Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you bid a job and the customer says, "We'll contact you in a couple weeks if we decide to go with you", would you bother with a followup call to see what the customer decided to do?:whistling

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I have never had a potential customer, when I called for a follow up, say "oh yea, I forgot we were planning on spending $20,000.00+ to remodel our bathroom. Glad you reminded me. When can you start?"
I used to but realized it was friutless. If they are going to hire you, they will hire you. Simple as that
Now, I Usually make one follow up call/e-mail a few days after the proposal is given to guage their interest in hiring me, ask if they have any questions/comments etc. and that's it.

Edit: Did a follow up this morning for a proposal sent out Monday AM.

·
J Meloche
109 Posts
mellison is right on.

following up is never done to close the sale. it is done to let the prospect know you are still thinking about them.

often, i'll follow up and say just that: "i'm following up with you quickly to let you know i haven't forgotten about the project, and to make sure we leave enough time in the schedule for you if you decide to proceed. if the estimate needs any changes, please let me know. thanks, bye."

that said, it's imperative to follow up. don't not do it because you think they aren't going with you. they may be telling the truth when they say they need a couple weeks to think about it, adjust finances, etc.

you had better be on their minds when they're ready.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
If you bid a job and the customer says, "We'll contact you in a couple weeks if we decide to go with you", would you bother with a followup call to see what the customer decided to do?:whistling
If they say this...they aren't going to hire you...simple as that...:thumbsup:

·
Registered
7,181 Posts
Try asking them what you need to offer them to make them sign with you right now.

If they still insist on waiting, I usually wait about 3 days and send them email just saying something along the lines of "Just following up to see if you have made any progress in your desicion. If you have any questions about the estimate that have came about since we last talked please feel free to either email or call me. I am always available."

·
Service & Repairs
4,001 Posts
You have nothing to lose by following up your lead. Doing this makes your customer think you are serious and care about their job and if they see your passionate they'll want to hire you too. Persistence is the key, IMO.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Keep it simple:

Good Morning Rosemarie,
I just wanted to touch base and see if you had any questions/comments in regards to the proposal I faxed to you.
Also, I wanted to let you know I will be out of town beginning tomorrow for about a week with questionable cell service.
Thank you,

Mike

Responce:
Mike,

Thank you for the quick turnaround of the proposal. I will be studying it over the week. I appreciated many of the insights and suggestions you made aas we toured the apartment.

I know you are headed for short vacation this week, and as I mentioned I will be having another person look at the apartment as well.

Enjoy your trip and we will reconnect next week.

Regards,

I now know I am still in the loop.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Try asking them what you need to offer them to make them sign with you right now.

If they still insist on waiting, I usually wait about 3 days and send them email just saying something along the lines of "Just following up to see if you have made any progress in your desicion. If you have any questions about the estimate that have came about since we last talked please feel free to either email or call me. I am always available."
This sound a little like desperation to me.:shutup:

·
Registered
370 Posts
I never follow up. Follow ups reek of desperation.

Calling back to "clarify" or to "be more helpful" just tells the potential client that you are sloppy, forgetful, absent minded or insincere.

Make the right first impression, and make them call you back.

Mark

·
Registered
184 Posts
It's just a part of being professional. If you say you're are going to do something, do it. One of my biggest irks is taking the time to do a complex estimate and then having the customer not give me the respect to communicate back. I try to screen everyone but there are some that do fall through the cracks.

Communicating with the customer, and giving them a call back lets them know that you want the job and that you are a good communicator. I like to end the conversation with, "I'll follow up with you in a few days if I don't hear back from you." Customers appreciate being frank and upfront with good communication and like it back just the same.

·
huntington beach, ca.
362 Posts
We are constantly following up on estimates, my wife will call, she doesn't care. Being desperate is not making a phone call and asking how things are going.

·
Branch Manager
27 Posts
Id give them a week or so then ask if they have any questions or concerns, then tell them you have an opening coming up at such & such a date & would they like to schedule. Don't call to early, if you seem desperate they'll try to talk you down.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Let's look at this from the customer's point of view. Let's also suppose that their project is real and that they intend to get it under way in the near future (not always the case!).

In the case described, they have asked for more time to make their decision (and who could blame them, I would NEVER commission a large project on the strength of one meeting and no time to discuss it with my wife, alone).

So we've got to the point where they have had the various quotes/proposals/estimates whatever you want to call the, and they are about to make their decision.

At that point they are contacted by one of the contractors, who asks if they are ready to schedule the next stage. Now the contractor has to be one of those under consideration because if he isn't, it doesn't matter what he does.

So what is the reaction of the customers going to be? (and that is what this thread is all about)-

1) to think that the contractor is desperate?

2) to think that right here on the other end of the phone they've got a suitable contractor who is ready and willing to get their project started, and all they have got to do, if they want that to happen, is to say yes. They don't have to call anyone else, they don't have the risk of calling another contractor who might not be so interested, might be busy, might have signed up a couple of other jobs in the time since they met with him.

I'm going with 2)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts