Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's your favorite? I prefer goldbond, I feel it gives the tightest joints, paper is always great, and makes for a beautiful finish. On the flip side I think Lafarge is freakin junk. Getting tight joints is a nightmare, the corners are rolled, paper is garbage. What's your opinions. I mostly hang 5/8" stand ups on metal

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts
I like certainteed And had the misfortune of being 6 boards short on Sunday to finish and ran to hd. Apparently all they have in 5/8th is ultra light. That chit is complete junk.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Certainteed is good stuff I just really hate Lafarge. All HD and lowes board sucks the best board is still hot off the press directly from the plant!

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts
ubcguy89 said:
Certainteed is good stuff I just really hate Lafarge. All HD and lowes board sucks the best board is still hot off the press directly from the plant!
The date on our main order from my supplier was 1/28/14. Hardly enough time to ship it here

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a plant within 10 miles of me on large orders we get truck from the factory. On a cold day you will pull board off the truck still steaming and hot from the press. I kid you not. Not that it makes the board any better though

·
Home Repairs
291 Posts
We have a USG plant, and 3 very good large suppliers within 13 miles of my home. We can get just about any product we want from the major brands. I really feel for the guys who have to depend on suppliers pushing out the defective board. Hard to make time when flats turn into butt joints all day long.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm no drywaller, and I certainly don't pretend to want to be one, but what is the real problem with the lightweight board? Other than "it's junk" are there any real quality or finishing issues with it?
I feel the problem comes with hanging. I have not used it a whole lot, but you gotta watch because you can easily tear it up. You get more screw pops, paper tears easier, hard to snap...

·
Ancient Rocker
65 Posts
The "problems" are not from the hanging. USG lightweight is terrific , but Georgia- Pacific is horrible.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Must be why we don't have problems with the lightweight, we use USG mostly. We don't use lightweight 5/8 on the ceiling, but man I hate hanging that heavy stuff.

·
Registered
37 Posts
here the only brands are cgc, certainteed and toughrock. and thats the order i like them. I've gotten use to the light weight and dont really have any problems with it. The only thing i find is there is the odd air bubble in it and only noticable when cutting it.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Problems with L/W; doesn't cut and snap clean, can ding it with your fingernail, paper tears when putting screws in, does not hold screws well, since it doesn't hold screws well after up a bit screw pops, high shoulders to the point that almost every seam is a butt.

·
Drywall Slave
9,441 Posts
I'm no drywaller, and I certainly don't pretend to want to be one, but what is the real problem with the lightweight board? Other than "it's junk" are there any real quality or finishing issues with it?
Just Imagine laying your sub-floor with cardboard.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Our last basement we hung i specked out all gold bond high strength ceiling board.

It is about 27 pounds more than lite board but holds a screw perfect and cuts clean. Good screw holding is more important to us now that we run strictly collated. You can tell its density/strength when you carry its not making crackeling noises like lite board

1 - 20 of 25 Posts