Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Livin the dream...
6,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a call from a friend last night wanting either hardwood or tile put in his kitchen. Problem is he currently has carpet with old 3/4 hardwood underneath. I told him tile was a no go unless I would pull up the old hardwood and put new osb down. Would a floating hardwood or laminate floor be a good option in this situation? The other problem is that I'm sure its not flat.

What do you guys do when you run into the old 3/4 flooring?

·
Registered
Remodel
30,215 Posts
Depending on condition, I'll refinish the existing - rust stains from nails / staples can be a problem, as can discoloration from water. Usually I'll do a quick bleach with oxalic acid, and see what it look like (if there is no finish. If there's finish I'll make a decison based on the way it looks without doing anything). Other options are shimming the floor from underneath to get it flat, then go over with floating floor, pulling the floor from above, leveling the framing, then put down whatever you need for what goes on top. I've done all of these - cutting out the floor next to a wall could require some support be put in the floor framing under the wall - you have to look under the walls parallel to the joists to see how they're supported, they may just be sitting on the boards with no joist directly under.

If you're lucky enough and he really wants a floating floor, you can use self leveling to get rid of any dips and be good to go. A little pricey, but much faster than other options.

Floor heights can be a problem, but you already know that.

·
Livin the dream...
6,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you're lucky enough and he really wants a floating floor, you can use self leveling to get rid of any dips and be good to go. A little pricey, but much faster than other options.
That is what I'm hoping. If that's the best route I'm pretty sure I can sell him on it. Waiting to see what others say....

·
Focusing on solutions.
Hardwood floors/custom cabinets
5,717 Posts
Peel that carpet & get to sanding. If you don't have a lot of floor finishing guys in your area, it's a good trade to add to your skillset.

·
Livin the dream...
6,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Peel that carpet & get to sanding. If you don't have a lot of floor finishing guys in your area, it's a good trade to add to your skillset.
I can't argue with you there. There aren't many guys in my area who do that. I can't say its anything I have ever thought of doing. I'll keep that in mind but at this point I think I would be in over my head. I'd be more comfortable using leveler and floating a floor.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
I think a flat floor is overrated and even undesirable. Do you think that guy in Bedford Falls had flat floors in that house with the faulty finial on the staircase? Hell no. It builds character in the occupants to live in a house with uneven floors and can lead to a good understanding of construction by youngsters:

Youngster: Dad, why is the floor so uneven?
Dad: Because the floor joists are saggy or they weren't crowned.
Youngster: What is a floor joist?

And so on and so forth.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I don't use OSB for anything unless I have to.
It may be acceptable, but I don't trust it, or like it.
I would try sanding, staining and finishing the hardwood and call it a character floor, or tear it out and start new.
Floating floor is not a good choice in a kitchen, in MY opinion

·
Repair & Renovation
3,257 Posts
When stapling down say a maple or oak hardwood and your adding, say a layer of 1/2" ply to beef up an old subfloor does anyone use osb instead of b/c ply ? Is it as good for holding fasteners? Sure is cheaper and flatter.. I just don't trust it..

·
Livin the dream...
6,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OSB is perfectly acceptable under hardwood. Read the installation instructions sometime.
Pin, hypothetically, your client doesn't want to refinish the old floor. What options are you going to give them? What is the most cost effective? What are you going to recommend/try to sell?

·
Focusing on solutions.
5,717 Posts
Pin, hypothetically, your client doesn't want to refinish the old floor. What options are you going to give them? What is the most cost effective? What are you going to recommend/try to sell?
I really won't have a lot of options for them, I'm a hardwood guy. I don't do any other flooring.

Even though I'm a hardwood guy, I always inform my clientel there are better choices for wet areas than hardwood. If the floors aren't able to be saved, I'd more than likely hand them off to one of my tile buddies.

·
Registered
9,045 Posts
OSB is perfectly acceptable under hardwood. Read the installation instructions sometime.
It may be acceptable to you but not on my jobs, I have seen too many loose squeaky floors over it. Swelled osb is not what I want to see after any water leak.

Around here you see osb used on cheap condos and sheds

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
This is a kitchen?

Before you even consider laying another floor on top of the old one----check the height of the dishwasher and fridge opening---

You don't want to be the guy that can't get the dishwasher back into the hole----

Also check exterior door clearance----don't make a house that can't have a rug in front of the door---

Best to remove the old hardwood---just a guess---

·
Registered
9,045 Posts
No, plywood everywhere. Just the way its done here.
Many of the condos that have do have osb have swollen floors under the fridge, under the dishwasher just inside the doors. From water, or sqeaky floors throughout if hardwood is over it. Most just have carpeting.

·
Focusing on solutions.
5,717 Posts
What I really care about, is what the flooring manufacturers recommend their flooring be laid over. 5/8" OSB is specified by the manufactures of flooring we lay. Most of the builders around here use advantech because it stands up to being rained/snowed on. I never have to sand joints or repair delamination

·
Registered
Remodel
30,215 Posts
I prefer Advantech for floors. Stronger / stiffer than plywood, water just gets the surface strands wet.

·
Livin the dream...
6,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I really won't have a lot of options for them, I'm a hardwood guy. I don't do any other flooring.

Even though I'm a hardwood guy, I always inform my clientel there are better choices for wet areas than hardwood. If the floors aren't able to be saved, I'd more than likely hand them off to one of my tile buddies.
I'm not sure how this is all going to go. They are probably under the impression that you can just cement board/tile over the old hardwood and go around the cabinets. Doubt they know what they are getting into. And I really doubt they have any clue the can of worms we'd be opening by electing to bring up the old hardwood.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts