Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
12,094 Posts
I have a client who has textured drywall throughout the entire house, minus the bathrooms. The original owners of the house painted one accent wall downstairs and all of the bedrooms upstairs using Olympic's One Interior Semi-Gloss Enamel Paint and Primer in One. The other walls are painted using semi-matte. The new owners want to change the wall colors and the wife is not thrilled with all of the textured walls, but the biggest priority according to the husband is just to be able to paint over the walls.
I'm concerned that if I start taking an electric sander, then the walls that are painted in semi-gloss is going to rubber up and I might end up remudding it. If I do that I might as well remud the entire house. I'm a new small business and only have 2 other guys working with me at the moment. I want to figure out what options I can offer my clients that is the least expensive and time-consuming.
Just be careful you don't lose your shirt on this one. Maybe it's my imagination, but it sounds like you are a bit over-committed in trying to give them something below its fair price. She wants x, but he's trying to tell you "the biggest priority is y". I can see where this is going.

Just my two cents - been there before.

·
Registered
12,094 Posts
Is skim coating really the only option available? We'll have to do the entire house if we do that. There's no other options? I just know what I would charge to do that is out of their budget and I'm new and trying to build clients and they are both really networked in the area with where they work.
If that's out of their budget, what more do you need to know? Only other thing I can think of is to get a price from a finisher - maybe it would be cheaper, though it won't make you a nickel.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts