Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
21 - 40 of 78 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Whoopee a whole 4 years. Only my friends call me dick or something similar. This site is for professionals and your original post didn't sound anything near professional. .

I agree it doesn't matter how long someone has been doing something, there's always something that can be learned. But what are you learning by trying to put a bandaid on an issue. That makes the Flex tape post completely appropriate
Whoopee a whole 4 years. Only my friends call me dick or something similar. This site is for professionals and your original post didn't sound anything near professional. .

I agree it doesn't matter how long someone has been doing something, there's always something that can be learned. But what are you learning by trying to put a bandaid on an issue. That makes the Flex tape post completely appropriate

I see you edited your initial post.
Very good.
The reason I said "huh" was because your initial post was very hard to read and understand.
Good luck with your leak.
Lol yeah sorry about that I didn't proofread and realized my talk to text was inserting double of what I was saying. Appreciate it 馃憣馃徑 I've always dreaded this scenario. Just wish I had an explanation as to what failed. It would seem that in tearing out it would be hard to determine where the failure occurred ( if it's not blatantly obvious ) and it's something hard to notice or decifer considering the damage caused while removing... does that make sense... lol

Registered
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
What is that brown stuff on the walls and what is the floor? I don't see any Kerdi except the corner tape. Am I missing something? I thought this was a Kerdi shower,
The walls are hardiebacker with hydrodefense technology fully waterproof and kerdi pan and band

Registered
Yeah 4 yrs self employed and over 15 in the construction industry so I'm far from whatever you smart comment was implying. As for a " band-aid " I believe I was made myself clear that I was aware it isn't the best option and will ultimately do whatever it takes to remedy the issue but wanted to see if there was a product that was reputable and proven considering there wouldn't be a market for it if it wasn't feasible. It's a very minor leak or there would be more water saturation after running it for an hour so it is possible to fix the issue with the proper product and application. Having never had to tear out any of my installs up to this point should be a indicator that I must know a little more than you proposed.
Sidenote: You can Flex tape these nuts to your lips Karen " " How bout Dat " 馃枙馃徑馃槵 馃槀
15 years isn't even half of my experience "So Take That" I'll bet 100 percent of the professionals on this forum would do a tear out. Never tearing one out and you don't want to do your first but rather a band aid says a lot regardless if your client is okay with it.

Stick with the Flex tape since you're just experimenting.

Registered
Demo
No tile has been done for over a year but recently started leaking and yes everything was done per spec. I don't claim to be the best but I have installed nearly 100 shower systems and never had one leak till this year. It's very frustrating as I'm particularly thorough and ocd when it comes to my work. Worst case scenario I will just put a primer on the existing floor remove old drain and re-tile vs tearing out. But would like to experiment with a reputable penetrating solvent based sealer. It's for a good friend of mine and don't matter to him either way as long as issue is resolved.
If it was a shower I had installed, I鈥檇 be ripping it out. If it was for a good friend of mine, I wouldn鈥檛 even be talking about it. Rip it out already.

It鈥檚 already leaking and you want to tile over it? That鈥檚 the stuff of hack legend.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Can you get into the wall from behind? I'd be looking to rule out other stuff, like plumbing joints, shower arm, etc.
Can you get into the wall from behind? I'd be looking to rule out other stuff, like plumbing joints, shower arm, etc.
Yes I cut a hole in the adjoining room and inspected and put my snake camera in there as well bc its in a tight space in hall bathroom linen closet thats like fkn 12 wide. Unfortunately didn't notice any leaks from pipes. Which i was sure that it was coming from a waterline. It's possible I could have missed something like I said it was difficult to get a good sight on it other than the snake cam.

Registered
Custom
And he said if we can fix with a water impermeable sealant vs tearing out he's ok if I have re-coat it down the road. Of course if it were a typical customer I would be tearing out but he's not.
Did he pay you to do the work? Regardless if he's a friend, doesn't that just make him a customer? If he did indeed pay you, treat him as you would any other customer and do right by him...

If the bandaid doesn't work, then what? You're back revisiting it again and then likely end up redoing it anyway...

Registered
I installed a shower for a customer and about a week later she said it was leaking in the basement (shower on 2nd floor). After determining it wasn't a plumbing issue, i carefully went over every joint and discovered a small gap in the caulking in the corner of the curb. Wasn't much, but enough to allow water through. Cut it out, re caulked, problem fixed.

Registered
Demo
Maybe just bore a hole into the wall cavity and stuff it full of cat litter. That'll hold for a bit.

Registered
I installed a shower for a customer and about a week later she said it was leaking in the basement (shower on 2nd floor). After determining it wasn't a plumbing issue, i carefully went over every joint and discovered a small gap in the caulking in the corner of the curb. Wasn't much, but enough to allow water through. Cut it out, re caulked, problem fixed.
So you are relying on a caulk joint to keep a shower from leaking? How was the shower waterproofed under the tile?

Registered
Schluter stuff must be a waste of time if caulk works, I could have saved lots of time and money by just relying on caulk

Registered
shouldn't the schluter drain assembly be set before the kerdi membrane. I'm not saying thats the cause of your leak, but if the pic above is a pic of the shower in question, it needs to be ripped out

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Registered
shouldn't the schluter drain assembly be set before the kerdi membrane. I'm not saying thats the cause of your leak, but if the pic above is a pic of the shower in question, it needs to be ripped out
He's using a Schluter foam base, which comes with the membrane already attached. So no, that's not the problem.

21 - 40 of 78 Posts