Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
The Duke
14,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm making a lounge booth and at the last minute, the design was changed to radius corners on the inside of 3 of the corners. I'm in a pickle because they need it soon. I would normally just use wacky board, but I can't get it when I need it. So, the best I've come up with for available materials is 1/4" lauan.

Anyone have a better idea? I really don't want to be messing with lauan. I'm also thinking that it's going to push out my radius' and I'm going to be fighting it. Maybe vertical boards, then lauan?

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
I have used 3-ply 1/2" CDX to wrap radii of 12", it bends easier than luann ply. If you are just trying to get a substrate that will be covered, give it a shot.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
Those look like tight radiuses, i will mail you a piece of wiggle wood, my yard stocks it, i just did some radius work yesterday. 1/4" luan will be complaing the whole way around that radius. G maybe 1/2" azek could work

·
The Duke
14,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I forgot to mention, it's getting covered with a vinyl product. I don't think it's possible for me to find 3 ply plywood. I'm not even sure I've seen it before.

Azek, now there's a thought, but still for me a special order for sheet goods.

I am planning on using a bunch of vertical "studding" which I'm going to make tomorrow morning. I have my jig already set up to blast out dozens in no time.

I have all the other backs done, the base is done, just those little dudes, which unfortunately for me are in the vicinity of 4'2" so vertical doesn't quite make it. I'm thinking just scab it anyway. Going perpendicular I will be in hell.

·
The Duke
14,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
panelling should work well most of it is basically masonite isnt it? That a sweet project too. You should post a pic. I wish radiuses were more common, they are so much more entertaining to work with.

whats lauan? never even heard of it.
It's Philippine Mahogany. They call it lauan around here for some reason. When you get a lauan door....it's cheap....very, very cheap.

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
Framerman, if I'm not mistaken, I've seen 3-ply 1/2" at HD. Several of the hometown yards used to stock it as a cheaper alternative to 4/5 ply, rather than offer yellow pine ply. Oriented vertically, it bends nicely around a radius. If you look closely there is a chase on the side of this building with 12" radius corners. It took a little persuasion, but bent uniformly.:thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Registered
134 Posts
I found some 3 ply 3/8" at my local supplier,first time I've ever used it, and it bent without much problem.
That looks like an fairly tight radius though.

Luan, masonite and Azek all sound like good options.

Looking forward to seeing some pics. of the completed project.

·
The Duke
14,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Framerman did you look at maine coast lumber, York Me.
They had a ton of bending plywood last time i was there
Love that place! I don't think they're open today, but I think I may delay these guys just so I can get proper material. The big thing about this is that it's an inside corner, not outside. That's where my fear is that it's going to be a brute to make it go. Even with little resistance, it's going to push it back some.

I will definitely post some pics. Nothing is square at all at the place it's going, so a few trips are in order.

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
Love that place! I don't think they're open today, but I think I may delay these guys just so I can get proper material. The big thing about this is that it's an inside corner, not outside. That's where my fear is that it's going to be a brute to make it go. Even with little resistance, it's going to push it back some.

The wigglewood (thats what we call it) is def they way to go, even if you have to delay the project, you will make the time back with the correct product. It is always amazing to me how a simple radius impacts everyone involved with the project, in your case the upholsterer will also be affected:thumbsup:. GMOD, dont forget the basemoulding.

·
Banned
902 Posts
Why don't you explain, and back it up with a great SU render, how much less cost there is if each corner is segmented into 2 or 3 panels?

It then becomes, once again, a nice little 3D framing project (I would tack and glue the whole thing up in rips from 3/4" CDX), nicely paneled, and nicely trimmed.

Are they really in love with the curves, or is the point to eliminate the rather unusable square corners?

With your seatback angle, those surfaces are compound curvatures. But you knew that.

·
The Duke
14,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Why don't you explain, and back it up with a great SU render, how much less cost there is if each corner is segmented into 2 or 3 panels?

It then becomes, once again, a nice little 3D framing project (I would tack and glue the whole thing up in rips from 3/4" CDX), nicely paneled, and nicely trimmed.

Are they really in love with the curves, or is the point to eliminate the rather unusable square corners?

With your seatback angle, those surfaces are compound curvatures. But you knew that.
You are thinking just about the same as I was with this. The curved part doesn't bother me in the least bit. The compound angle is a little further than you really need to go. The studding/backing for the ply is all identical on the curved part. That's all production baby! Just a boatload of them on the curve.

The rest of the frame is just like you said, 3/4" ply, ripped, glued, stapled, braced....it's lightweight to bring in and a tank when screwed down to the floor. Dimensional lumber sucks on something like this.

I took this in and their eyeballs popped out, they were so happy. This is stage 1. I wanted to make absolutely sure I got the radius corners perfect, so up went the 3 other sides that were straight shots. 3 screws from the bottom and this thing is ready for bar fights. Destroy away.

To Gus, this is the ply I was talking about earlier, the Araucoply. It's so similar to SYP, but it doesn't warp quite as much as SYP. Once in place this stuff looks real nice. $22 and 9 ply for ACX, not bad. I would never use it for cabinets, only for a utility type application. Works nice, but it does warp on you, especially the top piece.

This is all the base construction. PL glue and 1-1/2" staples liberally everywhere.

Here's the end of my Sunday. Screwed from the bottom, but have to take it off for the upholsterer. It's temporary until I get the rounded pieces in. Wait until you see those. They are going to be a work of art.

Here's the back construction. It's a horrible picture. Those are tapered 5". They're 26-1/2" long. Glued on the ends and stapled to bejesus. It looks warped, but it's not. It's my camera.....really. These are precise.

The SU file was just for me. I use a different approach to rendering. If I was setup like I should be, this render would have taken an hour. Still not top of the line, but IMO, when the client sees this, it's over for the other guy....if there is "the other guy"

They were happy even though it doesn't have the correct background.

If you are wondering, yes, this is my lounge model and everything in the picture is fake. It's all modeling, no reality whatsoever. Sells itself IMO.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts