Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys recommend in terms of gloves for wet and cold weather?

I'm looking for something that takes a beating yet allows me to work with my hands...

I am in Vancouver, BC...so cold is around -5 degrees Celsius (20 degrees F).

Thanks for the tip! :thumbup:

·
Nail-Bender
4,603 Posts
I wear something like these

And then have a pair of cotton gloves on underneath. I keep dry pairs in my truck and sometimes in the heat box and switch out as needed.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I've been down south for several years now, but when I was back in New Jersey I discovered silk glove liners. Even when my gloves would get wet my hands stayed fairly warm.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I like the frosty grips too, but they aren't really waterproof. Maybe wear latex gloves underneath them if you're really getting soaked.

·
Registered
Remodel
31,069 Posts
I use multiple pairs, various brands. No matter how "waterproof" they are, they always get wet on the inside, so I keep changing them out.

·
topsail's trimcat
5,026 Posts
i do the same as davis.. i keep a small bag of gloves in the truck.. as one pair gets soaked i change em up

·
Livin the dream...
6,624 Posts
Start with latex gloves or nitrile gloves, then put just about anything over them and it'll keep you warm and dry.
+1 on the nitrile. They work great in the semi-cool weather since the conform enough to your fingers that you can actually work with them. Then in the extreme cold I use them as the base layer and put something over them, that way when you need to do something that requires more precision from your fingers you can pop off the outer glove and still have protected hands.

·
Registered
Custom cabinetry
9,178 Posts
+1 on the nitrile. They work great in the semi-cool weather since the conform enough to your fingers that you can actually work with them. Then in the extreme cold I use them as the base layer and put something over them, that way when you need to do something that requires more precision from your fingers you can pop off the outer glove and still have protected hands.
Yup, every year I try to teach the new guys that trick, most are amazed when they try it that they've never heard of it before.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Anybody use Ironclad brand cold weather gloves? I had a few pairs a couple years ago and loved them. There seems to be a lot of negative reviews on amazon now though :blink: No body carries the locally anymore to check them out in person.
http://ironclad.com/cold-climate

·
Registered
132 Posts
When I go get my gloves, I often find one of them is missing - always the "right" one. Drives me nuts. So I have plenty of "left" gloves without the match. Anybody else have this mysterious problem?
Yup, I get that all the time too. There must be a chit load of stray gloves someplace:laughing:

·
Super Moderator
10,671 Posts
When I go get my gloves, I often find one of them is missing - always the "right" one. Drives me nuts. So I have plenty of "left" gloves without the match. Anybody else have this mysterious problem?
I have always hoped of having a left handed carpenter friend. Imagine the money savings on gloves.

·
Shingler extraordinaire
Sales Estimator/ Project Manager
9,886 Posts
Yes...yes I do. Baffling to say the least.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts