Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, Currently we have a Southwest credit card for airline miles, but we are looking to add another credit card to the business. We spend around $50-70k per month on materials, and we are getting to the point we don't need any more miles.
Does anyone have a card that they really like for rewards or for cash back? I searched and did not find anything that recent.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
I have a cash back card but I'm guessing you are in the US and my recommendation wouldn't help much.

·
Registered
819 Posts
i have the Chase Ink card

my suppliers wont give me the 1-2% back from paying on time if i use a CC, so i only use mine for tools/gas/repairs...i get $700-$1,000 in rewards back a year....

at one time i had a personal CC that got me 7% back on gas/groceries....i was getting $100+ a month back

·
Registered
7,181 Posts
I have a us bank rewards card. 3% on gas and phone, 1% everything else. Usually get somewhere in the $400-600 range a month comes back to me.

·
Registered
51 Posts
That what we use
What is it that attracted you (and others that use it) to this card? Our business uses Chase ink and we're pretty happy with the cash back (the only perk we're interested in. No use for sky miles and such the like.)

But if there is a better card out there I'd like to look into it!

Thanks for the info.

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts
Steve'sSon said:
What is it that attracted you (and others that use it) to this card? Our business uses Chase ink and we're pretty happy with the cash back (the only perk we're interested in. No use for sky miles and such the like.) But if there is a better card out there I'd like to look into it! Thanks for the info.

It was what would give me the most cash back out of everything I looked at.

·
Super Moderator
10,604 Posts
Chase Ink as well. I have a Chase Freedom personal card that also gives cash back. It has a rotating rewards that varies by the quarter. Gas, groceries, home improvement, Kohls, etc. They send out a text letting me know ahead of time.

·
Always Learning
8,653 Posts
Chase Ink here too. We cash out at the end of each year. Its a nice little bonus.

·
Livin the dream...
6,624 Posts
Am I missing something on the chase ink. The cash back doesn't look like anything special? Maybe it has changed?

That Amex Plum card has screwy rules as to when you have to pay your bill in order to receive your rewards. I hate that.

I didn't see anything on either of those two cards that made them look any better than the 2% back on the visa spark, but again, I'm probably missing something...

·
Registered
51 Posts
I don't know what the cash back rate is on ink, its just what we carry and my dad said they get a decent check every year from the cash back that he is happy with.

·
Focusing on solutions.
Hardwood floors/custom cabinets
5,689 Posts
I have a us bank rewards card. 3% on gas and phone, 1% everything else. Usually get somewhere in the $400-600 range a month comes back to me.
We just opened a business account with US Bank & got their CC. We have a 600-800/month gas bill.Needless to say, all our gas will now go on this card.

·
Livin the dream...
6,624 Posts
Went to pay my tab at my lumber yard yesterday. Not a very big one. Got the owner instead of an employee. Said no more CC in the future please. Cuts into his bottom line another 2%.

I'm torn. They give me their best discount but the local Lowes still beats them on most things and I get 5% off using my lowes CC. Markup is low enough on lumber that i don't even get a discount o it. I hate not giving them more business but at this stage the lumber yard isn't advantageous unless I'm getting into "building".

1 - 20 of 28 Posts