Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My client wants the cedar shingle look without the maintenance. We are in New England and currently have 2 feet of snow. They want the wood grain and the color tone changes it has and they DON'T want vinyl I have looked at several options.. CertainTeed has a product called perfection shingles.. but the cedar stain on that is costing me $975 a square (10x10) UNINSTALLED. Also it does not seem like the Weatherboard line will be around for long.. at least not in CertainTeed.. so then there is Hardie... they also have a similar product .. it looks much more "manufactured".. is there a good combination that you have used.
Does anyone have a suggestion on products that would fit the bill? At the current price point they could do the house in stone!.. and real cedar but the maintenance will be an issue..
When I travel to Tahoe or Vail .. all I see is cedar.. is there a better sealer they use or is it a manufactured product?

Does ANYONE have a suggestion on what I could use to get the look?

The home is loosely based on this plan.. and this is the look they want..
http://www.architecturaldesigns.com/featured-house-plan-15623GE.asp

Thanks in advance..

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts
I got this letter last week from my supplier.

To our valued customers,

CertainTeed's parent corporation, Saint-Gobain, recently announced an agreement to sell it's Weatherboard finer cement siding division to Plycem USA. We hope that this change will not cause any inconvenience to your business.

Then it goes on saying they will still have hardi board.

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
jlsconstruction said:
I got this letter last week from my supplier. To our valued customers, CertainTeed's parent corporation, Saint-Gobain, recently announced an agreement to sell it's Weatherboard finer cement siding division to Plycem USA. We hope that this change will not cause any inconvenience to your business. Then it goes on saying they will still have hardi board.
That's good its still gonna be available.

·
Registered
Butcher of wood and metal
7,007 Posts
From what I have seen I don't think to much of the FC shingles ,seems like they are always having to mess with little pieces to try and nail on. Couple of guys I do work for are using the LP Smartside shingles the look a little better, more real look I think.

·
Registered
12,856 Posts
I wouldn't use Weatherboards on a dog house these days. Too many problems in the past.

Hey Tom, what is the cost of those shingles compared to cedar? I'm wanting to build a dog house and they look like a cool product to try on it.

·
Box Builder
6,320 Posts
I don't know how you could do any better than real cedar shingles over a ran screen. Spray a clear sealer on every few years and be done with it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts