Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guys which stabila 4 ft do you prefer ? I do concrete and masonry i have a smith but i want something that can take some abuse and not have to worry about it so much . I saw the special masons one but i use the top of the level as well so i dont think it would work for me .

·
Windwash
595 Posts
I guys which stabila 4 ft do you prefer ? I do concrete and masonry i have a smith but i want something that can take some abuse and not have to worry about it so much . I saw the special masons one but i use the top of the level as well so i dont think it would work for me .
I was a laborer in the early 90's for a couple of large commercial masonry outfits and all the block/bricklayers used Crick. I just did a quick search to see if they still were big and found a thread on CT http://www.contractortalk.com/f48/stablia-mason-level-51271/. All I use as a remodeling carpenter are aluminum Stabila's and have found that tile mortar left on aluminum levels becomes "one with the level" so maybe wood is better with masonry.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Windwash said:
I was a laborer in the early 90's for a couple of large commercial masonry outfits and all the block/bricklayers used Crick. I just did a quick search to see if they still were big and found a thread on CT http://www.contractortalk.com/f48/stablia-mason-level-51271/. All I use as a remodeling carpenter are aluminum Stabila's and have found that tile mortar left on aluminum levels becomes "one with the level" so maybe wood is better with masonry.
good point i notice that problem with some co workers non stabila aluminum levels but for forming and layout im wondering which model is the best

·
Windwash
595 Posts
good point i notice that problem with some co workers non stabila aluminum levels but for forming and layout im wondering which model is the best
I may have missed your original question but the Stabila's are great for everything else besides masonry. If it gets out of whack, just return it to anyone who sells them for a free replacement. Mine have fallen off roofs, scaffold, you name it and they still work. I have only replaced one in 13 years and it was my first 4' and I had accidentally bought one with an end vial that was adjustable for angles/slopes and it was always off a hair from the fixed vial on the other end for level/plumb. I don't think they even make that model anymore.

·
Love me some Concrete
1,834 Posts
I have nimerous levels, 10+ easy. I bought the electronic 4' Stabila 2 years ago now and I LOVE it! Using the audio feature when you cant look at the level when using is great. Plus using the digital feature makes everything dead bits level or plumb. I only use a different level when I have to bust out the 6 or 8 footer, otherwise electronic only.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts