Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used one of these or heard any info on it?

http://www.behrclaws.com/

·
Registered
63 Posts
As an installer who's abandoned the kicker for stretching anything but stairs and halls where I can brace my foot against the opposing wall, I'll say that that tool is very appealing. I don't see it causing me to toss my Crain Junior; but I do see significant potential there.

I've tried the crab and I've considered the spike, as well as some of the plain silly stuff like the Air Kicker and the block-less pole stretcher that you kneel on and find them all to be unworkable.

They need to include the stretcher head for it to catch on around here in Boston. Nobody I know even so much as owns a pole stretcher besides myself.

Give me a week or two to order it and try it out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just bumping this to the top to see if anyone has tryed this thing yet? I to am looking for a way of not dragging all those poles around a house.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Grew up in a family carpet company...installed for 20 years.

...Junk.

You have to pre-trim the carpet prior to stretching....down to 1.5 inches....

In a large room, you can pull almost twice that.

Has potential to do some major baseboard damage also.

Another hack shortcut tool in my opinion.

Hollywood

·
Registered
1 Posts
Reply To Hollywood

I have been installing carpet for 15 years, and for 'Hollywood' to say that it damages baseboards is absurd. It doesn't even touch the baseboard. These days, the colors on peoples walls in homes are dark if you don't pre-trim the walls, you will scratch them. The Behr Claws has had the three largest mills in the U.S. (Shaw, Mohawk, Beaulieu) do extensive testing and found that it over exceeds the stretching of poles and specs. For throwing out a remark like a junk tool is ignorant, and obviously never been used by the person who said that. Instead of bad-mouthing it, why don't you give it a try, it will make your job so much easier and do a much more professional job, how it should be done.

·
Registered
1 Posts
@soxfan,

I've tried the crab and I've considered the spike, as well as some of the plain silly stuff like the Air Kicker and the block-less pole stretcher that you kneel on and find them all to be unworkable.

I'm curious why you consider the Carpet Air Stretcher "silly". Do you also consider the pneumatic nail gun "silly"?

Cheers,
JM

1 - 8 of 8 Posts