Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
Carpenter
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im in the new tool buying mode and trying to find better ways to organize, transport tools.

I saw an old thread on here that talked about your favorite tool organizers and got some really great ideas.

I am going to order one of those plastic mobile tool cart deals today but was wondering which one is the best. Theres a lot to choose from. Just going by the looks Im leaning towards the bostitch or the dewalt. But figure I would check in on your opionions before hand

Do they make one that is waterproof I wonder?

·
Registered
Carpenter
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was just thinking a little rain. Like those fat max boxes, quite waterproof. Im always leaving those on the back of my truck with no leaks.

Systainers are nice but little too expensive for what I am looking for.

The portable ones I am looking at are like a hundred bucks or so. And think there just what I am looking for. I was all set on ordering the fat max one but then I noticed there many different brands/kinds to choose from. So before I pulled the trigger just figured I ask around about the best one.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,736 Posts
My FatMax currently carries 106 lbs of tools. It's a bear to lift into the truck. But I make only a few trips now instead of a whole bunch.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,736 Posts
For me it's not everyday use. I use it during installs. Depending what I'm building I may use it once a week or once a month. But it always has tools in it. It's always in my shop and I'm picking tools out of it.

I've been thinking about buying a second one in case this one does break down. But so far it seems to be quite study. I treat it with care. I don't beat on it and I don't go down stairs quickly, I go gently.

Mine is a bit overstuffed and the top doesn't quite line up with the bottom on the front anymore. Mine wouldn't be rain proof because of the small gap that is always present. I'd buy another one without hesitation. It is a fantastic time saver.

First day I bought it I figure it saved me $25 in time (buck a minute). 3 more days and it paid for itself just in labor walking back and forth to the truck.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,736 Posts
Are those fatmax ones the $50 22" ones from Home Depot? I think I will grab one tomorrow.
I paid $99 for mine when I first saw them. Of course the next week the price was $79 and that's where it stayed. So that price you found is a good one if it's the same animal.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,736 Posts
1 - 20 of 42 Posts