Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a job yesterday where I'll need to paint several very large old barns. Home owner will provide paint, lift, pressure washer, airless sprayer, etc. The barns are red and he wants them red again. I said I'd find paint to recommend. Started researching and I like the Behr Barn & Fence Paint, but don't want to suggest something without getting your opinions first. What red barn paint have you used and/or would recommend?

I've attached a picture from a post on this forum that looks very much like what I'll be painting. The barns I'll be painting have a lot of bare wood showing much like the picture attached. I especially like the Behr product because, although it is water cleanup, it says it has some oil in it. Your opinions would be greatly appreciated.

From the Behr product page:
An advanced exterior paint combining the best features of oil and latex for superior color retention, adhesion, penetration and durability. Finish: Flat finish

Thanks for any and all input!
Antlerman Window Sky Wood Fixture Building material

·
Registered
Custom
13,689 Posts
I'm the painter!
If you are a pro-painter and not ALSO the homeowner who is doing the painting, then how do you explain this?

Got a job yesterday where I'll need to paint several very large old barns. Home owner will provide paint, lift, pressure washer, airless sprayer, etc.
Don't know a pro who would use the HO's equipment considering the liability involved...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you are a pro-painter and not ALSO the homeowner who is doing the painting, then how do you explain this?

Don't know a pro who would use the HO's equipment considering the liability involved...
Fair enough question. My father was a painting contractor for 30 years and I too was a contractor for several years before entering the business office world. Many days I wish I had stayed with working with my hands, but that's another story. So, I'm taking this as side work, from a friend, to supplement our household income. That's why I don't have a lift, sprayer, etc...

Having said that, I realize that over the past 20 years paint/paint products have changed considerably. To top that off, we generally did new construction and/or commercial work vs barn painting.

Hope that helps, now I would sincerely appreciate any input you have.

Thanks

·
Stelzer Painting Inc.
187 Posts
I just read the TDS for that stuff, lol. Recommended wet film thickness is 8 mils. I'd like to see that done without running all over the place. Also, when brushing/rolling, it recommends a roller nap of 3/8"-3/4", which is exponentially more laughable to achieve 8 mils WFT. It also mentions to always back-brush or backroll, which would make it completely impossible to achieve much more than half their WFT recommendations without runs & sags, unless you were painting in direct sun on a hot day. Keep in mind the solids content is about 35%.

To the OP; no, I haven't used this stuff, but whether you use it or not should probably depend upon what your customer's expectations are, the condition of the substrate, and whether you're painting wood with high concentrations of tannin. Nobody can really give you the "best" advice without knowing those facts. You might as well let the owner pick the product too, since it sounds like he's doing all but actually applying the paint.

Their TDS for resin type specifies it as "oil-latex", though it gives no explanation or clarification if it's and oil-modified, acrylic alkyd, etc. In any event, I wouldn't make one of your deciding factors be, as you said, "cuz it's got some oil in it". Hope it all works out for you. Good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Everything needed but paint AND a painter :) Which is where I come in.
He rents out equipment, so has easy access to lift & pressure washer. He is willing to buy an airless sprayer if needed. I think I'll follow steltzerpaintings advice and tell him to pick the paint he wants me to use.
Everything I've said here is 100% true and I am in no way trying to be misleading. Simply trying to put to work my professional painting skills to make ends meet. Honestly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Really! Well, that's very interesting. My dad (and then myself too for a few years) used strictly SWP.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Whichever paint that you use, try and get a ready mixed color or have the paint store match the color using safety red safety paint. Ready mixed safety red has ground in red pigment. If the paint store shoots a lot of red color it will most likely fade in the sun. It will be an awful purple looking color in a year. I used to use a Devoe or Sherwin Williams paint. I'm pretty sure they both have a safety red and it looks like shooting some black into it would get you close to the color.

Many years ago I painted a man's home and he insisted on using Sears paint. I couldn't talk him out of it. It was a chocolate brown color. The color pigment floated in that paint after it was applied and it looked awful. That was the first and last time that I used an inferior paint at a customer's request. I would stick with a big paint company.

You mentioned a lot of bare wood. How do you plan to prepare this wood before painting. Are you going to sand it. prime it?

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
You'll get some good Pro input here for sure. Me, no Behr paint, please...? Start with 1 barn. Finish as per plan. Then proceed with what has been learned.

Get with this guy. He has developed several revenue streams. I think you can get a reasonable consult and a lot of free advice and experience.

...and where is this job located ?

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Barns are a tough call. Most owner expectations far exceed the reality. Most old barns are so far gone that labor costs to do them right usually shock the owner. I stopped doing these old barns years ago. How many times have I heard “I just want to clean it up and get a few more years out of it”

Most manufacturers make an economy line barn and fence paint.
Power washing is probably best way to remove old paint and deteriorated wood fibers. Painting over old wood fibers are main cause of early paint failure.
If you could get the owner to buy oil primer that will help, then go with an economy line finish. Where it comes from won’t make much difference.

I like what someone else said, let him pick it out.

·
Registered
GC
1,024 Posts
Professional painters that know anything about painting don't use Behr.
Why is that?
I generally use Benjamin More because my clients think it must be the best since it's the most expensive. I have no strong feelings about any brand of paint, except BM Advance, love the way that stuff lays down.

·
Registered
GC
1,024 Posts
Barns are a tough call. Most owner expectations far exceed the reality. Most old barns are so far gone that labor costs to do them right usually shock the owner. I stopped doing these old barns years ago. How many times have I heard “I just want to clean it up and get a few more years out of it”

Most manufacturers make an economy line barn and fence paint.
Power washing is probably best way to remove old paint and deteriorated wood fibers. Painting over old wood fibers are main cause of early paint failure.
If you could get the owner to buy oil primer that will help, then go with an economy line finish. Where it comes from won’t make much difference.

I like what someone else said, let him pick it out.
A lot of people that ask for a paint job think they're getting a restoration. I always ask them what they think the structure will look like when it's done. The answer is always "like a new building".

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Why is that?
I generally use Benjamin More because my clients think it must be the best since it's the most expensive. I have no strong feelings about any brand of paint, except BM Advance, love the way that stuff lays down.
When I judge a paint it's mainly based on how it applies, 2nd how it looks. Behr is horrible to work with it's like spreading tar. No paints are as good as they used to be, companys keep buying others and not changing products for the better.

Advance is okay overated it does not lay down to my standards and I question the durability. I'm using B&M now because my options are getting thin they have junk like everyone else.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts