Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this is the best place to ask this...

I have to fasten two pieces of painted trim together whenever I install these plantation shutters for patio doors. It's a flat piece of trim about 2" wide and about 1/8" thick and 8 feet tall. It gets attached to the side panel that is a 3/4" x 5" x 8 '. Because this trim board is so thin- 1/8" thick the only way I can fasten it properly is to glue it and then face nail it by shooting pins to hold it in place while the adhesive cures. The problem is both surfaces to glue are factory painted and it's not feasible to do any sanding to expose the wood.

I need an adhesive that will

1) cure no longer than 8-12 hours (1-2 would be great)
2) Can be applied easily and quickly. The only way you make money on these jobs is to do them quickly so I can't go through a long process such as mixing two-part epoxies
3) adhesive has a good shelf life, doesn't go bad or harden up if not used routinely (I never know when I will do one like this, sometimes it's 4 a month or I might go a month in between)
4) easy to clean up, can't mar the finished painted surfaces or be difficult to clean where I would damage the paint trying to wipe it off
5) be affordable, any install materials I have to provide and margins are not huge
6) adhesive must not set instantly as I need enough time to reposition the trim as I true it up
7) Needs to never fail, ideal of course, don't want to be doing call backs a year from now

So far I've been using Loctite Go2 glue, but it has some issues, especially in its shelf life, it tends to go bad and harden in the bottle between jobs. I read somewhere this glue is nothing more than liquid silicone and you could just use a tube of silicone instead?

Thanks

I don't know much about glues

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
caulk ,try caulk . my thinking is run a few test .try tb111 ,it sticks very well when the drips dry on paint . also very good double sided tape .

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
I can’t tell which pieces you are attaching, but I’ve had success with cheap Alex caulk and a 23 gauge pin nailer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
the alex caulk really does make sense . seems a smart permanent fix . test it first to see if you like the results .

·
Premium Member
Honolulu, Hawaii
17,426 Posts
I use a combo of hot glue and construction glue, sure grab.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts