Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got into roofing. Got my first client last week and finished my first job ever yesterday. Patched a roof on a commercial building (apartment building). Patched 5 areas in total with Karnak Amphibikot 155 sealant and a trowel. New roof is needed, but property manager just wants the major holes and cracks patched for now. He'll know where to go for the new roof installation a little down the road.

Anyway, here are a few pics of this my first outing in the roofing trade. Feel free to comment or give tips/suggestions/criticism. All comments welcomed - I'm trying to get up to speed and learn as much as I can. Have limited experience, but want to learn and work hard.

Thanks for your time.

Andy

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I realize that. I did say in my first post I had limited experience and therefore skills. But I plan to move on to more complex jobs as I gain opportunity to grow my skills. Everyone's gotta start somewhere. In case your wondering, I do have more advanced carpentry skills.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
RoofEagle said:
I realize that. I did say in my first post I had limited experience and therefore skills. But I plan to move on to more complex jobs as I gain opportunity to grow my skills. Everyone's gotta start somewhere. In case your wondering, I do have more advanced carpentry skills.
Thats nice that you plan to grow your skills on top of your customers roof

·
Registered
139 Posts
All good then, I do admire your bravery in making such a "repair" post on a professional forum.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I understand where you're comin from. I know the ideal, and probably best path for me would be to work for someone first as part of a crew, starting at the bottom. Thing is, i'm pushing 50 and am not sure if I want to put myself in a production environment where I'm pushed for speed at my age on roofs. So the "handyman" thing seems like a way to go for me at this juncture. As Time goes on I plan to have a pro crew and manage the contracted jobs as a gen contractor.
Thank you again for your input.

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
I understand where you're comin from. I know the ideal, and probably best path for me would be to work for someone first as part of a crew, starting at the bottom. Thing is, i'm pushing 50 and am not sure if I want to put myself in a production environment where I'm pushed for speed at my age on roofs. So the "handyman" thing seems like a way to go for me at this juncture. As Time goes on I plan to have a pro crew and manage the contracted jobs as a gen contractor.
Thank you again for your input.
So in other words you're exactly the type I despise? You woke up one day and decided to start a business with no clue what you are doing?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thats nice that you plan to grow your skills on top of your customers roof
My clients will know that I am relatively new and they will receive below market pricing.

The guy I just helped with the repair job I'm pretty sure knows I don't have years and years of experience...but my prices may be all he can afford right now.. His roof is leaking, a tenant has complained about water ingress in apartment, and its a bit of an emergency.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Were ya sure it was from the roof that the water was coming from? Just a thought, did anyone look at other issues? YES the roof looks bad to me, BUT water has a way to be a hard issue to pin point at times! Just like chit, runs side-ways at times, and down-hill most.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So in other words you're exactly the type I despise? You woke up one day and decided to start a business with no clue what you are doing?
Why would you despise me? I may very well recommend a local, more established roofer to my client, if he decides he needs his new roof before I can save enough for equipment or have the necessary skills.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Were ya sure it was from the roof that the water was coming from? Just a thought, did anyone look at other issues? YES the roof looks bad to me, BUT water has a way to be a hard issue to pin point at times! Just like chit, runs side-ways at times, and down-hill most.
Thanks, Dave, for your reply. Yeah, 50. Have young family. Need to work. Tired of being low-income. Willing to work hard. I take my time setting up the ladder, take precautions and concentrate.

Not absolutely sure if its from roof, but property manager said tenant can see light through a hole in ceiling (!).,Besides cracks and alligator skin I did find a hole on the roof and patched it. Against back wall. I also found a brick chimney in bad shape that may be spalting. Not sure.

·
Registered
669 Posts
That is a good attitude to have! If you are willing to do the work, learn, take advice as needed, etc. you can go places! I am glad to see you a "willing" to better yourself, family, and others!

Just be care-full, accidents do happen quickly in this field of work!

Be safe, work hard, things, should work out!

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Why would you despise me? I may very well recommend a local, more established roofer to my client, if he decides he needs his new roof before I can save enough for equipment or have the necessary skills.
Because there are too many people out there now as it is that don't have a clue what they doing and they under cut the people who have years of experience that do know what they are doing. I'm not a roofer but you said you were going to become a "handyman". What's that mean? You're gonna do everything with learn as you go? I have yet to see a "handyman's" work I would even pay for. I know because I keep fixing their ****.

There's a difference between on the job training and learning as you go on the job. I'm not knocking you for trying to better yourself but you may very will be doing it at everyone else's expense.

The people who thrive are the one's that have the passion, desire, knowledge and knack for what we do. I didn't stick with what I do for the money, otherwise I would have became a lawyer.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That is a good attitude to have! If you are willing to do the work, learn, take advice as needed, etc. you can go places! I am glad to see you a "willing" to better yourself, family, and others!

Just be care-full, accidents do happen quickly in this field of work!

Be safe, work hard, things, should work out!
Thank you, Dave! will def make sure to work safe as I can at all times. One thing I plan to do is get fit. I'm now about 218 when I should weigh about 175. I've noticed if legs start getting tired out it's not a good thing.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Because there are too many people out there now as it is that don't have a clue what they doing and they under cut the people who have years of experience that do know what they are doing. I'm not a roofer but you said you were going to become a "handyman". What's that mean? You're gonna do everything with learn as you go? I have yet to see a "handyman's" work I would even pay for. I know because I keep fixing their ****.

There's a difference between on the job training and learning as you go on the job. I'm not knocking you for trying to better yourself but you may very will be doing it at everyone else's expense.

The people who thrive are the one's that have the passion, desire, knowledge and knack for what we do. I didn't stick with what I do for the money, otherwise I would have became a lawyer.
With all due respect, I don't think I'm undercutting many experienced tradesmen, if any. I doubt my client is in most experienced roofers market. An established roofer who's got name recognition in the community, marketing in place, employees, equipment and crews wanting to work with them is not going to see me as a threat to their livlihood. I do contracting, but I stick by an honor code where I absolutely will not accept a job if I'm totally at a loss of what do. This job presented itself and the scope was clearly laid out by the client: do the patch work. I did my research on here, youtube, net, books. It was a stretch as far as skills was concerned, but every contractor or handyman should accept a job they have to stretch a bit for. Or else how do you grow if you only do jobs you are no longer challenged by?

Also, I am honest. The client picked up on that, I think. I returned all calls, listened to his problem and informed him of what I can and cannot do. I was attentive to his concern about roof and the leak emergency. He knows he is getting an honorable worker.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
avenge;2013618 There's a difference between on the job training and learning as you go on the job. The people who thrive are the one's that have the passion said:
It's tough to get that on the job training at my age. I have passion, but not sure if I want to work at the bottom grunt-level in a speed-driven environment. Being my own boss as a handyman will probably work out best for me for now. i plan to execute contracts, maybe public bids, in the not too far off future. It's not just to make cash, I get satisfaction from doing as best job for client as possible and getting that "thank you" at the end.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts