Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
I used Purdy brushes for years until SW bought them and then they turned to crap. I now use Wooster and a brush called FTP. I prefer a stiffer 2-1/2" brush for trim. As far as rollers go I assume you're laying them off either way I prefer a short nap lint free roller.

I don't know if they reformulated ProClassic but that crap wasn't sticking over itself. It also has a tendency to run in crevices such as a casing door jamb reveal. It's one reason I got away from them plus the fact they kept changing their paints, raising their prices and the employees are idiots.

·
Registered
10,297 Posts
It seems Pro Classic has a mind of its own and what works fine one time does not work at all the next. I switched over to BM Advance for my built ins and have had great results. I think SW recommends a Chinex brush and a microfiber roller.

·
Registered
13,823 Posts
If they have loose bristles than their not quality brushes. And I pay more than that for just one brush.
It was was about 1/2 a dozen loose bristles across the 3 brushes.

One of those situations where I needed some brushes, these are what they had, I was pleasantly surprised how well the paint flowed off of them.

I had some of those more expensive brushes, someone decided to "borrow" them. If you saw the condition they were in at the end of the day, you wouldn't have wanted them back either.

Tom

·
Accidental Painter
2,292 Posts
My dealer gave me a picasso. 2 1/2 angled oval bristles. Wasn't too impressed with it. It seems like it would be fine for detail/high end work, but for production you just cant beat a wooster.

Rollers: 1/2" nap pro dooz super fab (wooster)

I go with purdy on the 6" & 4" rollers though.

·
Registered
Remodel
32,241 Posts
My dealer gave me a picasso. 2 1/2 angled oval bristles. Wasn't too impressed with it. It seems like it would be fine for detail/high end work, but for production you just cant beat a wooster.
I think there is a lot of room for brush preference. I'll change brushes and technique depending on the paint I'm using. I think a lot of it is what you've brushed in the past. There's a guy my age that is a pro painter and always uses Sherwin Williams paints. Give him a different paint, and he'll still use his go to Purdy that he always uses. Me, as soon as I see it's too stiff or not stiff enough, or doesn't release the paint the way I want, I'll switch brushes to one I think will work better. If I'm still not happy, I switch again. If I run out of brushes, I'll switch paints - somebody may be really good and really happy with that paint, but it isn't me.

·
Stelzer Painting Inc.
Licensed General Contractor, Painting Contractor, Christmas Light Installer
198 Posts
Wooster Alpha, my new go-to brush.

Wooster Alpha is my new fav. I used Purdys for 25 years, read great things from fellow painters who swear by Woosters. The Alpha has sanded tips, so you can lay it on very smooth. Of course, you'll never go wrong with a Corona either.

·
Home Repairs
291 Posts
I have a couple ArrowWorthy Rembrandt's for when I need a stiffer bristle for heavy/thick paints, and a assortment of Purdy and Woosters for regular use. I prefer my Woosters over the Purdy's. The newer Purdy's seem like wet noodles after the brush loads up. Brushes are like golf clubs......everyone has a different touch & feel.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts