Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best housewrap that you recommend for longevity ? I am building a custom home for my client [ a big home, 9000sf] and it will take a long time because the owners are customizing and it just takes a lot of time. Also, frequently, they travel to Europe related to their work - so when they are gone, I cant do too much of the work.

I have no problem with that though. They are easy to work with - just that they want to customize a bit. I have already gotten 2 other new home constructions based on their reference - so, I have no problem with the delay.

I have been using Tyvek for a long time and it has been pretty good. Lot of other builders use Green Guard value wrap - however, I am not happy with it. But as always, new products come out with newer and better technologies. So what do you recommend ? Snow and rain is not an issue here in Texas with virtually no snow here. However it is very dry and hot - temp in the 110-115F range with huge fluctuations with almost a 40F drop by night time.

·
I'm a Mac
5,487 Posts
GreenGuard seems to have a UV issue...it breaks down in time, I assume Tyvek/Typar does the same.

If the budget allows, just figure whatever you install is temporary and when the decisions get made, rip it off and replace with new, if you think about it, it does an important job on the house and is pretty cheap in comparison to a lot of other things you do on the house

·
Sean
5,460 Posts
All house wraps degrade in the UV light & are met to be covered ASAP. While some will give you time frames for longevity (I think the longest is 6 months) once you start getting close to that period you might as well consider redoing it.

Benjamin Obdyke, Tyvek, Typar all have great products though I am leaning more towards Benjamin Obdyke & the Hydro Gap product based on the specs (I haven't had a chance to use it yet)

The big ones to stay away from are the perforated products as they are essentially worthless

·
Registered
17,271 Posts
i have a sample of hydro gap,feels like Dow wrap,that kind of ''spongy'' feel to it

1mm spacers look like blue ice cream sprinkles

·
Registered
17,271 Posts
they are both made out of the same material,the difference is how they are manufactured

tyvek is non woven-spun bonded,green guard is cross woven

·
Giving it my best
602 Posts
I have a building wrapped in Tyvek for at least 7 years of sunshine, rain and snow and the wrap looks and performs as new (except where the raccoons have tried to scratch their way in). How you hold it on will add to its longevity - don't depend on staples. Probably ought to get some siding up but still thinking on the kind of windows I want :whistling.

Can't speak to how it will stand up to Texas sun but the southern exposure on this building looks as good as the other sides.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
All house wraps degrade in the UV light & are met to be covered ASAP. While some will give you time frames for longevity (I think the longest is 6 months) once you start getting close to that period you might as well consider redoing it.

Benjamin Obdyke, Tyvek, Typar all have great products though I am leaning more towards Benjamin Obdyke & the Hydro Gap product based on the specs (I haven't had a chance to use it yet)

The big ones to stay away from are the perforated products as they are essentially worthless
Can you list a few perforated products to avoid ? There are so many newer models with multiple specs - it's kind of difficult to compare apples to apples.

·
Sean
5,460 Posts
Can you list a few perforated products to avoid ? There are so many newer models with multiple specs - it's kind of difficult to compare apples to apples.
All of them... I can't recall the exact standard that they must meet, but there are two different tests that one can choose to meet the standard. While the Tyvek's, etc... can pass both, the perforated products fail the hydrostatic portion which is an issue if you have any trapped rain, solar driven moisture, etc... The other catch is that any moisture in the assembly that you want out has to magically find the hole to escape
Look for terms like micro perforated &/or just look at the fabric & you can pretty much see the differences. If I can find that standard & the two tests I will post them up later

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
there is a housewrap I saw recently that was developed specifically for long term exposur to sun. Tyvek and Typar both are not rated for more than 6 mos of UV rays. This stuff was rated for something like 5 years. It was manufactured by one of the big companies and had a name like tyvek extra guard or some other idiotic name. i will say that it was extra difficult to cut with a knife.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts