Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just looking for opinions of what people feel is the best brand of shingle out there today. I have always been a certainteed guy but I know gaf is getting better.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
318 Posts
Just looking for opinions of what people feel is the best brand of shingle out there today. I have always been a certainteed guy but I know gaf is getting better.
For me the list is

1 Owen Durations
2 Tampko
3 Certanteed
4 Biltmore
5 casltebrook
6 Gaf
7 IKO

Ive used them all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
318 Posts
Let me revise
1 Durations





2 Tampko


3 Certanteed
4 Biltmore
5 castlebrook
6 gaf




7 IKO


Notice the spacing. Duration are in a league of there own. This of course is middleweight class. The heavy weights are a different story
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
368 Posts
Let me revise
1 Durations





2 Tampko


3 Certanteed
4 Biltmore
5 castlebrook
6 gaf




7 IKO


Notice the spacing. Duration are in a league of there own. This of course is middleweight class. The heavy weights are a different story
Interesting since 4 and 7 are the same product..

Best is subjective, what works in one area may not hold up in others.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,181 Posts
stombaugh85 said:
For me the list is 1 Owen Durations 2 Tampko 3 Certanteed 4 Biltmore 5 casltebrook 6 Gaf 7 IKO Ive used them all.
That's a scary list. I don't even consider biltmore, castlebrook or IKO to be shingles.

However my list would go

Certainteed landmarks
Owens corning Durations
Malarkey Highlander
Tamko Heritage

The ct landmarks are in a class of their own and I am not going to install any thing other than Certainteed shingles this year.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
318 Posts
Interesting since 4 and 7 are the same product..

Best is subjective, what works in one area may not hold up in others.
Yes it is
Biltmore is made by CRC, which is owned by Iko ......correct.


but it doesn't say IKO on the package therefor the cambridge IKO is 7th
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,127 Posts
1. Owens Corning Duration or Designer series (but thats more of a color preference... not that there is anything wrong with their performance but they arent worth the price of class 4's
1. Certainteed (also a fav)

2. tamko - otherwise known as tampko on this thread.
3.
4.
5.
6.
7. gaf

and im not going to put them on my list because I havent actually laid a roof with Pabco shingles since they re surfaced... but they really came back with a different shingle. More Granules, thicker, better backing and some pretty cool designs. They seem to lay flatter quicker and withstand damage a little better. They are still cheaper than the rest and Im hoping I can come back and say better as soon as I put one on..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,181 Posts
madrina said:
1. Owens Corning Duration or Designer series (but thats more of a color preference... not that there is anything wrong with their performance but they arent worth the price of class 4's 1. Certainteed (also a fav) 2. tamko - otherwise known as tampko on this thread. 3. 4. 5. 6. 7. gaf and im not going to put them on my list because I havent actually laid a roof with Pabco shingles since they re surfaced... but they really came back with a different shingle. More Granules, thicker, better backing and some pretty cool designs. They seem to lay flatter quicker and withstand damage a little better. They are still cheaper than the rest and Im hoping I can come back and say better as soon as I put one on..
I pay the same for duration designer as I do durations as I do landmarks.

What is the difference for you?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,127 Posts
Durations were around 85 and if I remember correctly the designer colors were 106... and class 4 were 104 ill check my file, this was a few years ago.

Wait .. are we allowed to discuss mat prices? If not sorry in advance ill pm next time
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
175 Posts
1. Malarkey Legacy ... In my opinion its the best shingle on the maket, by far. Its a class 4 shingle thats very pliable and durable with a wide nailing flange. I've laid all the major brands and theres nothing that compares with the Legacys. Cons...high cost & not the greatest color selections...their grey tones are especially hideous.

2. Certainteed Landmark


3. Tie...GAF, OCs, ,Tamko, Malarkey Highlanders.....All ok shingles, but nothing outstanding here


Last place IKO .... Maybe they've improved, but they use to be full of metal fillings that ended up in your finger tips and poor or missing sealant.

Pabcos... Storm chasers favorites...need I say more
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,376 Posts
I think all shingles have their problems. You are right by asking what is best today. The problem I see right now is Owens Corning was best (around here) 20 years ago. Today those 30 year shingles are missing all of their grit. People have roofs that are white fiberglass mats.
I think your question is great, but really hard to predict.
On a side note, I looked at a roof for a customer. Just to double check everything before he went south for the winter. The roof was 8 years old, GAF, 30 year shingles. I found huge sections where the sealant had failed and the shingles had blown up. He contacted the company and they told him their shingles have a 30 year shingle warranty and a 5 year sealant warranty. Something to keep in mind. I know other companies have similar warranties.
Also this information came from the homeowner. I did not hear it personally. I do however know of 2 other roofs in the area with the same problem. In one case GAF gave the homeowner new shingles and $12,000 to replace them. I can't verify the money, but I know the shingles are sitting there.
I personally use OC and Certainteed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,127 Posts
I think those fiberglass mat roofs were probably not warrantied shingles to begin with.. and it sounds like you should hit that neighborhood up.. you might have some wind claims.

You also have to consider the ventilation system as well. If that's whacked then a 30 year shingle won't last half that. Incorrect ventilation will also cause granule loss... but what your describing sounds like 2nds.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
402 Posts
1. Owens Corning (hands down best for flexibility in cold and sealing down in cold) they lay flat in 20 degree weather with sun.
2. GAF

That's it......we won't use CT anymore since they screwed OUR customers on class action.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,181 Posts
RandyB1986 said:
1. Owens Corning (hands down best for flexibility in cold and sealing down in cold) they lay flat in 20 degree weather with sun. 2. GAF That's it......we won't use CT anymore since they screwed OUR customers on class action.
How did CT treat your customers any differently than they treated mine?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
402 Posts
How did CT treat your customers any differently than they treated mine?
I don't know that they did or didn't treat your customers differently, but I do know they screwed mine. CT should be ashamed selling a product that fails in 3 years...then settling in class action and paying $72 a square material and labor. Screw me once shame on you, screw me twice, shame on me. They will never get a chance again.

OC stands behind the product they sell. If it fails 3 years in they pay to replace.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,181 Posts
RandyB1986 said:
I don't know that they did or didn't treat your customers differently, but I do know they screwed mine. CT should be ashamed selling a product that fails in 3 years...then settling in class action and paying $72 a square material and labor. Screw me once shame on you, screw me twice, shame on me. They will never get a chance again. OC stands behind the product they sell. If it fails 3 years in they pay to replace.
But how is that screwing them? That's exactly what the material warranty said it would pay. Yeah those shingles sucked but Certainteed stands behind their roofs just the same.

If you think OC stands behind the product they sell you should talk to one of my customers who had to fight for years just got them to pay the cost for replacement shingles on their 7 year old duration roof that never sealed.

You know there landmark shingles have undergone very few changes in the past 20 years and it's a pretty good shingle. We put on Tamko, OC Duration, Oakridge and Landmarks and we always go back to landmarks and the guys always complain about the other ones. I personally like the durations though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
402 Posts
But how is that screwing them? That's exactly what the material warranty said it would pay. Yeah those shingles sucked but Certainteed stands behind their roofs just the same.

If you think OC stands behind the product they sell you should talk to one of my customers who had to fight for years just got them to pay the cost for replacement shingles on their 7 year old duration roof that never sealed.

You know there landmark shingles have undergone very few changes in the past 20 years and it's a pretty good shingle. We put on Tamko, OC Duration, Oakridge and Landmarks and we always go back to landmarks and the guys always complain about the other ones. I personally like the durations though.
BamBamm.......:wallbash:

It's not a debate or question and answer session.....the OP asked an opinion and I gave mine. You call CT what you like, and I will do the same.

The customer shouldn't have had to deal with OC......I have never had a problem with my OC rep showing up and resolving all matters promptly. I can't say the same for CT. That's all.
 
1 - 20 of 92 Posts
Top