Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
GC/carpenter
44,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which is the better printer. All around print quality, best color, speed, and cost

·
The Ultimate Wire Hider
4,455 Posts
Considering the low-low price of an inkjet these days, you can't beat it.

·
I'm a Mac
5,487 Posts
I think most people have the 5 in 1 ink jets for under $150 and when they run out of ink...throw em out and buy another. HP usually has some on special or being discontinued.

·
Registered
Remodel
31,655 Posts
I don't think there is a simple answer to this one. HP, Epson, Brother, Canon all make some good ones, but from there you have to do some research. If you need it to do photos or large formats or archival ink, that makes a difference.

Personally, I'd pick ink jet for the typical situation. I've used Epson for a long time, just because I don't want ink that runs when it gets wet. The down side to that is it's expensive ink.

Chris' suggestion is a viable approach - I've done this as well.

·
Registered
Custom cabinetry
9,178 Posts
I have a full size copier in my office but before that I used laser, nothing beats laser.

I went to a full size machine so I could print, scan, and copy 11x17, as well as make handout books, etc. Mine will fold and staple 11x17 sheets into a nice 8.5x11 book. I open the pdf, select print, set it to food and staple and before you know it there is a book on the floor.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
Ink jets are cheap and all, but it is quite frustrating to have to stop everything because due to an empty Magenta cartridge. I like laser printers, you get an ample heads up, and only have to change out the cartridge in about a year and a half.

·
Fine Handcrafted Opinions
994 Posts
Laser all the way. Ink jet's are just a mechanism to sell ink, and a rip off.

Just got a laser after the ink jet crapped out (and after keeping the local Staples in business buying ink for it) and it's tremendous.

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Not sure where you guys buy your ink. It cost me $10 with free shipping to change out every cartridge in my canon printer. Think my printer was $200 I normally go through 4-5 sets of cartridges a year so I'm not a big user of the printer but def cheaper than buying 4-5 printers a year.

·
I'm a Mac
5,487 Posts
Inner10 said:
Ink jets are useless.
This is true, just very cheap upfront cost.

I use ink jet at home for the kids, Staples employee encouraged me to pay 19.99 for a 2 year warranty...then whispered to return it around 18 months for a full refund since the paper is jamming...it's been 6 months, I'll keep you posted...oh ya and it came with a free Kuerig coffee maker

Look online for deals, we have Kijiji in Canada as a buy, trade and sell website, it's owed by eBay but no fees to list or sell. I got a Ricoh 3600 colour photocopier, fax, scanner, printer that was 4 years old from the local CAA office (AAA for my friends in the south), list brand new on this thing was $ 18,000.00...I paid $ 500.00...still using the toner cartridges that came with it. Needed one service call, cost me $ 234.00. So the deals are out there if you look.

·
GC/carpenter
44,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I want one with dual trays for different kinds of paper, one with my letterhead and one with regular paper.

Remember, I have a wife that's a school teacher, so she prints in multiples of 30. Plus I have 2 teenagers.

I want to narrow it down to one good printer. At the moment my home has 4 printers and that's rediculous.

Thanks to all

·
GC/carpenter
44,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What about LED printers anyone have any knowledge on these? I've seen them at costco.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
What about LED printers anyone have any knowledge on these? I've seen them at costco.
LED and Laser are damn near the same, but you will begin to see far less laser and more LED since they are more energy efficient and cheaper to manufacture.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
I woudn't go crazy for a home office printer but I'd probably get something in the 700-1200 dollar range like an MF9220 or MF8580.

·
Hair Splitter
18,333 Posts
I switched from ink to laser when I started remodeling. One of the biggest factor was page printed on ink jets cannot get wet! What a mess! Also laser was a bigger upfront investment, but in the long run much cheaper per print and copy.

I had a cdn color model and loved it. I printed all kinds of marketing materials on it. After three years it started dumping a line of black toner on everything. I spent $600 replacing parts and still had the issue. Print head, rollers, the works. Finally got a new one, black and white, and am okay with having Staples or FedEx print my marketing materials. I also found printforless.com who now prints all my marketing materials.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts