Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I had agreed to help this older couple I know with painting their exterior door (for free) not realizing they have a wood door! I really have no experience working with oil based paint, and even of if I did, given the fact that I am not getting paid for this, I can't afford to spend six days sanding, painting, re-sanding, coating, etc. They had already purchased a can of deck stain which I had to explain to them that it may not be a good idea and that it will not have glossy sheen that they desire. So I am looking for a quick/fast solution here, if there are any? This is not a fancy door or anything, but I want it to look decent and last. The people at Sherwin Williams suggested Winwax stain with a top coat of Winwax Helmsman clear semi-gloss coat, both water based so I may be able to get away with one day of paint and come back the next day for the top coat. Has anyone tried winwax for exterior door? I always thought they were for indoor projects only but the Helmsman top coat says for interior and exterior. Does anyone have any suggestion or other products they recommend? One issue with the Winwax is that it comes only selected colors only, and they owners are insisting to get the color of their choice (the deck stain color they had selected).

Thanks in advance for your recommendation.

·
Stelzer Painting Inc.
187 Posts
First things first, go back to Sherwin Williams and throat punch whoever told you to use Minwax on an exterior door. Next, provide more details regarding what specific color they're looking for, what's currently on the door, how you'll be applying the product, and you just might get some useful feedback here.

·
Registered
13,413 Posts
^^^^What Troy said.

Painting and staining are two different animals.

What color they looking for?

How is the current finish on the door holding up?

Pics please....

Tom

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I thought I was just painting a regular door -- a bit of sanding to rough it up and apply some exterior paint, done in couple of hours. I also didn't realize they want both side of the door .... I just wanted to cry (I think i did!) when they should me the door. But frankly, I owe this couple a lot. They had done me a huge favor in the past. An honestly, they have no idea how big of a request this is, or they would have never asked .. Anyways ....

They had picked this semi-transparent deck stain from lowes (suggested by lowe's) which after applying to a small section I had sanded looks kinda redish/brownish (almost same as current faded color).
As far as how I will be applying the stain? I guess it depends on the product ..

I wasn't sure about the SW suggestion either, but the Helmsman coat does say for exterior use!!! But I have never used any of those products.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
^^^^What Troy said.

Painting and staining are two different animals.

What color they looking for?

How is the current finish on the door holding up?

Pics please....

Tom

Sorry, I meant to say stain. They want to grain to show. I wish it was paint!
And no picture. I am going there on Friday to sand it to bare wood and get it ready for a rain free day the following week to satin .. i am really hoping to avoid oil based paint.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
This is what SW recommended. Per product's spec, it is suitable for exterior doors:

Minwax® Water Based Helmsman® Spar Urethane is a crystal clear, water-based finish that is specially formulated to protect wood against nature's toughest conditions.

• Contains UV blockers to reduce the sun's graying and fading effects.
  • Forms a protective barrier against rain and moisture.
  • Special oils allow the finish to expand and contract with the wood as seasons and temperatures change.
  • Ideal for use on doors, windows, trim, bathroom cabinets, bar tops, kitchen countertops, outdoor furniture.
  • Crystal clear finish is ideal for use over light-colored woods and stains.
  • Dries quickly and cleans up easily with warm water.
Direction:
  1. Surface must be dry and free of paint, wax, grease, polish, old finishes in poor condition or any foreign matter.
  2. Sand to obtain a smooth, uniform surface. Do not use steel wool. Remove all dust with a damp cloth.
  3. If desired, apply stain, such as Minwax® Wood Finish™, to unfinished interior wood surfaces. Follow directions for application instructions and dry times.
  4. Stir well before and occasionally during use.
  5. Apply a thin coat of Water Based Helmsman® using a high quality synthetic bristle brush. On unfinished wood, apply sufficient material to seal open joints, edges and end-grain.
  6. Let dry at least two hours, then sand entire surface lightly with very fine sandpaper (220 grit) to ensure an even finish and proper adhesion of additional coats.
  7. Apply second coat. Water Based Helmsman® requires a third coat - repeat step 6 before application. Note: For exterior surfaces or for previously unfinished wood, four coats are recommended.
  8. After final coat, allow 24 hours before normal use. If applied to countertops, allow 72 hours before normal use.

Mouthwash Tin Paint Packaging and labeling Gas

·
Registered
13,413 Posts
The Helmsman will last about a year if the door gets direct sun for a few hours each summer day. It really does not protect well.

My former home in Cedar Lake, In. The pictures show the RSWO doors stained and top coated with Helsman. If you click on the link below, pictures 24and 25 shows you what they looked like when I sold the home. The sun killed the clear finish after 2 years.

Good on you for helping the couple out.

Tom

Attachments

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,736 Posts
If you want a quality clear go to a boat place and they should have some high quality clears that will last if take care of. Prepare to spend over $100 a gallon or $45 qt.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If not the cheap DIY Minwax, what do you recommend? I don't want this to turn into a $1000/ 6 day project, but not looking for a hack job either.. p.s the door will not be seeing any sun or rain.

·
Stelzer Painting Inc.
187 Posts
Contact General Finishes and let them know what you're doing, what you need, and what color you want. They'll get you set up. Make sure you can answer all the questions that were asked of you in this thread. Good luck.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts