Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

We have been considering a used dozer to construct ranch roads, ponds and general clearing. I feel a crawler loader is the best bang for the buck like a cat 963, but other in the discussion have felt the power of the D7 is the way to go.

What do yall think for our purposes?

Appreciate your thoughts.

·
Chuck
523 Posts
Are you looking for a dozer or a loader?
Welcome to CT. Please post an intro in the introduction section. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am looking for a machine that can handle as many types of jobs as possible, whichever would be best at under 24" tree clearing and ponds, perhaps pad sites. I felt the loader may handle these jobs and be able to load a truck. Maybe not?

·
Registered
275 Posts
We have all D5's and man i got a rental on a D6 for a week and what a difference in power. For any big dirt moving i say D6 and up is the only way to go.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
I'm with you on getting as many uses out of a piece of equipment as possible, but in this case I'd recommend sticking with a dozer to suit the dozing tasks and a mid sized tractor with loader and backhoe attachment for material handling. A wheeled tractor can drive on roads and driveways without damaging them. They can also run landscape equipment like a leveling box, rototiller, etc.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Stick with a Dozer LGP Cat High track The 963 track loader is the thing of the past. You will appreciate the tilt and power of a Dozer ,Also I can do twice the work with a Dozer

·
Registered
10 Posts
D7 is very versitile all around. Additionally can set it up with GPS and total station to make it super efficient for grading, building pads, cutting ponds, etc. Pair it up with a loader if need be to haul the dirt. Otherwise just sit back and get r done. The GPS really does improve efficiency knowing your grades and cuts and exactly where you are on the site.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts