Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I understand that it's not recommended but I'm willing to at least try something 1st before having to tear out the shower Pan as it has a small leak. Not 100% sure where it's coming from but think it's the corner where pan meets curb... I've never had a shower pan leak on me and I've done many mud beds but as of the last few years have been using Schluter kerdi systems pan and curb I've seen a couple products like like CPC product, bond all, HyperDesmo T, Mega Sealed... but they are all in Austria it seems or overseas and need in the next 2 weeks locally. Just curious if anybody has ever attempted to try to seal a leaking shower Pan with success and what product you used? Thanks

·
Registered
11,560 Posts
Please clarify. This is pre-tile and you have water-tested the pan and it's leaking? And it's covered in kerdi membrane, with lapped inside corners and all that? If so, I'd say kerdifix, then slather it all in aquadefense.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Please clarify. This is pre-tile and you have water-tested the pan and it's leaking? And it's covered in kerdi membrane, with lapped inside corners and all that? If so, I'd say kerdifix, then slather it all in aquadefense.
No tile has been done for over a year but recently started leaking and yes everything was done per spec. I don't claim to be the best but I have installed nearly 100 shower systems and never had one leak till this year. It's very frustrating as I'm particularly thorough and ocd when it comes to my work. Worst case scenario I will just put a primer on the existing floor remove old drain and re-tile vs tearing out. But would like to experiment with a reputable penetrating solvent based sealer. It's for a good friend of mine and don't matter to him either way as long as issue is resolved.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If its pre-tile … remove & replace.
It's not unfortunately and did water test as always before shower floor installation and was g2g which is frustrating that its just now presenting a leak... I explained below a little more. Thanks

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Works on John boats..
😂
Trying to cover up a leak for a sell?

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk
Lol gtfoh Dalai Lama spare me your moral b.s.

·
Registered
304 Posts
There is some crucial missing info here.
1. You say 100 showers. So you are a pro tile installer, yes?
2. You don't know where the leak is. What have you done to locate it?
3. How and where do you propose to apply this hypothetical sealer if you don't know where the leak is?
4. Assume you found the leak. What kind of 'sealer" do you envision and how would it seal the leak? Meaning, how would the sealer get to a point behind the tile and thinset where the leak is? At least conceptually.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
You've done nearly 100 showers never had one leak, maybe 99 of them did leak but you've only been called back on one which happens to be your friend. Every leaking shower I've redone including Kerdi wasn't done by me. From my experience once there's workmanship or product failure people just don't want the original contractor back.

Not sayin you do hack work but Im not one to waste my time experimenting, find the cause, fix the problem then I can sleep at night.

·
Eater of sins.
4,687 Posts
I can't think of anything other than tearing the pan out and putting in new.

I think that I trust any newcomers that say they have done so many products in a particular trade that they must be a pro or at the very least an apprentice so your word is good with me.

100 pans I think makes you a pro.

Andy.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You've done nearly 100 showers never had one leak, maybe 99 of them did leak but you've only been called back on one which happens to be your friend. Every leaking shower I've redone including Kerdi wasn't done by me. From my experience once there's workmanship or product failure people just don't want the original contractor back.

Not sayin you do hack work but Im not one to waste my time experimenting, find the cause, fix the problem then I can sleep at night.
Yeah I have done 30 or so with a contractor when I first entered the field and have done easily 60-70 on my own. I believe the leak to be in the corner of the pan where it meets the curb. I say this bc judging by where I seen moisture on subfloor in exposed ceiling in basement. I say I'm not sure bc it could be coming from somewhere in that proximity and traveling to that spot potentially... And he said if we can fix with a water impermeable sealant vs tearing out he's ok if I have re-coat it down the road. Of course if it were a typical customer I would be tearing out but he's not. I don't understand why it took a year to show signs of moisture? And as I said joists are open and able to keep a close eye on it. No water damage has been done thus far. It's not uncommon to be able to remedy a small leak with the proper product and application and it's worth a try if it does whether that be replacing floor with an epoxy grout and matching silicone in wall joints or a waterproof sealant/clear membrane up to the first row of tile.
Everything was kerdi banded, inside/outside corners set with kerdi unmodified morter no variances from standard procedures. I'm curious if someone the pan membrane sustained damaged somehow causing it to eventually fail...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I can't think of anything other than tearing the pan out and putting in new.

I think that I trust any newcomers that say they have done so many products in a particular trade that they must be a pro or at the very least an apprentice so your word is good with me.

100 pans I think makes you a pro.

Andy.
Yeah If I have to tear out and replace it so be it but would like to see if any of the " repair products " on the market are effective. And professional in my opinion is someone who has 20-30+ yrs experience and has seen it all with not much more to learn... I've been tiling for almost 10 years and very confident in my abilities but I try to keep my mindset of not being or portraying to know it all which allows me to remain teachable and never let myself think that I know it all bc that doesn't ensue much room for growth. I do have alot of experience not just in tile but multiple trades and own my own remodeling business which has provided well for my family and have never in almost 4yrs in business ( for myself ) had an issue with poor workmanship for any ass hats " Avenge " that want to make ******* comments about this being a site for " professionals " lol dick

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Yeah If I have to tear out and replace it so be it but would like to see if any of the " repair products " on the market are effective. And professional in my opinion is someone who has 20-30+ yrs experience and has seen it all with not much more to learn... I've been tiling for almost 10 years and very confident in my abilities but I try to keep my mindset of not being or portraying to know it all which allows me to remain teachable and never let myself think that I know it all bc that doesn't ensue much room for growth. I do have alot of experience not just in tile but multiple trades and own my own remodeling business which has provided well for my family and have never in almost 4yrs in business ( for myself ) had an issue with poor workmanship for any ass hats " Avenge " that want to make *** comments about this being a site for " professionals " lol dick
Whoopee a whole 4 years. Only my friends call me dick or something similar. This site is for professionals and your original post didn't sound anything near professional. .

I agree it doesn't matter how long someone has been doing something, there's always something that can be learned. But what are you learning by trying to put a bandaid on an issue. That makes the Flex tape post completely appropriate

·
Radical Basement Dweller
29,498 Posts
Lol gtfoh Dalai Lama spare me your moral b.s.

I see you edited your initial post.
Very good.
The reason I said "huh" was because your initial post was very hard to read and understand.
Good luck with your leak.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Whoopee a whole 4 years. Only my friends call me dick or something similar. This site is for professionals and your original post didn't sound anything near professional. .

I agree it doesn't matter how long someone has been doing something, there's always something that can be learned. But what are you learning by trying to put a bandaid on an issue. That makes the Flex tape post completely appropriate
Yeah 4 yrs self employed and over 15 in the construction industry so I'm far from whatever you smart comment was implying. As for a " band-aid " I believe I was made myself clear that I was aware it isn't the best option and will ultimately do whatever it takes to remedy the issue but wanted to see if there was a product that was reputable and proven considering there wouldn't be a market for it if it wasn't feasible. It's a very minor leak or there would be more water saturation after running it for an hour so it is possible to fix the issue with the proper product and application. Having never had to tear out any of my installs up to this point should be a indicator that I must know a little more than you proposed.
Sidenote: You can Flex tape these nuts to your lips Karen " " How bout Dat " 🖕🏽😬 😂

·
Registered
304 Posts
What is that brown stuff on the walls and what is the floor? I don't see any Kerdi except the corner tape. Am I missing something? I thought this was a Kerdi shower,

1 - 20 of 78 Posts