Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
41 - 60 of 62 Posts
Discussion starter · #41 ·
Just got back from looking at this job.

They definitely don't want to spend the money to take up the old hardwood and do tile. I gave them the floating floor option. I think that is what they will do for the kitchen/dining area.

Only major height issue I saw is at the patio door. Not sure what I'll do there.

They also have a laundry/mudroom area that they go through from the garage to get to the kitchen/rest of the the house. They already bought tile for it. Said he got a good deal, about 50 cents/sq ft. :no: :blink: I'm guessing its pretty cheap stuff. I told them I can't do a tile job over old hardwood because of the wood movement. He said they still might want to do it anyway being that they already bought it. I suggested sheet vinyl in that room/bathroom.

They are going to talk it over and I'm going to get them a price based on what they decide.

Am I on track in saying NO to doing a tile job with 3/4 hardwood as the subfloor?

I'll attach some pics from my phone in the next post...

Discussion starter · #42 ·
Here are some pics. I appreciate all the advice you guys have given me.

Attachments

Discussion starter · #45 ·
What's wrong with the wood floor that's there now?
Probably not much.

I was discussing the option of refinishing it with Pinwheel through PM. I didn't give him the option because I wasn't sure if it was something I even wanted to take a stab at. The kitchen wouldn't be so bad but the mudroom/bathroom is all cutup and has linoleum over it currently. Didn't know how that would come up...

I wouldn't put subfloor and tile over solid wood. There's just too much movement. It's easier, and less risky to just pull the hardwood and prepare appropriately.

You might consider something like DuraCeramic from Congoleum with a grouted installation. You would need to call them and check the application.

So find a wood floor contractor and sub that out. Rip out or go over the linoleum. Simple.

I always find it amusing when people who don't live in rural America, say things like this. It's a different world in the sticks man, out here, you have to learn to be self reliant. There's not subs for everything out here. I'm the only floor finisher in a 100 mile radius. I believe spenser is pretty rural as well, since he talks so much about amish competition.

I just googled ft Wayne wood floor contractor on my phone and got 45 results.
If it's a flooring only job and you sub it out to a flooring contractor what value added service are you really providing? Why would the customer send you future referrals?

If it's a flooring only job and you sub it out to a flooring contractor what value added service are you really providing? Why would the customer send you future referrals?
It all depends. I have a customer who we did a floor job for a few years back. It required ripping out the poorly installed prefinished floors in the kitchen and laying down new strip oak to match the rest of the house followed by sand and three coats of finish.

The flooring install and sand and finish were subbed to my flooring contractor. We tore out the existing wood, removed the baseboard and moved all the appliances and furniture to prep for the job. Even if we did less than that, the value added was that the customer only had to interact with me to make sure everything was done properly.

Discussion starter · #52 ·
I just googled ft Wayne wood floor contractor on my phone and got 45 results.
I live an hour south of Ft Wayne. I don't know single person who specialized in floor refinishing.

Pinwheel is exactly right. If I even suggested using a sub on a job like this the homeowner is going to look at you and ask what they need you for. I need to either give them a different option (floating floor) or refinish it myself.

Discussion starter · #53 ·
It all depends. I have a customer who we did a floor job for a few years back. It required ripping out the poorly installed prefinished floors in the kitchen and laying down new strip oak to match the rest of the house followed by sand and three coats of finish.

The flooring install and sand and finish were subbed to my flooring contractor. We tore out the existing wood, removed the baseboard and moved all the appliances and furniture to prep for the job. Even if we did less than that, the value added was that the customer only had to interact with me to make sure everything was done properly.
That can work with some clients. But in this case I can safely say it won't. HO would say see ya later, hire the sub, and DIY the rest of the project.

This kind of job isn't ideal but I'm starting out and need the job security so I'm going to take it if I get it along with all the time/money I can for myself.

That can work with some clients. But in this case I can safely say it won't. HO would say see ya later, hire the sub, and DIY the rest of the project.

This kind of job isn't ideal but I'm starting out and need the job security so I'm going to take it if I get it along with all the time/money I can for myself.
All depends on the customer. The customer I was talking about wanted nothing to do with any of the prep work or content manipulation.

All depends on the customer. The customer I was talking about wanted nothing to do with any of the prep work or content manipulation.
We get our share of DIY clients who want to do as much as they possibly can on their own. Never hurts my feelings when they wanna do their own demo & cleanup. I'll take the gravy from the job & let them save $ on the crumbs, while I'm on my way to the next project.

Flooring is the only single trade project ll sub. Reason is, the floor guy I use isnt going to do all that other stuff the way a lot of clients want it done. I take pictures of where everything goes, box it and move it, cover the cabinets , furniture and doors to other rooms with plastic. We carefully remove the base and save for re install. We will also paint the base when we finish, the floor guy wont.

I have experience in most of the things involved in the building process, but I use subs for several trades, They are faster and it cost me less than paying myself or my guys to do something we dont do often for one thing, and I can be making money with my guys doing the things we do a lot, are efficient at, and like doing.

I think its good to try everything, and do a little of everything to get a feel for it. Hell, I have helped my subs on my projects several times when I had time and wanted to learn more about what they are doing. Ive helped do stucco, ive sanded a couple floors..... now I know I prefer to sub it out or reffer it, and stick to what I like doing or running projects :laughing:

Then you are adding a value added service!

Look everyone sells Coca-Cola, but if a client is going to pay more for it you better put it in a glass with ice.

Reactions: Jaws
41 - 60 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.