Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the most durable product for coating a hardwood floor. The family I'm doing this for has ten kids and dogs, and they're a few miles from the beach (sand). Thanks for the advice!

David

·
Registered
159 Posts
Sounds like the perfect storm....kids,dogs sand...lol..The 2 stage Bacca/Glitza will hold up better than poly,but is very hard to apply,so you need to find someone who has lots of experience with it...Good luck..

·
Registered
43 Posts
Oil-based poly is more durable, however water-based poly is more flexible. In my experience water-based poly is the best choice because it wears evenly. Oil-based poly tends to fail in sections, it wears from the perimeter of the plank in and at an uneven rate.

This is one instance where less is more.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Basic coatings make a really good finish. look into that. and tell them to stay off off off off off off off off of them for a week. cure time is the biggest factor in my opinion

10 kids and dogs wow, are they getting ready for a tv show.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I recently used Pallmann Magic Oil 2K, which is about 93% oil, 7% wax. It absorbs deep into the wood (if sanded properly) and scratches do not show up as white lines. It can be 'revived' by adding more oil to the wear areas and doesnt show lap marks. I have only used it the one time, but I think it is awesome.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I always go back to Bona for poly clear coats. It seems to hold up well. Its avail in a water and a 2 part. I would use the two part.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts