Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love the dewalt 272 but i find you sometimes get play in the nosecone...tends to get wobbly and screws sometimes fall off.... Is there any way to tighten them or do you have to have a service tech. Replace it? Thank you for your time.
Blaise

·
Banned
215 Posts
I have an old porter cable drill and router set I use, can't get the drill anymore I've rebuilt the darn thing about 5 times now ... my back up is a Dewalt model.

I love my Porter cable set up, I have them on a one foot pigtail (with twist-lock ends) for quick change between screwing & routing out boxes...

the only drawback is the cone depth has to be changed whenever you remove it. (the old screw off kind) but I rarely touch the cone setting.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I love the dewalt 272 but i find you sometimes get play in the nosecone...tends to get wobbly and screws sometimes fall off.... Is there any way to tighten them or do you have to have a service tech. Replace it? Thank you for your time.
Blaise
I know a million folks will chime in and tell me how wrong I am,, but you need a new shaft,,, just a few bucks at the big ole box store,,, you will think you have a new gun,,,, just go for it man

·
Registered
2 Posts
I know a million folks will chime in and tell me how wrong I am,, but you need a new shaft,,, just a few bucks at the big ole box store,,, you will think you have a new gun,,,, just go for it man
A new shaft always helps. Also take off the nose cone. you'll see a brass bushing (guide for the shaft) make sure its pushed in all the way and the inner hole of the guide isnt too worn or oblong. Which is caused by using the gun to pull out misses. When you push the gun to the side to help the screw grab some of the board to get it out. Also if you have the all plastic nose cone's on the 272's their crap. Get the cone's that have the all metal top. Much better, easier, and more comfortable to get screws on.

·
Registered
89 Posts
dewalt 4000 rpm or the old hilti 4000 ,that thy dont make no more . just bought two hilti 18 volt 4200 rpm cordless screw guns works really good, but a little bulky. but are made to turn on and let run thay have cooling fans built in side of them. grate guns its about time

·
Registered
223 Posts
dewalt 4000 rpm or the old hilti 4000 ,that thy dont make no more . just bought two hilti 18 volt 4200 rpm cordless screw guns works really good, but a little bulky. but are made to turn on and let run thay have cooling fans built in side of them. grate guns its about time
Why didn't you buy the new 21.6v lithium SF5000A? They are lighter and more compact than the 18v and spin at 5000 rpm.

·
Registered
377 Posts
i use any gun that's available. Certainly some are better than others. Usually the Dewalt , i find, is the most durable. I literally throw them off ladders and across rooms. Thats how i treat most of my tools, except certain key pieces. I view the screw guns as disposable and only purchase reconditioned ones. I know the guys on the crew will treat them like crap as well, so why bother with the best stuff. The Dewalts always keep working. I have a beautiful HILTI which is great. I never use it.:whistling

·
Registered
5 Posts
Anything 4000 rpm or better is good. I work with metal studs and much like a guitar, a screwgun is only as good as the operator. Personally for side work I use a Hilti SD 4500 but at work the use dewalt 272's. Like was said earlier its soooo important to have a good shaft and a good tip.

·
Pro
682 Posts
I used to have a couple of Milwaulkee's and when they died I got a Porter Cable. I do not hang as much rock as I used to but it has performed well.

Bill

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hilti... Hilti all the way. And just in case the Hilti breaks down, I have another one still in the box, brand new, for back up. It's sat there for three years now, undisturbed. Unlike my Dewallet that I had before where I needed a back up for my back up because it seemed like something was always going wrong. Never had a problem with the Hilti though.

·
Superintendent
79 Posts
Hilti I have an older one with the ergonomic grip with a hook
that sure is handy to hang on a lift or scaffold. I mainly frame
metal studs but have used it for hanging board and it works great.
One thing I can never understand about the east coast is why
on earth don't y'all get the 50' whips(cords) for your guns? The
10' cords require another extension cord and the plug gets
hung up on scaffolds, lifts etc.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Hilti I have an older one with the ergonomic grip with a hook
that sure is handy to hang on a lift or scaffold. I mainly frame
metal studs but have used it for hanging board and it works great.
One thing I can never understand about the east coast is why
on earth don't y'all get the 50' whips(cords) for your guns? The
10' cords require another extension cord and the plug gets
hung up on scaffolds, lifts etc.
cuz we're not as cool as u west coast guys:jester:

·
The Brains
210 Posts
IM THE ONLY man on the crew with somthing longer then a 10' got a 25' and its great. One of the many bennifits to getting the exact tool u need off the internet rather then settling for somthing the depots got. speaking of guns any of u guys see the new makita line? they look sick might have to look into one. whithout a new thread my gun now spins at 3500. next gun might be 4000. iv seen a 6000rpm gun is that to much or is the more rpm's the merrier.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts