Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We dont do alot of metal work but the few we have done have always turned out really nice. WE are doing these 3 gables and the metal looks perfect untill we put it up and it looks wavy from the ground. We have taken it down 3 times and redone it. What may be causing this? It looks great straight etc... untill we nail it. and we even tried not nailing it and it still looks wavy?

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
Sometimes on a sheet metal brake the center of the part doesn't clamp as tight as the ends. As a result the center can be out of plane and the part is bent with a crown in it. When you nail it straight to a board it's then puts a wrinkle in it.

I watched a friend who is a siding contractor do this and it was a learning lesson for me. He ended up buying a new brake but to fix the problem at the time pulled out the center and clamped the part, then bent it. From what I recall it worked but it's a little foggy to me because it was years ago.

Just a guess but if the part you are covering has a crown in it and you put a straight part on it...with a little pressure you could be causing some wrinkles.

Too many nails can sometimes create ripples in the aluminum also.

I'm a plumber though, my advice on these matters prob isn't the best.:laughing:

Mike

·
Registered
5,242 Posts
My xboss took strips and placed several along the 10' run - one in the Center of all the Tension clamps and one on each side, Tighten all with the bar, then try to pull out the Ones in the Middle keep doing this until all have about the Same clamping pressure.

Also look for Cracks, and check the Plastic for movement - If this thing has been thrown around a lot you might have to have it send out or Buy a new one.

Good Luck

·
Registered
19 Posts
Sounds like it is oil canning on you, normally it's from nailing too tight or too many nails. If it still does it with no nails then it is likely crown in the framing you are attaching to or a couple if proud nails in the framing. Waves are cause by forcing more material than you have area to place it in so look for pinch points that are pushing.

·
Gonna die a glass guy
367 Posts
Thats flashing for ya. What type of metal are you putting up. copper is going to get dark and not be as noticeable in a few.... if as others have said is a wavy roof you can shim it here and there to get it straight but the waves are going to come andd go as it heats and cools (expands and contracts) you can slot the mounting holes to give it some room to move , use wafer head screws instead of nails and leave it loose fitting so it can move.

·
Head Grunt
3,270 Posts
I myself have had this problem too, i prefer to just put a small V design bend in the middle for support. Changes the look too which most find appealing. Downside is everything else would have to be changed to match and any corners and angles can be a challenge to match up.

·
Construction Connoissuer
2,024 Posts
Whenever possible I hem the metal on both sides,
The extra bend (s) help a ton as far as making it straight, and stout.

Like others have said, you can't have any hang ups, or force it.
You have to finess it.

·
Registered
17,271 Posts
color also has alot to do with it,dark ones are always problematic,try not to nail in the face,use your trim nail punch and only nail in the bends

there are times with wide trim or in high wind areas, i will use a system of starters nailed hard to the trim then lock the capping into them

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts