Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like some input about 12' saw blades for finish work. I have always had good success with Forest blades but don't like to pay that much every time. Are there others that you guys would recommend?

·
GC/carpenter
43,965 Posts
I'm thinking of sending mine to Forrest, I am not impressed with my local shop. I've heard great things about Forrest sharpening services.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have done that in the past. I have even sent them a dewalt blade and it came back much sharper then it was originally.

·
Super Moderator
24,787 Posts
I would like some input about 12' saw blades for finish work. I have always had good success with Forest blades but don't like to pay that much every time. Are there others that you guys would recommend?
Have you tried giving your blades a real good cleaning?

None of the good ones will be cheap.
Forrest, Tenryu & Matsuchita are amongst best.
Replace the c with an "s" in the Matsu

I'm thinking of sending mine to Forrest, I am not impressed with my local shop. I've heard great things about Forrest sharpening services.
Forrest sharpening in awesome.

·
GC/carpenter
43,965 Posts
Oldmanchaz said:
Thanks. I have never heard of this brand? I am going to look them up.
Tenyru is a great blade. I don't think you can go wrong with it. I got one because they make one for the Kapex. Although I believe there are others that make them for the Kapex as well.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I will agree with Tenryu. Great blades!

A little while back, I purchased a DeWalt fine finish 80T blade for my 10" non-slider, and I have to say that I've been impressed. I have also used it on my table saw cutting plywood, and it leaves very little tearout. For the price, it's a fantastic blade.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Forrest

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Who do you use to sharpen them? Local or do you send them off somewhere?
I mail my blades off to Darren Nelson---I lost the link to his web site--but he is a moderator at Woodworking Talk--so go there and get the site info.

I use a US mail one price box and ship anything with a cutting edge that will fit in the box-----I've been happy--planer blades--saw blades and chisels---all done well---about $13.00 for a 10" blade---

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Am I the only one who is happy with Freud blades? Also make sure you use a de-greaser on fresh blades, I know that is day one stuff.

·
Registered
Remodel
31,175 Posts
Good and cheap don't usually go together with blades. Sometimes you can get a Freud or Dewalt that isn't too bad, but sharpening is a better deal.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Forrest is good. My old man used them for over 25 years and never a problem.

leitztooling.com is good also, if your close to a service center. They also sell blades, not cheap tho. They are very good blades.

·
Registered
746 Posts
FS Tool SM 6300 or LM 6300. SM is C4 carbide so it holds an edge longer than the LM. Neither are cheap but hold an edge better than the Forrest blades they replaced. Also in the rotation are a pair of Everlast MT1280s. These cost $95 a piece and for the price are very nice blades with a lot of carbide.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Am I the only one who is happy with Freud blades? Also make sure you use a de-greaser on fresh blades, I know that is day one stuff.
As the op was asking for a cheaper priced blade to recommend , I'm with you mrcharles . The Freud diablo has some good finish blades for the money . I only take out my Forest blades when called for .

·
GC/carpenter
43,965 Posts
Texas Wax said:
Forrest is good. My old man used them for over 25 years and never a problem. leitztooling.com is good also, if your close to a service center. They also sell blades, not cheap tho. They are very good blades.
Great info, I just got ahold of a Leitz representitive and he will pick up and deliver for sharpening services. There actually close by. Again thanks Texas Wax. :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts