Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys! Thanks in advance for any advice given. My question is related to priming and painting new wood doors. I will be starting a job in January and want some advice. I will be painting a 3000 square foot home. I will be priming all surfaces (freshly drywalled/mudded walls and wood trim and doors). The doors will be hung by the carpenter and I'm wondering what your thoughts are on painting the doors on the hinges or taking all the doors off. I believe they are solid wood and so will be quite cumbersome to take off and paint in another space. My intention is to prime all the doors with the shellac based BIN product (I like it because it rolls on real easy and dries super flat, it's also easy to sand before top coat). Then I would like to spray the doors with a latex product. I'm considering purchasing the graco 395 for this project. Can I spray the doors vertical? Is the BIN product a good primer for this application? If spraying a primer coat do you need to backroll in order to work the paint in? I'd like to make use of the sprayer as much as possible for this job.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
There is another thread somewhere on painting doors. The best method is to take the doors off and spray them flat on a saw horse, not vertical. You can put four large screws in each door, two on top two on the bottom, that way you can rest the door on saw horses without the door touching anything, and it lets you flip them over easy so you can paint each side. Set each door on a drying rack as you paint them. The Graco you mentioned is a good choice, I have the same one and it's worked pretty good.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
There is another thread somewhere on painting doors. The best method is to take the doors off and spray them flat on a saw horse, not vertical. You can put four large screws in each door, two on top two on the bottom, that way you can rest the door on saw horses without the door touching anything, and it lets you flip them over easy so you can paint each side. Set each door on a drying rack as you paint them. The Graco you mentioned is a good choice, I have the same one and it's worked pretty good.
I just want to remind all that a talented seasoned painter (me) can spray the doors on the hinge...if the hinges are already coated.
Does it take practice? You bet.

But ya...I'll take the doors off sometimes. It depends on the job.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would prefer to paint them on the hinges. When you say "hinges already coated" do you mean the wood under the hinges? Or do you mean taping them properly before spraying. Also, I've heard that the top and bottom edges need to be sealed also or the doors will twist. If they are bare wood all around I suppose I would have to take them off to seal all sides?

·
Radical Basement Dweller
31,165 Posts
If you are new to all this and new to spraying, you'd better take the doors off and lay them flat to spray.
I haven't sprayed latex in years but spray quite a bit of shellac and lacquer. I opt for horizontal over vertical anytime I can.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
If you are new to all this and new to spraying, you'd better take the doors off and lay them flat to spray.
I haven't sprayed latex in years but spray quite a bit of shellac and lacquer. I opt for horizontal over vertical anytime I can.
+1. And if you are new to spraying, you also should practice on something less expensive than a good door. Paint your shop doors, or a pair of cheapos from HD, and do the whole deal, including whatever your flat setup is (I use Kenn's horse/screw method). I use Zinsser 1-2-3 for doors, but if the doors are stain-grade then use BIN, because even if they are sold as natural/un-stained they are most likely to have been stained by the manufacturer, and some stains will bleed through 1-2-3.

You shouldn't have to back roll a good primer.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Don't backroll the primer. You can spray 2 coats of primer if it'll make you feel better. I usually take doors off, stand vertically in a zigzag pattern, screw a 2x2 or 2x4 or what ever scrap piece(s) across top of all doors to stabilize. This allows you access to all sides. I worry about tops and bottoms on exterior doors. Leave hinges in a bucket, so they stay clean. Spraying horizontal is nice, but also time consuming and takes up a lot of space. Vertical is fine, just don't spray too heavily or else you'll be babysitting runs and sags for a couple hours after. Sand and vacuum between each coat. Good luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.