Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this is for my own home. What is the best product out there for use on a cedar deck ? I have the aluminum spindles,and a small gazebo area. I`m in northern OH. Heres what I did about 3-4 years ago...... took every piece of the railings down, same with the gazebo, and the skirt boards. Ran everything through my thickness sander, and sanded the floor. I then applied a product called "One Time Wood", it was supposed to last 5-7 years.... didn`t last one year. I`m a cabinet maker and finish carpenter so this outside finishing stuff is not what I know a lot about . Can you recommend a product, I really dont care what it costs, as long as its going to last a few years

·
Artist and not a curator
14,854 Posts
TWP cedar tone if you want a natural look or pecan if you want a bit darker.

I use a pecan/cedartone blend for teak. Finish like directions once, then I finish sand once and put two more on... First time I did this was last October with TWP, the finish hasn't been touched by Florida sun and rain yet.

John will probably chime in as him and Al are the TWP experts. After 5 years of starting a quest for the best I had to be "satisfied" with messmers, I'm no longer just satisfied... Its like the festool of outdoor finishes except at a fantastic taste to the wallet.

So, TWP is the best hands down and that's compared to messmers, penofin, cutek, seal-it-green, Behrs, and one other famous uber expensive brand that's escaping me right now.

·
John Hyatt
3,658 Posts
Another vote for TWP 100 series.

The more color the more UV protection down to clear that has no UV at all.

You being a trim Guy think Watco Danish Oil. TWP works the same way it's a build coat finish, you never have to strip it, and unlike Watco you don't have to wait for the last coat to set up they call that Wet on Wet ( I always like saying that )

There is also a water base TWP that will ship anywhere called Storm Shield. It preforms just as well but sets up really fast.

JonMon www.deckmastersllc.com

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm a big fan of Armstrong Clark stain myself. I live 3 blocks from a Miller I can go pick up Cabot or any other big brand from, but I still find myself driving 20 miles out all the freakin' time to my nearest AC dealer cause I've had such awesome results with that stuff. Most of my experience is with their semi-transparent on cedar.

No experience with TWP personally, but from what I've heard the AC stuff is pretty much on par with it. I just have an easier time getting AC locally.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Another vote for TWP 100 series.

There is also a water base TWP that will ship anywhere called Storm Shield. It preforms just as well but sets up really fast.

JonMon www.deckmastersllc.com
John,
I've seen your pretty up on TWP, so hopefully can give me your recommendation.

So I live in the wonderful State of Massachusetts and apparently cannot get the 100 series shipped to me!
The 1500 series came up as available to MA, with its low VOC, still oil base? can do a wet on wet?
Or the Storm shield you recommended, looks like water base though? 2 coat process

Probably go with the Cedartone or maybe Rustic; its on a STK Cedar that started with Penofin, but ocean area and it just keeps blackening!

·
John Hyatt
3,658 Posts
1500 series is in production to please the Green Mafia.
Low voc means replacement oils, means longer setup time, means a sub standard product. Re coats will take a lot longer. I have never seen it hold up like the 100 series.

Storm Shield has none of these issues. If anything it outperforms the 100 series. Build coats the same way and it can be put on during cold weather. On the down side the colors are not exactly the same and it sets up real fast, I mean real real fast so be ready to deal with that as your putting it on, its easy to leave lap marks.

Penofin is such a pain. It came about from a split with SupperDeck years ago but they are basically the same. Recoats are a sticky mess the only way to do it right with that stuff is strip it off and begin again.

J.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I had an interesting experience with Penofin about 15 years ago and haven't used it since.

I built a clear heart redwood deck and stained it with Penofin. My customers called me a few days later and wanted to know if the black was part of the curing process. Obviously I hurried over to look for myself and sure enough the whole deck, anything I put the Penofin on had turned jet black. It looked like I had smeared wet concrete all over a cedar deck, black.
My supplier came out, never seen that reaction before, they called the manufacture who sent a team out, once they were convinced it was black.

TWP 100 on the other hand is great, works good on Ipe too.

·
Artist and not a curator
14,854 Posts
No need for stuff anyway. It's like total ice age.

Oxalic does it all.

J.
For the most part I agree. Oxalic though won't touch grease before staining. Just stating how things do some weird things some times. Oxalic on garapa is absolutely amazing, to show a homeowner what it does I sprayed their name on an unfinished deck and they were amazed.

·
THe IRon Piñata
171 Posts
Not 100% sure but a coat of stain is what we use in ga make sure has uv protection an is a sealant. Don't know of any brands but I'm pretty sure. We just did this arch an were worried dude wasn't gonna stain an seal it fast enough homeowner couldn't decide.

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
1500 series is in production to please the Green Mafia.
Low voc means replacement oils, means longer setup time, means a sub standard product. Re coats will take a lot longer. I have never seen it hold up like the 100 series.
Storm Shield has none of these issues. If anything it outperforms the 100 series. Build coats the same way and it can be put on during cold weather. On the down side the colors are not exactly the same and it sets up real fast, I mean real real fast so be ready to deal with that as your putting it on, its easy to leave lap marks.
Penofin is such a pain. It came about from a split with SupperDeck years ago but they are basically the same. Recoats are a sticky mess the only way to do it right with that stuff is strip it off and begin again.

J.
Thanks for the info Jon,
Ya i'm done with Penofin. Have used the Restore-a-deck cleaner a few times, unbelievable product!
I'm going to give the Storm Shield a wack then. Not a fan of these toned down oils to meet the low VOC's.
Thanks for the tip on the set up time, i'll have to bring my "A" game that day sounds like

·
Registered
Retired deck builder
6,797 Posts
The cedartone by itself is too yellowish for my taste so I blend it with rustic, 3 to 1 or 2 to 1 depending on how much darker you want it. Stained plenty of cedar decks with straight rustic too.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.