Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,
I've been a life long user of ben moore all my life, I'm an ex taper/painter. Im remodeling my own house and having issues with the trim paint. I've always used ben moore super white satin on my trim, but apparently they changed recipes for their paint.
I've never had so many issues with trim paint, it's so incredibly sticky, the heel of my brush gets crusty, I can't brush off the finish because it sets up so damn quick.
To date I've used the flood products and yesterday I tried the latex extender, that worked for about 30 minutes, why doesn't anyone seem to want to talk about this.
I have drag lines and brush marks everywhere.

·
Registered
9,607 Posts
My painter loves it, I hate it.
He can brush anything with it and leaves no runs, drips, or brushmarks. Looks like glass. He's been painting for 40 years.
I think it take a long learning curve to work with it

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
I'll just say that in my experience have to use too much Flotrol and doesn't last as you say.

XIM exceeds expectations. Careful you don't use too much as you only need about 1/2 the dose compared to Flotrol. It will last an hour or two.

You can always try another can. They should swap if you're not satisfied. Mfg's are constantly messing with formulas on one hand, and these 100% acrylics can be difficult to dial in.

·
Registered
11,559 Posts
Old but informative:

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Advance is a hybrid so you shouldn't be using any extenders. It will tack up quickly over some finishes such as pre-primed woodwork. It's very easy to work with but you can't be slow with it. It acts a little bit like oil based which it should and what I prefer. Stay away from Purdy they have been crap since SW bought them I use Wooster FTP they are stiff I use them for all paints but the brush isn't the blame. It's what I use on my own house and it's a fantastic finish.

·
Registered
9,607 Posts
Definitely cant be slow and no way going back after half hour, my painter uses no extender, experience is the key
He painted a boatload of 6 panel doors for me a couple of weeks ago and they came out fantastic. He said there is nothing better for trim and doors.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Advance is a hybrid so you shouldn't be using any extenders. It will tack up quickly over some finishes such as pre-primed woodwork. It's very easy to work with but you can't be slow with it. It acts a little bit like oil based which it should and what I prefer. Stay away from Purdy they have been crap since SW bought them I use Wooster FTP they are stiff I use them for all paints but the brush isn't the blame. It's what I use on my own house and it's a fantastic finish.
Ok, ill try that brush.
You are correct about drying quickly on pre- primed

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
I do a lot of painting & prefer Ben Moore over any. Never had any issues or had to get a rep to inspect anything on any job. The key is to move fast. I can face 1 side of a door by the time my helper has the inserts done. Different brushes for different apps

Mike

1 - 18 of 18 Posts