Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Remodeler
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I've stumbled long enough and want to be able to understand both local and national codes and the differences in them for my local. I see national books for $80.00 or so and local NY code books for about the same. I don't see anything for my city and wonder if they are different.
Being fairly new in business I don't really have $160.00 to burn on books so I'm asking for help in finding the information I need.
I would love to find a place on-line where I could look up codes as needed.
Anyone have any input. Thank you if you do.

·
General Contractor
1,035 Posts
What codes does NY use? BOCA, UBC, IBC? There aren't many code search sites, at least that I've found. Everybody wants their piece of the pie so everyone charges for them. Your local building department should have a website where you should be able to download the codes that the locals have changed or amended.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
MinConst said:
Being fairly new in business I don't really have $160.00 to burn on books
Don't let the cost of opportunities lost in the process of looking for 'free' info (that estimate you could have done, the sales call you might have otherwise made) exceed the savings realized by not buying the book. Plus, there's nothing like having the book there on the shelf in front of you when you need it. Not having to guess might save you ten times the cost of the book.

·
Commercial construction
606 Posts
MinConst,
Here in New York State we use a modified version of the International Residential Code , It's call the Residential Code of New York State. You can get a copy from BNI Books at www.bnibooks.com

ACI 318-02 Building Code Requirements for Structural Concrete is also a good investment when you start to get ahead.

There are many others that you should have. When you're ready, e-mail me and I'll help you out all that I can.

Your may have local codes in your area, check with your local code enforcement office.

·
Electrical Contractor
214 Posts
I don't see how buying a code book for your profession would be "Burning" money. :confused: Shouldn't the books be one of the first things you buy? I would check with your local building officials to see what codes they have eneacted and get books for those codes.

·
Commercial construction
606 Posts
Electricmanscot,
Not many electricians work without a code book. However, in residential construction, it is not uncommon for "pickup truck" contractors to work for their entire lives without ever seeing a code book.

Many of these guys have never applied for a building permit, and have never even had any of their work inspected by a code enforcement official.

There are hundreds, if not thousands, of small contractors like these in my area. Most are uninsured, and work cheap. Bidding against these guys is part of everyday life for me.

·
Remodeler
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the help Mike, and everyone else. I ordered the Residential Code of New York State. I want to move from the pickup truck contractor stigma to a respected remodeler / GC.
I'm sure the code book will help allot and the cost was not as bad as the others I found. I would still like to find an on-line version someplace even if there were a small fee attached it would be nice.
Maybe it would be a good line to get into for someone to offer this sort of service :)

·
Registered
118 Posts
New York Codes

Paul
I.m glad to see you bought a code book, What type of construction do you do. Did you JUST buy the RCNY or all of them, I know they seem very expensive but you will save money in the long run. there is NO free code books or web site here is the N.Y.S. Codes Dept Web Site a lot of info can be obtained here (www.dos.state.ny.us/code/ls-codes.html )

For you comm. contractors check out the site and see what was just repealed
If i can be any help e-mail me
al

·
Remodeler
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Al,
Thanks for the link it all helps.
I do mainly small remodel jobs now. I am trying to build the business and do want to do it right. I did just buy the RCNY book. There seems to be many. I will pick them up as I need them. May I ask what part of Upstate your from?

·
Electrical Contractor
2,411 Posts
I have the NYSRBC book since that is what we follow for one and two family dwellings. I like it but it is weird for me to use since I am used to the NEC.

I feel it is necessary to have the proper refrence and is worth the +/-$60. I don't really feel it is necessary for the average contractor to have the complete set of volumes. I have seen them and I know I don't have enough wall space in my office for them. Luckily I don't need tnem.;)

·
Commercial construction
606 Posts
As a general contractor, code violations put the public at risk, lead to lawsuits, ruin your reputation, make it difficult or impossible to prevail in a dispute, make for costly fixes to pass inspections, can cause the loss of your license or insurance coverage, and be the source of great embarrassment. MinConst, you're doing the right thing.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Code Books

Hi Paul

There are 7 code books

Building code NYS
Energy Conservation Construction Code NYS
Fire code of NYS
Mechanical code of NYS
Plumbing code of NYS
Property Maintenance code of NYS
Residential code of NYS

You don't need all the books just the ones which pertain to your
trade.
The book you bought RCNYS, has for example in it snow l load,footing & foundation,plumbing, electrical and even
requirements for swimming pools & hot tubs,spas. The sections
that don't pertain to your trade take it out the book and sell it to
some one who could use it which will off set your org. cost.
I hope you bought the loose leaf book.

·
Registered
83 Posts
We just bought (International Residential Code) at Borders Book store and if you tell them you are a contractor they will give you a 20% discount on code books.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts