you are new here, so perhaps you don't know how a forum works. The way a forum works is we talk about the OP (original post) problem. NOT YOURS. If you want to ask a question or tell a story about your own issues you open up your own thread.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Neight, I know you are new here, so perhaps you don't know how a forum works. The way a forum works is we talk about the OP (original post) problem. NOT YOURS. If you want to ask a question or tell a story about your own issues you open up your own thread.
I've been here since January 2020. You've been here 11 months, want to split hairs? If you scroll back, i did respond to the OP. I explained i had a leak form in a shower i installed. Then, a couple dumbasses questioned my post. And here we are. I don't need to open a thread, i know what i'm doing. I'm just here to help, because I've seen a lot and if i can give some advice, then I'm happy to do so. Hope you're having an awesome weekend!

·
GC/carpenter
43,965 Posts
I don't think it's a rule to open your own thread to post about your personal experience as it pertains to the OP.

Mike.
___

·
PCI
General Contracting
687 Posts
Nobody mentioned the hackery hole in the floor? The holes in the wall, looks like screw holes?

The base is suppose to be set in unmodified thinset too. I don't see it ozing through the white base.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Wasn't a kerdi, but simular. First, you install the cement board. Then mortar and tape all joints with manufacturer suggested felt tape (i forget the brand, but was basically the same a kerdi corner tape). Once that's dry, roll on two coats of liquid rubber membrane. It takes 24 to cure, so don't expect to get two coats in one day. It also is noxious, so leave the bath fan on. Then make a mortar bed and set your pan. After that, install your drain. Then install your tile. As far as a pinhole where the curb meets the wall, what happens is that without having a continuous and unseamed piece of granite to run around the entire shower opening, that joint needs to be caulked. What happened, is the silicone shrank enough to allow a pinhole to form. It wouldn't leak all the time, but if there was enough splash back against the glass, it would work its way twards the pinhole and leak. If you need more information on shower or tub installs, there's plenty of videos on YouTube, or you can call a professional. Hope that helps!
Luckily it's not my job to convince you.
Okay based on your above post I'm totally convinced you don't know as much as you think you do. First the "tape" isn't felt, 2nd liquid memnrane isn't applied based on amount of coats, 3rd caulk should never be the water seal in a tiled shower.

·
Registered
10 Posts
35 years zero leaks Skippy
leaks happen, it's not a big deal. I find it hard to believe in 35 years you've never had a leak. My guess is you suck so bad that your clients are having someone else fix your leaks, or they simply don't like you and are having somebody fix them. Plus, you're taking away from the original post, so we'll be done now, Skippy.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Okay based on your above post I'm totally convinced you don't know as much as you think you do. First the "tape" isn't felt, 2nd liquid memnrane isn't applied based on amount of coats, 3rd caulk should never be the water seal in a tiled shower.
I don't know the chemical make up of the tape, but it's basically felt. Yes, following manufacturers guidelines, it's measured in coats. Third, silicone serves a purpose. It's a waterproof seal used around tubs and sinks.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
I don't know the chemical make up of the tape, but it's basically felt. Yes, following manufacturers guidelines, it's measured in coats. Third, silicone serves a purpose. It's a waterproof seal used around tubs and sinks.
Well if it's felt I'll pick it up at the craft/fabric store. No it is not measured in coats an no silicone is crap if you have to use silicone in a tiled shower to stop a leak then you did something wrong which means rrk has been doing it right.

41 - 60 of 78 Posts