Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Best composite decking

Here is my list of composite decking manufacturers in order, from best to worse, based on what I read on the internet. I draw the line over Geo Deck and Trex Escape, those two are a definite no due to all the complaints and lawsuits, agree? disagree?

Azek

Correct Deck CX

Lifetime Lumber

TimberTech XLM Plank

CrossTimbers

Veranda

Trex Escape

GeoDeck

·
Registered
249 Posts
I don't use a lot of composite decking but I agree with your top choice. Azek does make a nice deck. I believe what Azek sells for decking used to be Procell before Azek bought them out.

Dave

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
I have used the Azek porch, but never the decking. Does the decking have a "rougher" surface? The Azek went down nice and looked good, but very slippery when wet, as the edge of the porch sometimes is.

·
Registered
Custom cabinetry
9,178 Posts
Here is my list.

Correct Deck CX

Some think its too short but I like it.

I am looking at some aluminum decking for a certain project where the HO wants FIREPROOF decking. He is not interested in a class A fire rated decking. So we will see how that goes.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
^^ Might want to tell him metal is fire spread proof, but not fire proof. Metal will go down quick in a fire, faster than wood.

I found a few people who swear by Correct Deck CX, claiming that's all they use. But I found a few complaints on how the customer service of Correct Deck CX is really bad. And as far as aesthetics, I just thought Azek looked better, but that's my personal opinion. I only found good things about Azek though.

·
Premium Member
Retired deck builder
6,391 Posts
That's why they're at the bottom.
The bottom? Should not have been on any list of good composites. T-rex & Geo-junk have put out tons of bad product & laughed all the way to bank while they told the consumer, sorry.

I've never heard of Lifetime Timber either. Have you used it? Used any of those on your list or that list coming from your internet research?

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The bottom? Should not have been on any list of good composites. T-rex & Geo-junk have put out tons of bad product & laughed all the way to bank while they told the consumer, sorry.

I've never heard of Lifetime Timber either. Have you used it? Used any of those on your list or that list coming from your internet research?
I gave a bid for a gal who wanted a Trex Deck a little while a ago, she already had a few pieces of it, so she wanted more of it to match. She decided against the deck later, it was too much money. I haven't installed a composite yet, only put on cedar. But people are always asking me about it is why I'm putting some research into it. Actually I take that back, I did install a vinyl deck a long time ago when the stuff first came out. But it was only a model for a homeshow, I don't remember who the manufacturer was, probably doesn't exist anymore. It was the ugliest deck I ever saw.

·
Fine Deckbuilder
402 Posts
First that has to be done is to throw out that Geo stuff. They do claim their product is great now but I have read numerous clients that are stuck with this product and can't use the deck because of the "batch" they bought at that time. I send a few months back pictures of a geo deck and had to walk on the joist to prevent me from falling through the deck. I'm doing this deck in January and the homeowners is spending over $ 20,000 to get all the railing and decking replaced ( 860 sq. foot). After spending $ 34,000.00 five years ago on a deck they thought was low maintenance and years of enjoyment with a good resale value, they could only use the deck in the first two years. (they haven't spend any time on the deck in the last three years because it was to dangerous) Sorry it is getting a little long here but I'm pretty upset when I hear the word Geo and a few other ones like EON with that Crayons crap LOL

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I got some prices to compare, all 20' lengths:

Azek $68.85
TimberTech XLM Plank $88.20
Trex Escape $80.64
Monarch $55.90

Monarch is the cheap crappy kind that does nothing but collect mold. It seems Azek is the most sensible choice, the price isn't bad and I've heard nothing but good stuff about it.

I am wondering if the Trex Escape solves all the previous issues that Trex has been having. It seems the ones that were having issues were made with a wood and plastic mix, the ones that are supposedly good are made with PVC such as Azek. The Trex Escape is made with PVC, I don't think it has any wood in it, I am not sure though. But I am curious if all the complaints on Trex have been with their other lines of decking, such as Trex Transcend, Brasilia, Contours, and Accents. Has anyone had experience with Trex Escape?

·
Premium Member
Retired deck builder
6,391 Posts
My take on the new trex stuff is that their new board is too new to tell if it will last & without the problems they have had in the past.

Seems the latest thing with the composite companies is encapsuled boards like Timbertech's XLM, Lattitudes capricorn line & I'm guessing the new version of T-rex stuff. Probably a few others coming out like it from some of the other companies. These new boards look nice & all, but how do you know whether it will last or not? Most are pretty pricey too, more than ipe around here.

Another thing about composite companies, look at how many have gone under after making lots of trash. Sneaky bastages too, my supplier took delivery of 5 trucks of Eon, the next day they annouce bankruptcy. Lots of bundles of eon still there, must not be selling too good, ha.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts