Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I'm wondering what method guys are using to get a good finish with a sprayer on a 5 panel shaker style door. I have about 30 to paint and want to get a nice finish. Here's what I'm thinking. I will use the screw and sawhorse system to lay flat. I will vacuum and then prime with BIN shellac based primer. Should I then sand the surface lightly with an orbital sander or a regular palm sander. Vacuum again and then spray each side with Benjamin Moore aura satin. I'm planning on using the Graco 395 which I will practice my method on individual doors before setting up a few at a time. I have experience with the handheld graco models but not with the 395. If you know of any videos which highlight the method to spray doors with the angles of a shaker style door that would help. Also, I'm open to suggestions about modifying my choice of primer. In my experience it goes on very easy and dries super quick as well as super flat (no texture). It also sands very easy. I'm not super familiar with the screw/sawhorse setup so any info/ videos about that would be appreciated also. Thanks!!

·
The Duke
14,746 Posts
For sanding, I use one of the red blocks at Rocker to hand sand. I think you will find any mechanical sander will sand the edges way too quick and leave you with too thin material on the edges and corners. Lightly sand....very lightly.

Then get some synthetic wool, 320 grit or whatever it is, might be 360. Lightly scuff the surface between coats.

Wipe dust off with micro fiber, then hit it with air nozzle while lightly rubbing over the surface with bare hand to get rid of the nibs.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello all. I'm wondering what method guys are using to get a good finish with a sprayer on a 5 panel shaker style door. I have about 30 to paint and want to get a nice finish. Here's what I'm thinking. I will use the screw and sawhorse system to lay flat. I will vacuum and then prime with BIN shellac based primer. Should I then sand the surface lightly with an orbital sander or a regular palm sander. Vacuum again and then spray each side with Benjamin Moore aura satin. I'm planning on using the Graco 395 which I will practice my method on individual doors before setting up a few at a time. I have experience with the handheld graco models but not with the 395. If you know of any videos which highlight the method to spray doors with the angles of a shaker style door that would help. Also, I'm open to suggestions about modifying my choice of primer. In my experience it goes on very easy and dries super quick as well as super flat (no texture). It also sands very easy. I'm not super familiar with the screw/sawhorse setup so any info/ videos about that would be appreciated also. Thanks!!
Are the bare or pre-primed? I think personally that doing that is a little overkill. If they're pre-primed what you should need to do is get a medium grit sanding sponge, one of the 3M kind or whatever. Then sand fairly good and smooth. Then dust them off real good with a dust brush. Tack the doors together in a "V" pattern, with a small gap at the top, with a small shim in between of each door.

Make sure your work area is all clean and dust free around, sweep and vacuum. Then do your spraying. If they aren't pre-primed, prime appropriately and then repeat the above steps.

The main thing is making sure everything is clean and as dust free as possible. Assuming your spray technique is right.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
I'll go with the others.If you use a mechanical sander over the sealer you will likely cut thru on some edges.Use a sanding block lightly by hand and then vacuum.I usually use a cotton cloth with a little thinner(very little) after vacuuming to wipe them down.
The 3M synthetic wool is nice but leaves particals you have to watch out for.I'm not familiar with that sprayer but make sure it can atomize the finish andf you are using and has the correct size tip for the solid content.

·
Finish Carpenter
4,999 Posts
....you can't beat this...this is what I use...
3M stickit block with PSA sandpaper. The rolls of sandpaper go a long way.

220 grit after priming with BIN and then 400 (LIGHTLY) in between coats if there is dust. I don't spray latex though, I spray acrylic lacquers. I am actually doing a bunch of 5pc shaker doors now. One set for a kitchen reface and the other for our first custom kitchen job.

http://www.amazon.com/3M-05442-Stik...UTF8&qid=1390091609&sr=8-5&keywords=3m+stikit

http://www.amazon.com/DURA-GOLD-Gri...UTF8&qid=1390091634&sr=8-4&keywords=Dura+gold

·
Particulate Filter
4,430 Posts
Personally I prefer the three tack method to the upright v method. Easier to sand and shoot. Also easier to paint the top and bottom of the door which is required for warranty by most door manufacturers.

You can set up a second set of horses to hold the doors from two pins when they are complete or drying. Use long screws for better grip. If I did not have access to a helper I would stand them up and shoot them as a v.

A lot of guys use their compressor to blow off the dust instead of vacuums. Personal preference.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.