Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Nail Driving Fool
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well we seem to be on a roll of "best" threads. :whistling

I know the wormdrive is king on this site but lets talk about sidewinders for a change. I'm a sidewinder fan. I've used Makita, DeWalt, Bosch, Porter Cable, and the old B&D SawCats. Not all of these were my personal saws but I've used everything listed enough to form an opinion about them.

The last saw I bought was a Bosch CS10 - its got a lot of power and I like the rafter hook feature but all in all I'm not crazy about the saw. It has a tendency to bind and try to kick back while making long rips. And it was cutting about 3* out of square straight out of the box. I fixed that issue but it should have never happened. I'm a Bosch fan but I wouldn't buy another or recommend this saw.

I've used several Makita 5007s. And still have an old one in my shop that I use to break down sheet goods with. These seem to be the industry standard of sidewinders. They do the job and I've never had an issue with them other than the fact that under heavy use they seem to die in about 2 years. Despite owning several Makita tools I'm really not a Makita fan. That being said they are a good saw and I'm sure I will own more 5007s in the future.

Can't remember the model number and I'm too lazy to look it up but the DeWalt I used was one of the lightweight models without the electric brake. It belonged to a buddy of mine and we used it over the course of a 3 day weekend building his deck. It was a nice saw and cut true. It was VERY light and I've always kept this in the back of my mind because I think it would be great on a roof and for cutting rafter tails.

Porter Cable Mag 324 of all the saws I've owned and used this was my favorite. It was the first circular saw I bought when I started working for myself. It lasted 4 years before I dropped it off a roof and destroyed the base. The second one I bought went 3 years before someone stole it off my tailgate while I was inside taking a measurement. :eek: I can't believe PC quit making this saw. I've considered buying them used off ebay but holy crap they go for more than they cost new. I must not be the only person that liked them.

Had a B&D SawCat that was given to me by a client. It had seen a hard life, was covered in concrete dust and had a turbo rim diamond blade installed when I got it. I used it as a demo saw for several years before I gave it to another client that was trying to build some flowerbeds with an electric chainsaw. I kind of wish I had kept it. It had a ton of power and refused to die. But the client was/is a good one, I was over there the other day and he said he still uses it. I'm sure I would have managed to kill the saw by now, so I guess I prolonged it's life. :laughing:

The PC 324 was and still is my favorite I think it was the best sidewinder ever made.

Sorry about the long winded post. :whistling

·
Resident Pain
2,424 Posts
Well we seem to be on a roll of "best" threads. :whistling

I know the wormdrive is king on this site but lets talk about sidewinders for a change. I'm a sidewinder fan. I've used Makita, DeWalt, Bosch, Porter Cable, and the old B&D SawCats. Not all of these were my personal saws but I've used everything listed enough to form an opinion about them.

The last saw I bought was a Bosch CS10 - its got a lot of power and I like the rafter hook feature but all in all I'm not crazy about the saw. It has a tendency to bind and try to kick back while making long rips. And it was cutting about 3* out of square straight out of the box. I fixed that issue but it should have never happened. I'm a Bosch fan but I wouldn't buy another or recommend this saw.

I've used several Makita 5007s. And still have an old one in my shop that I use to break down sheet goods with. These seem to be the industry standard of sidewinders. They do the job and I've never had an issue with them other than the fact that under heavy use they seem to die in about 2 years. Despite owning several Makita tools I'm really not a Makita fan. That being said they are a good saw and I'm sure I will own more 5007s in the future.

Can't remember the model number and I'm too lazy to look it up but the DeWalt I used was one of the lightweight models without the electric brake. It belonged to a buddy of mine and we used it over the course of a 3 day weekend building his deck. It was a nice saw and cut true. It was VERY light and I've always kept this in the back of my mind because I think it would be great on a roof and for cutting rafter tails.

Porter Cable Mag 324 of all the saws I've owned and used this was my favorite. It was the first circular saw I bought when I started working for myself. It lasted 4 years before I dropped it off a roof and destroyed the base. The second one I bought went 3 years before someone stole it off my tailgate while I was inside taking a measurement. :eek: I can't believe PC quit making this saw. I've considered buying them used off ebay but holy crap they go for more than they cost new. I must not be the only person that liked them.

Had a B&D SawCat that was given to me by a client. It had seen a hard life, was covered in concrete dust and had a turbo rim diamond blade installed when I got it. I used it as a demo saw for several years before I gave it to another client that was trying to build some flowerbeds with an electric chainsaw. I kind of wish I had kept it. It had a ton of power and refused to die. But the client was/is a good one, I was over there the other day and he said he still uses it. I'm sure I would have managed to kill the saw by now, so I guess I prolonged it's life. :laughing:

The PC 324 was and still is my favorite I think it was the best sidewinder ever made.

Sorry about the long winded post. :whistling
The mag Pc was a great sidewinder but if I had to choose I think I'd go with Makita mag. Everything about the saw is smooth. Don't get me wrong there are a few things about the saw the drive me crazy. For instance using a sticker on the front of the deck for small rips. Then there is the degree markings with positive stops. That drove me a little crazy at first but now it is second nature. Other than those 2 things the positives outway the negatives.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

·
Nail Driving Fool
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh I have no problem with worm drives. They are just not popular here and I guess I became a sidewinder fan by default. Actually I can't think of a single place within 50 miles of me that keeps a worm drive in stock.

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
Oh I have no problem with worm drives. They are just not popular here and I guess I became a sidewinder fan by default. Actually I can't think of a single place within 50 miles of me that keeps a worm drive in stock.
they have this new thing called online purchasing... :laughing: :laughing:

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
First saw I ever had was the Black & Decker sawcat. It was stolen out of my boss's tool trailer and he asked me what kind of saw I wanted, I said a Milwaukee, so that was my second one. I liked it, ran smooth..just liked the way it felt. It had the knob in front that you loosened to slide the base up and down.

Now I have the Bosch that was mentioned, I liked it at first but it has gotten sloppy and doesn't cut real square anymore.. I actually use my cordless more!

·
Love me some Concrete
1,834 Posts
I was working with a framing with a guy that used a sidewinder exclusively, so me being the guy that I am, I went right out after the job and bought myself one. I had always used a circular saw or cordless before this.

I bought the Dewalt and fvcking hate it!!! Binds like a bassturd ;) on a long cut, then wants to jump and bite you. It's kind of heavy, at 6'8" and 320lbs, you would think I could one hand it, nope...heavy as hell. I bought the Dewalt 20v cordless (and also use my 18v) and haven't looked back. On Big stuff, I'll just use the old circular saw or a chain saw before the mammoth sidewinder. Heck, it looks perfect still except for the warped blade from over heating it because it cuts like chit.:censored:

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
Many of you guys complain about binding and kickback, but do you realize that many circular saws are designed with a blade washer that allows the saw blade to slip under hard binding situations?
You aren't supposed to crank down on the blade bolt like an angry gorilla who just dropped his banana down the storm drain. On my Bosch and Skil worm drive it says to hand tighten and an additional 1/8 turn with wrench, it's designed as a slip-clutch of sorts, and when tightened properly, along with using common sense and a sharp blade, it works as designed.
just sayin'

·
Super Moderator
10,623 Posts
Been using the Milwaukee tilt locks for many years. The tilt is a joke, but we just leave it set and never move it. Plenty of power, comfortable design and It is absolutely the best saw for starting a steep angle cut one handed. Somehow they engineered a guard that doesn't catch as you go through the cut.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Used Milwaukee for years. It took a beating and is still in the shop. (used it yesterday acutally)
Picked up a lightweight DeWalt and thought it was the best ever, for about 15 years.
Then I found a used Makita 5007 at a garage sale for $10.00. It cuts so much better than the other two.
I have no idea what the best one is, but right now the Makita is the best I've used.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I just got the new dewalt DWE575 and so far it is hands down the crew favourite. We have had makita 5007 i think the old classic makita and one of the fancy makitas. Everyone loves the lightness but mostly the guard, it is so smooth and you almost never have to touch the guard.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I have a milwaukee sidewinder, the tilt lok kind. Though its pretty much been replaced by an SHD77, I really like it. By far the best sidewinder I've ever used. The blade guard is super smooth, the handle to pull it back for pocket cuts etc is well designed to hold back. The rear handle can be adjusted to be behind the saw... Kinda like a wormdrive.

Only problem is that big handle to pull the blade guard back snapped off when I stepped on a strip of plywood that was on top of the saw. Needed a replacement guard... $30!

·
Registered
77 Posts
My favourite for durability is the the makita 5007.
But favourite for everything else is the hitachi c7st. It just wants to cut straight.
I can't stand milwaukee tilt lock. Worst. Saw. Ever.
There are dewalts that are OK but I find with dewalts that I eat saw dust the whole time using that saw.
With the makita and hitachi the dust goes away. The decks are nicest to use.
The Bosch cs10? Is a not bad saw, but the deck measurements are not great to use.
The hitachi is like 80-90$ and that may shy some people away that think it's cheap, but it's a pretty solid saw and if you're scared it's going to break buy two.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
jdorpaudi said:
My favourite for durability is the the makita 5007. But favourite for everything else is the hitachi c7st. It just wants to cut straight. I can't stand milwaukee tilt lock. Worst. Saw. Ever. There are dewalts that are OK but I find with dewalts that I eat saw dust the whole time using that saw. With the makita and hitachi the dust goes away. The decks are nicest to use. The Bosch cs10? Is a not bad saw, but the deck measurements are not great to use. The hitachi is like 80-90$ and that may shy some people away that think it's cheap, but it's a pretty solid saw and if you're scared it's going to break buy two.
Just got a Milwaukee tilt lock new for $99. Is thst a good price? Lumber yard clearance

1 - 20 of 28 Posts