Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
8,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a mailer from Consumer Reports with some quick facts on it. One of the "facts" was that they rated Behr Premium Plus as the #1 Paint in Qulity and Price.

I don't know about you but I couldn't disagree more.
Does anyone know how they rate products?

·
Back from the dead...
6,646 Posts
I highly agree. My opinion is that Behr is junque. Only reason it gets press is because of the Home Depot/Lowes marketing machine.

I read a while back how consumer reports does their testing. They reported on aspects of paint that appealed to the DIY consumer. Many features that meant nothing to a pro painter were included. Many feature/specs that pro painters look for in a paint were overlooked. If I can find the article again I'll post it.

·
Back from the dead...
6,646 Posts
Here is the post I referred to. It was written by Jim Parodi of NY and posted on the American Paperhanging Network.

Quote:
I just finished reading the Consumer Reports roundup of interior paints.
As usual it is written from the DIY perspective and offers little for
the professional. And as usual, I reject most of the criteria used to
judge these paints:

Major problem #1--- Once again CU only chooses the national brands. I
understand why, since it does the DIYer little good to get stoked about
a paint if they can't get it in their state. But the omission of great
regional brands is a fatal error and renders this seemingly
"comprehensive" roundup a complete failure. Maybe when they include
Coronado, Porter, Muralo, Touraine, and so many others it will be worth
a revisit.

Problem #2--- Would it be too obvious to point out that the most
important aspect in our superficial trade is "HOW DOES IT LOOK?" CU
spends a millisecond on this subject and cubbyholes this into "Does it
appear flatter than advertised or glossier than advertised." "Does it
go on smoothly" This is important to the DIYer because they are always
newbies. Pros are familiar with sheen levels after one or two jobs and
aren't surprised by sheen. "Brush glide" (smooth application) is nice,
but even if a paint is less user friendly, pros will usually find a way
around it---or ignore it completely if they think the finished product
is worth the extra effort.

Problem # 3- Hiding and Mildew Resistance are nice. But once again if
a paint gives a better appearance with two coats pros will use it.
(DIYers want a one coat so they can get back to football on TV.) And
scrubbability? CU does not even get into the newer "flat enamels" or
ceramics. Muralo Ultra Ceramic, Pratt &Lambert Accolade, Coronado Cerama
Gard are regional and therefore not mentioned.

Problem # 4-- Do the words "leveling", "flashing", "blocking", "edge
cling", "sagging", "enamel holdout", "recoat time", "cure time", mean
anything to you? Of course they do-you're a pro. They mean nothing to
a DIYer so CU completely ignores these ESSENTIAL paint qualities in
their review.

Problem # 5--- Such a bunch of paint yokels I haven't seen in recent
memory...Did anybody see the word PRIMER mentioned at all? Yes CU,
paint companies have these things that go on first and these things are
part of the "system" than can make or break a job. So with primers you
can tackle painting garbage painted atrium halls with uniform finish and
get good PROFESSIONAL results over patching compounds.

This review is a joke for the pro. Take it and send it to your DIY
relative.

That all makes sense to me.

P

·
0 Posts
As a member of the supplying industry, I can tell you that the CU makes us all cringe. It is possible to create a paint simply to meet the criteria that they set - mildew resistant, high scrubs, etc., while ignoring all the other parameters that make a good product. CU also paints on paper, not drywall - the shiny, gray-striped paper that you see with drawdowns from your sales rep. Some products look great on this paper, while others look terrible - and it can look the opposite on the wall. Their average spreading rate is 600 square feet per gallon. Their "stain resistance" test consists of rubbing a black concoction of **** on the product and wiping it off. Fine, but it ignores other stains, like crayon, ink, pencil, wine, etc., many of which do not come off the high-ranked Behr product. And why exactly do you need scrubbability if washability (stain removal) is excellent? If the stain comes off right away, why would you continue to scrub? CU rejects all industry attempts to help with their test procedures, even though we have developed standards for over 150 years, and have agreed to work with our competitors in extablishing criteria. I understand that they want to remain as distant as possible from the suppliers, but taking some guidance wouldn't kill their objectivity. It's nice to see that there are smart people out there who see through these "tests" and realize the best products are the ones that work best for them in their individual applications, not the ones CU rates at the top...

U

·
0 Posts
DIY vs. "Professional"

I noticed that someone stated that Behr is "junque". Why? I have painted my whole home with the Behr line of paints. I always use 123 primer under it and i havent had a single issue with this paint. It provides beautiful coverage in one application except for the darker red and green colors which usually require two.

I love the condescending tone that you all have about DIY people. DIY has become so popular recently because we cant trust a contractor to come into our home without feeling like we took one up the backside. I would have to say that dealing with contractors ranks up there with dealing with car dealers from my experiences. Some good ones and some bad ones out there but just knowing that the bad ones are out there motivates me to just do it myself.

the chemist

·
Back from the dead...
6,646 Posts
I'm sorry if anything in this thread offended you. It was not meant to be condescending in any way, just stating opinions on products, and how they are rated by people that don't deal with them day to day. I have nothing against DIY'ers; I teach those who want to try on their own how to hang wallpaper twice a month at a local store, for free, on my own time. I do this to educate the public about the trade, and give info out to help my industry.

I also moderate a painting/wallpapering forum for DIY'ers on another site, for free, on my own time, because I want to.

If I was to mix up a concoction of chemicals on a jobsite, not realizing I was in way over my head, and asked you for help on why my potion failed miserably, would you take the time to patiently explain to me how and why I went wrong, or snicker behind your back with your chemist friends (in a condescending way)? Just wondering. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
My favorite paint is Glidden. I have done patch jobs on walls that have been painted 5 yrs. + and subjected to the Florida sun and the patch simply 'disappears'. Coverage and everything else are on a par with other quality paints.
If you're interested, I have a 'working agreement' with Benjamin Moore.

D

·
0 Posts
I was going to use Behr premium on my interior but after reading this thread and a few other forums where professional painters said Behr paint basicly sucks I am in need of some advice now.

What should I use?
There is a Sherwin Williams store near by and a Scott paint...then of course the regular chains like ace, Lowes, Home depot and such.

I am doing my walls a light color (The Behr color I had chosen is called white truffle) and the trim a darker shade of that color...satin finish on both. (I'm in Tampa, Florida if that makes any difference)

Of those store, which one has the best paint?...I do not like painting so if I can get a good job with one coat (over the existing white satin paint) thats what I will do, but if the only way to get a good looking job is to use a primer coat first then i guess I will....as much as I hate the idea of going over everything twice...lol.

Any advice on paint choice or other tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
dawson, you can take any color card to any paint store and they can match it. Some are better than others and it all boils down to the experience of the guy behind the counter.
My deal with Sherwin Williams fell through and I am back to using Glidden.
Plan on 2 coats, even same on same with any paint. I have yet to be introduced to the perfect paint or painter.
I have been a member of CU for almost 40 yrs. and don't always agree with their choices, Behr paints is a good example. A few years ago I painted a condo with Behr at the request of the owner, at the time American Tradtions was CU's top rated paint and I had just painted my house with it. Their kitchen took 4 coats (beige over yellow) and I went back to the owners to try and recoup a few bucks and blaming it on the Behr paint. I went to the CU site hoping for some justification and they had just bumped Behr into the #1 spot, kiss that argument goodbye. I ate that part of the job.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Grumpy, all of my paint quotes are for two or more coats. No one makes a paint that covers in one coat and I have never seen anyone able to apply a single coat evenly enough to satisfy me.
Worst color ever encountered, Barbie pink. Two coats of primer and three topcoats. That pink refused to go away.

U

·
0 Posts
info on paint

Dawson said:
I was going to use Behr premium on my interior but after reading this thread and a few other forums where professional painters said Behr paint basicly sucks I am in need of some advice now.

What should I use?
There is a Sherwin Williams store near by and a Scott paint...then of course the regular chains like ace, Lowes, Home depot and such.

I am doing my walls a light color (The Behr color I had chosen is called white truffle) and the trim a darker shade of that color...satin finish on both. (I'm in Tampa, Florida if that makes any difference)

Of those store, which one has the best paint?...I do not like painting so if I can get a good job with one coat (over the existing white satin paint) thats what I will do, but if the only way to get a good looking job is to use a primer coat first then i guess I will....as much as I hate the idea of going over everything twice...lol.

Any advice on paint choice or other tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Hi- If you are still looking for a product to use, I suggest calling Modern Paint of Tampa. They will help you out and have choices for you. Hope this gets to you in time. Hate seeing people have to scramble around our area for quality products!!
Newcomer (Tampa, FL)

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Grumpy, I hadn't done much painting over difficult colors at that time. I'm a much wiser man today.

·
Registered
16 Posts
yeah dont use behr, i did and it was by far the worst paint i have ever used. i only use Benjamin Moore, and wont stand behind my work if owners pick other brands. also if its new gwb your painting have them tint your primer and this will help, but i allways use 2 coats of paint unless the old color is the same sheen, brand and color as the new paint.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Behr is the best paint and best value anywhere. The color selection, quality of the paint is by far the best. The greatest thing is you can get it for about 20.00 at any Home Depot. Behr is also the best because of all the information they put out for you to make sure you do the best job possible. They really care about their customers!
Go to Behr.com and see some really cool stuff.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I have never had such a horrible time as working with behr paint. Their semi-gloss trim enamel sucks to apply and it doesn't cover. The only thing I like from behr is their ceiling paint - it's a very bright white - but it doesn't cover as much area as the competitors.

-PlainPainter

P.S. everytime someone gives me a behr chip for their rooms - I just go to Ace and have them match it. Even though it's a hardware chain - Ace has it's own paint manufacturing, and they actually care about making quality paint. If customers want to pay more money - then it's Benny Moore, P&L, California, or Muralo.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts