Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Porter Cable Model 503 belt sander? I had to replace the brass gear (pinion) and the exploded drawing is not complete or is different for the worm drive stack up of parts between the motor fan and the sawdust fan. Can someone give me the stack up from the motor fan out? I have a cup that I think goes on one side of the worm gear that is unaccounted for on the exploded drawing. It has external thread, but nothing to screw into. The sander ran, but I don't think I had the stack right because it would stall out with pressure on the belt. Motor ran/belt didn't. The only thing that runs the worm gear is pressure from a spring on one side and friction from the shaft spinning.
Normally, I'd just get a new sander. But this is a beefy SOB and I had it for 30 years. A model 503 goes for $1000.00, so it is worth repairing.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
56,877 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's the link that I bought my parts from. The .pdf isn't right or doesn't match my stack up. Like I said, I have a piece that came out that is not accounted for. Plus, when I re-assembled per their diagram, it didn't work! Thanks for the input! I hate to bring things to the shop if I can fix them myself.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts