Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
f*** carrying around an air compressor, I've got a finish paslode and a framing one.... they are chit and always jam on me.

Anyone got a good brand to go with? I have all my tools makita...

·
Super Moderator
24,714 Posts
Nothing wrong with paslode.

Guns must be clean, good battery, good fuel cells and proper nails.

What color are your gunsm

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
There isn't a perfect cordless I have Hitachi, brad nailer is better than the 15 gauge I returned the framing without using it too heavy. I had Paslode framing and finish they're finicky, require maintenance but perform the best when they're problem free.

Makita doesn't have anything and it's my main cordless setup.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I had the Dewalt cordless framing gun for a few years and I really liked it for the little bit of remodeling framing I did (no real regular, every day use), I’d definitely recommend checking it out.

I had the Senco Fusion 15 gauge and 18 gauge and they were awesome. The 15 died after 6 years or so (it got used all day every most of the time I had it) the 18 didn’t get quite as much use and it’s still going strong.

The guy I work with most of the time now has the Dewalt 15 and 18 gauge and they’re not bad but I don’t like them as much as the sencos, mostly because it’s taken so long to get used to the flywheel/ramp up thing after having the sencos for so long.

·
Pro
5,497 Posts
We use a Milwaukee framing gun on my framing crew for punch out and truss work. It's been fine so far. Both Hitachi and Milwaukee need to have their auxiliary air tank filled periodically via a service center.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
GC/carpenter
GC/Carpenter
43,309 Posts
We love our Paslode gas nailers. Also really like our Fasco gas positive placement nailer.

Mike.
___

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Used Paslode since the 1st black ones. Keep em clean, drop of oil or 2 & they last forever & perform well. Got a black trimmer I’ve put 2 pistons in. Metal strap on plate & anchor bolt. Can’t avoid what you can’t see. Gun is 37 years old

Mike

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
I've never seen a paslode gas nailer that worked.
Some blame our elevation. (5000 ft)

I have the ryobi 18ga Brad and stapler. They work well, but I use the makita or dewalt battery adapter on them.

For 15ga I have the dewalt and no real complaints about that. Not as strong as a pneumatic, but strong enough for most situations.

Never owned a battery framer.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
I have been eyeballing the 20v dewalt roofing nailer, The guy that built my shed had two of them and he said that he really likes them

It wouldn’t be the best choice for a complete roof but for a small shed or some punchlist stuff he says it’s awesome

He’s the only person I talk to that has one so far but the online reviews are pretty decent

David

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
To be clear, I've never owned a Paslode. They always belonged to either a boss in the early days, or a sub in the past 20 years. But still, I've never seen one function for a full day.
Odd, I’ve used them all over the country no issues. Gotta keep em clean & change o rings

Mike
Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Eater of sins.
4,576 Posts
I have and use the DeWalt framing nailer and the Ryobi Finish guns in 18, 16 & 15 ga. and I like all of them. I tried the DeWalt 16 ga. finish nailer and I like using it more than the Ryobi but not enough to go and purchase one yet.

I would love to try the Milwaukee nailers at some time.

Andy.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Anyone remember the porter cable with a gas cylinder, but you had to compress it manually by pushing down about 4”. What a PITA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
Honolulu, Hawaii
18,253 Posts
Reactions: META

·
Registered
GC
724 Posts
I have the DeWalt framing nailer, 18 and 16 gauge finish nailers. I like them all. The framing nailer is heavy, no fun to use overhead, but it's a solid tool. Oddly, I can use it all day without a problem, a young fellow that works for me can't drive 3 nails in a row without it jamming.
Once you've worked a jobsite without cords and hoses laying around, it's really hard to go back. For trim work, there simply isn't a reason to have a compressor on the job.

From what I've seen and heard, they all work well enough. I'd recommend just picking up the different models and choosing whichever feels the best in your hand.

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
I have been eyeballing the 20v dewalt roofing nailer, The guy that built my shed had two of them and he said that he really likes them

It wouldn’t be the best choice for a complete roof but for a small shed or some punchlist stuff he says it’s awesome

He’s the only person I talk to that has one so far but the online reviews are pretty decent

David
It works fine.

2 amp battery doesn’t last long, because it stays wound up after you depress the nose, so you can send 4 or 5 nails.

Heavy.

I just finished 6 squares with it on my wife’s she-shed. 2 small batteries and I think one 5AH.

It is great for nailing on flashing, finishing ridge, repairs, or skylights.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Paslode seems to be the way to go still. You need to clean them and keep up on fixing them at times. We use almost entirely paslodes for framing roofs and sometimes for small bits of backframing.

For walls/floor sheathing nothing can compare to air nailers... Hitachis are the best imo.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
It works fine.

2 amp battery doesn’t last long, because it stays wound up after you depress the nose, so you can send 4 or 5 nails.

Heavy.

I just finished 6 squares with it on my wife’s she-shed. 2 small batteries and I think one 5AH.

It is great for nailing on flashing, finishing ridge, repairs, or skylights.

Thanks! I just bought one yesterday

It is a beast that’s for sure!

David

·
Safety Third
Red Seal Carpenter
1,079 Posts
Have both Milwaukee (company) and Metabo (personal) cordless nailers on my crew. They work really well when they're working, but it didn't take long on the Milwaukee's to hit that recharge point. Took them almost 3 months before they decided they couldn't recharge them and finally gave us new ones. Sucks when you're 8 hours from the closest service center. I guess I used them a bit too much, now they are for trusses only. Although they're also super handy for footings to quickly run around with instead of dragging a hose in the mud.

·
Registered
12,360 Posts
This is why I have held off. My Paslodes just keep working. I haven't ever even cleaned them. Many thousands of nails and they were used to begin with. One is the first gen orange one from a garage sale. It probably sat in a damp barn for years and years. Still works.

I'd hate to keep thinking that every shot is one closer to useless.

Sure, they are slower, but I'll take reliability over a bit more speed any day.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 28 Posts