Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Wormdrive Operator
3,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Done this in the past by screwing, but had to pre-drill holes so the damn wood wouldn't split. Seeking a better way.

I could staple, but these box store "galvanized" staples might rust over time.

I could nail, but isn't pretty.

I could brad-nail, but not much holding power.

What are you guys doing?

Killer, I don't want to hear about the board ends sucking up water and rotting.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Done this in the past by screwing, but had to pre-drill holes so the damn wood wouldn't split. Seeking a better way.

I could staple, but these box store "galvanized" staples might rust over time.

I could nail, but isn't pretty.

I could brad-nail, but not much holding power.

What are you guys doing?

Killer, I don't want to hear about the board ends sucking up water and rotting.
Pickets can make pretty skirting.
The problem with splitting is due to using the economy materials. It's life.
I would shoot 1 3/4 .092 shank ring shank picket/siding nails unless it's a hi-buck deck and you are being paid very well.

Cedar will look best when installed and later on, as it won't demintially change as much as pine.

·
Wormdrive Operator
3,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dont know the diameter of nail, but 1 3/4" are my fencing nails and are ringshank. These would be what I would like to use but what will the customer think?

These are the brown PT 1x6's. The boards are very wet and take the nails nicely, but how will it look in the future?

Here is a little gate section I did today with those nails.

Attachments

·
Talking Head
5,388 Posts
Use a stainless siding nail. As long as you keep the rows neat, it will look good. I just put up a bunch of cedar board and batten and we could drive the 5d within a half inch of the end and not a single split.

·
Wormdrive Operator
3,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We use stainless crown staples. for 5 years, have seen no bleeding. Except for bleeding hearts on the love thread.
18g? I would prefer to use staples because I already have the gun. My old bostitch coil gun I use for fences blank fires every third or fourth round which gets old fast.. can't be punching random holes in the skirting boards.

However, I like new tools. I will look around and see which I can get easier, SS staples or nails.

·
Registered
753 Posts
You don't want to use wet pickets unless you are going to add battens and trim it out.
The pickets will shrink and gap.

The thin 5/8 economy pickets will often split later, after being mounted. But that's life...

·
Registered
753 Posts
Economy fence pickets are such that you never want to break the straps on a bundle until you are ready to use them.
In one days time they will move/change if left free.

Best scenario is to take pickets directly from dry conditions to the job, avoiding them taking on moisture.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts