Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dont normally post in this section but I'm doing some work on my own home and was hoping to get some advice on fillers. I have about 4000 SF of new siding I need to prep in the next few weeks. The lower 3' section is over concrete and being fastened with 1/2" head concrete screws. The upper half over stick framing have will be fastened with (2) stainless steel ring shank nails with slightly countersunk 1/4" heads.

For the larger holes on the bottom section, I'm thinking I need a bondo/spot-lite type filler so I dont run into issues a few years down the road. For the upper section that will have the smaller holes I'm thinking of a high quality exterior spackle.

Any recommendations on specific products and my plan of attack?

Pictures below show the 1/2" diameter concrete screws installed. Upper material is just temporarily fastened with finish nails for now and will be nailed off today.

·
Painting Contractor
82 Posts
If you can leave them flush or only slightly sunk no need to fill IMO. If you are back rolling or brushing that will help fill the cavity. Caulking would be a more durable product though harder to finish.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Sherwin has a lightweight int/ext spackle that's non-shrinking. You can make it flush with a putty knife and you won't even see the dimples.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts