Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a client who has textured drywall throughout the entire house, minus the bathrooms. The original owners of the house painted one accent wall downstairs and all of the bedrooms upstairs using Olympic's One Interior Semi-Gloss Enamel Paint and Primer in One. The other walls are painted using semi-matte. The new owners want to change the wall colors and the wife is not thrilled with all of the textured walls, but the biggest priority according to the husband is just to be able to paint over the walls.
I'm concerned that if I start taking an electric sander, then the walls that are painted in semi-gloss is going to rubber up and I might end up remudding it. If I do that I might as well remud the entire house. I'm a new small business and only have 2 other guys working with me at the moment. I want to figure out what options I can offer my clients that is the least expensive and time-consuming.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Make sure all loose or non adhered paint is removed, prime over that with good bonding primer and skim coat the texture, sand smooth.
Seal, prime and paint.

Charge the crap out of the home owners too.

Andy.
Is skim coating really the only option available? We'll have to do the entire house if we do that. There's no other options? I just know what I would charge to do that is out of their budget and I'm new and trying to build clients and they are both really networked in the area with where they work.

·
Registered
11,835 Posts
I have a client who has textured drywall throughout the entire house, minus the bathrooms. The original owners of the house painted one accent wall downstairs and all of the bedrooms upstairs using Olympic's One Interior Semi-Gloss Enamel Paint and Primer in One. The other walls are painted using semi-matte. The new owners want to change the wall colors and the wife is not thrilled with all of the textured walls, but the biggest priority according to the husband is just to be able to paint over the walls.
I'm concerned that if I start taking an electric sander, then the walls that are painted in semi-gloss is going to rubber up and I might end up remudding it. If I do that I might as well remud the entire house. I'm a new small business and only have 2 other guys working with me at the moment. I want to figure out what options I can offer my clients that is the least expensive and time-consuming.
Just be careful you don't lose your shirt on this one. Maybe it's my imagination, but it sounds like you are a bit over-committed in trying to give them something below its fair price. She wants x, but he's trying to tell you "the biggest priority is y". I can see where this is going.

Just my two cents - been there before.

·
Registered
11,835 Posts
Is skim coating really the only option available? We'll have to do the entire house if we do that. There's no other options? I just know what I would charge to do that is out of their budget and I'm new and trying to build clients and they are both really networked in the area with where they work.
If that's out of their budget, what more do you need to know? Only other thing I can think of is to get a price from a finisher - maybe it would be cheaper, though it won't make you a nickel.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I'd start out by repainting one of the walls that is currently semi-gloss with a paint with less sheen. Then, let the HO live with it for a day or two. Sometimes different paint can make an offensive texture much less offensive.

·
Thom
4,137 Posts
You didn't describe the texture, but skimming creates a new set of issues.

Your skim is up to trim and may be a problem. You may have issues at openings (receptacles and fixtures) and possibly cabinets, fireplaces, etc.

sanding the paint will not be simple. Here everything is textured before paint. Repairing drywall damage requires sanding off the paint and texture back about a foot from the repair then refinishing. I use a power sander, it is time consuming. Sanding ceilings is a killer on the arms, for a patch. I can't imagine doing a whole house.

Repaints over texture are no problem. You will probably be fine even without primer (but a quality paint) but if you are changing colors primer will probably help.

Reactions: hdavis

·
Pro
435 Posts

The down side of skimming is it can at times take 2-3 coats to get the walls to be good, smooth and even depending on the type of texture the walls already have, but I am a perfectionist personally. Depending on what your labor charges are you can always work them up a price for pulling the drywall down and going with new rock on the walls. I have been able to pull that off a few times on smaller jobs, never worked a larger job on that as textured walls are not really that common in my area when it comes to residential. But, I do think a LOT of my hourly rate.

If you do go with the skimming route, and you may have already considered this.. but.. put a guy on a roller... give the most skilled guy at floating the 24" metal "super guide" ( http://www.sherwin-williams.com/arc...ies/wallpaper-tools-paste/tools/&N=1520643499 ) or they have a Do-All Scraper which is 20", and the last guy 6" and narrower knives for the areas behind the door casing and around outlets etc. It really speeds the process up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts