Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
mason contractors
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
bricknstone "before remains after"
We removed the falling 18'' thick stone face almost 60' high.Replaced the steel beams and their failed flitch plates which were totally rotted and resting on the warehouse windows, bending them to a point, the frames wouldn't open fracturing the glass-gone.
Welded new plates cleaned painted all the steel, re-layed all the granite around the posts and infilled with 8'' bolck and brick.. with copper drips and sills. Copper flashed the parapet and installed the camel backs. We pullyed everything down then up as there was no room for a lift, bus stop below and too close to post road West Haven CT.
Had to fully enclose and heat the staging for a year. We even rehabbed the "Savin Rock" era 1920's neon sign and all it's rotted and misssing supports.They ran short on money so the last section remains today as it was originally.

This building was the hub building of a perfume company tha made Black Magic which sold world wide for big bucks during the depression in fact they were the first franchise on the east coast with something like 13 from maine to florida. Had huge block long warehouses in newhaven, mass and two other states and a office on wall st.The whole top floor remains as the day they stopped the perfume business....strange walking around up there it's a time capsule, even a cigar remains in the ashtray in the boss's office... huge ocilating fans,old fashioned recording machines,advertisment articles and printing plates of all sorts, there's even a like new Vespa clycle tucked away. The Basement has huge thick copper tanks where they would make the perfume.
The building was built over a brook and has a 4' concrete pipe running diagonally under the basement floor which ocassionally floods.
Would a made a good set for the series "Mad Men".

We had one hell of a time figuring what to do with the front regarding to alignment.
It turned out the building's steel frame was was not only orignally out of plane from floor to floor and end to end, but bent at key stress points from overloading.This complicated the positioning of all the welded window head plates which were the lintels. The top 2 middle window I beams were out 4'' [at the roof] and the bolts had 3/4'' nuts that worked their way off the bolts. Other supports had no nuts at all....they must of gotten frustrated and fudged it for me.
Took many lateral lines and bobs to figure out how it was originally built...in fact I had to cut the flooring which later revealed the original footprint which was covered by water expanded oak flooring etc.
Used to hate those speeding box and trailer trucks....they'd suck that stagging terribly. I had 12 pipe tie in braces with swivel plates I made, bolted to the steel. At the ends we ran them to the outside staging post to stop end sway...after that it was only a worry that the plastic would hold and amazingly it did....although I had to redo the roof once.

Most of the granite was notched around the posts...the building was built for 300lbs per sq.ft. and is about 300 ft long.
The entire front was leaning out and unaffixed to any support
including most of that sign....scary job. I wire planked the stone and secured the sign which was supposed to be removed till they changed their minds.....I wrote a waiver they never signed it.....so I spent much time welding supports at their expense.
They love the job, but talk about crying.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
That's 45 minutes from my house. I can't believe someone dumped that kind of money into that place instead of tearing it down. Not saying I would rather see it gone, just that it's unusual to see an old building rebuilt to that level. Nice work.

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
Those pics make it look like it was in 1970. You need a better camera! lol. Very ambitious though, I wouldnt tackle something lke that.

·
mason contractors
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's 45 minutes from my house. I can't believe someone dumped that kind of money into that place instead of tearing it down. Not saying I would rather see it gone, just that it's unusual to see an old building rebuilt to that level. Nice work.
The two sons want to redo it totally..the long side is bulging out to the point of loosing it,.. water damage ie neglect.
The two fathers don't want to spend more on it, they are buying all adjacent properties in anticipation of UNH buying it all someday?

222 post road center of allingtown at the green, by camble ave and the v.a. hospital. can't miss it.
JB I should of taken more pics through the years and I do need a camera and definately a new computer too!

I have tons more but the definition is horrible...some my son copied from photos...I need to do them all over.

·
mason contractors
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Definitely invested some money in that renovation!
about 30

about 300 labor me and my two sons.... alot of hours for me staying to get stuff figured out...... it's a mind bogging job to reverse engineer and correct a problematic building like that. It was just piers and windows before and the beams had plates welded to hold the stone over them up a a lintel. When I closed the window smaller and instaled the brck and block ate each side of each window I cemented up to the underside of the beam and then atop with the black and covered all with the veneer.

Well what happened was when the temp warmed up the posts expanded and cracks formed at each side of each window lintel over to the posts. This happened because the beam was the lintel and ahd I forseen it I would have continued the flange right to the post and caulked it.
I had to go back and remove the mortar joint and caulk whith backer rod and grey urethane and it worked....there was only a few feet of floating brick which was floating any how so it worked.

This was a design flaw from the beginning which led to everything opening up along the stone posts and the above stonework over the window.....Long story short is they should have place contol joints between the stone piers and the stone work over the windows,then it all wouldn't have opened like it did and leak to cause total failer.

Years ago they didnt do expansion joints so much in buildings due to lime mortar flexing and rehealing when wet.

We use to use lime mortar in masonry school to build projects...I went to Bullard Havens In Bridgport at night. I loved it,we would buid stuff and dismantel and put the mortar in a big tub for the next class.

I used to get to leave mine up for the day kids to see....ond day the teach paired me on a dublle faced wall with some kid I never met. I noticed he had a worn rose similar to mine. nice kis and we worked along nice. That night the tech told me he won the fasted bricklaying contest and I was even with him all the way....lol

Later from the guidence counceler I landed a job in Harlem for Quinn Const out of grand central station.They were rehabing a clinic on Amsterdam Ave and needed heavy concrete pier restoration. They gave me this new product [Thorite by Thoroseal] which said you can put it in 3'' lifts or more.
They had engineers watching [that I didn't know about] to see if I was doing it right. The deep patches shrunk and they re-engineered the stuff which was nothing more than high early if you ask me...
They painted over it with thIS new fangled elasto meric paint.....and I got paid 20,000 in 10 days. Had to hoist everthing onto the roof every night punks all around,basketball court across the sreet etc ....any how as we were finishing everyone was saying hello to us.

That was the begining of the revamping of Harlem where there was entire brownstones and blocks empty.What they did was fixm all and get a mill for a basement flat. Today, I think around 3 or 4 mil.
In doing this they would in essence displace blight with educated high earning people of the same color or race.

·
mason contractors
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
finally now it'll be completed

the building and property was puchase by the acorn group whom are involved with U.N.H.. They are going to turn the building into a appatrment complex for professors at Yale and U.N.H.included is also a restaurant etc.

I need to get a hold of them perhaps Ican finish it...lol

One of the 3 acorn principals started the starter line in sportswear.....then went public .

·
mason contractors
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
looks like they're keeping with what we did. Perhaps I'll get a call..

http://www.nhregister.com/general-n...nversion-of-carroll-cut-rate-to-30-apartments
Sent the new owners an email...they wanted me to go down today and meet the new owner and architech and G.C.

They are actually thinking of covering the entire building with drive it...even the front which I did most of over a few years back.

They want a price on removing two bulging window lintals which have i beams and flitch plates which are separated and rusted beyond repair.
They really don't know what degree owork it will take to fix the bulging 8 and 12'' brickwork....and are contemplating painting the brick after repointing!
I'm doing the removal and I know what's ahead is what I already encountered before but it's a difficult position when engineers and architechs come on board.
The owner directing them to seek my opinion which made for early friction [been there done that]......that's ok I'm wiser now than I once was....there's a ton of work there,..I'm cool.
Hoping for the best.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts