Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here's a before/after set of a job we did this spring. House had mansard roof with no effective ventilation, annual problems with ice damming and interior leakage. Our solution was to change the roofline to create space for insulation over the windows, open up the roof to ventilation, install waterproof membrane in all dangerous areas, and finish off with aluminum shingles. Homeowners are very, very happy.

PS. Nathan, I'm not sure if the "Attach Files" function is working...
PPS. Never mind, I was too impatient, and the file size was too large. I think now it's OK.

Attachments

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Grumpy said:
Great job! I like the company name too.

Alum shingles... what type of underlayment?
Thanks! We use Grace Ice&Water shield where we need water-proofing, and Triflex-30 from Flexia Corp. for everything else. The latter is a polypropylene fabric, waterproof and very hard to tear. We used to use 15lb felt, but it rips way too easy. We're always on the outlook for better products, so if you have something that is great, let us know and we'll check it out.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Grumpy said:
I never used triflex-30. Is it a 30LB fiberglass felt? All sloped roof fiberglass felts I am aware of are 15lb equivelent.

Grace is about the best waterproofing underlayment I am aware of.
No, it isn't a fiberglass felt. You can find more info from the company's web site at www.flexia.ca. You can also get more info on Triflex30 if you type "Triflex-30" into Google or similar engine.

Yes I agree with you that Grace is very good. However, we are currently testing several other products which may be superior to Grace for our applications. If you (or anyone else) is interested in our results, when they get completed, let me know and I'll post the status of the testing when it is complete.

G

·
I am at the stage of needing material for the roffing base and for the walls. I had intended to use a double layer of 30 lb felt under the siding. A study I read showed that as the best alternative next to leaving an air space under the siding. The double layer allows water to channel down the side of the wall.

I am interested in the triflex for both the roof and siding.

pgriz - have you finished your testing and are the results available?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Triflex and I&W shield

Harold said:
I am at the stage of needing material for the roffing base and for the walls. I had intended to use a double layer of 30 lb felt under the siding. A study I read showed that as the best alternative next to leaving an air space under the siding. The double layer allows water to channel down the side of the wall.

I am interested in the triflex for both the roof and siding.

pgriz - have you finished your testing and are the results available?
Hi Harold,

We use Triflex-30 as the standard underlayment, and the Grace as the membrane in situations where water backup is almost inevitable. The two are not the same, have different price points, and are used for different objectives. There is a "gray" Triflex-30 available, but we have not yet used it.

The alternatives to Grace have so far been failures, so we are continuing to use Grace. Problems of the alternatives included failure to adhere adequately, poor sealing capability when pierced, and lack of strength to resist stretching when pulled. When we find something that is superior to Grace, we'll post it. Until that time, I don't plan to publish the names of the wanna-bees. Life's too short to get into arguements.:)

Kind regards,

Paul

·
Registered
174 Posts
Pgriz,
Nice looking job. I agree, Grace has the best seal. Attached are photos of a simple "bucket test" for evaluating ice dam sheets. Use a clean & dry bucket. Any water found in the bucket the next morning is a failure.
Jim

·
Registered
174 Posts
Pgriz,
Tried again, waited and then realized that my photos are larger than 100KB. I can't make them any smaller. This is a great way to shop test these ice membranes though. If you want the photos, E-Mail me at [email protected] and I'll send them to you.
Jim

·
Registered
3 Posts
Pgriz, That is one great looking roof!!!!!! It was real interesting, learning about what y'all have to do to protect your roof from ice!!!! Don't have to much of that here in Fla. But like I said GREAT looking roof!!!!!

Dave

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Glasshousebltr said:
Steg, if the atlantic conduit shuts down you'll be working with ice in Fla too.

Bob
Now my two favorite underlayments are part of the same company...

Got an e-mail from Grace that they have bought the Triflex-30 operation from Flexia. So now I deal with ONE supplier for my needs...;)

·
Registered
174 Posts
Yes. We are now in the synthetic underlayment business. Look for improvements in the Triflex 30 product this summer. Better traction & strength. A truckload of synthetic is over 10,000 sqs, or $100,000. Very few distributors can buy truckloads. Now your distributors can mix pallets with GIWS loads and get truckload prices and freight. Your price may go down this summer.
Jim

·
Commercial Roofing
1,220 Posts
Paul,

Is your aluminum shingle system laid on battens? I am wondering only because knowing how sticky Grace Ice and Water Shield (Ice and Water Shield is a brand name for those of you that don't know) and knowing how aluminum expands tremendously, I am thinking you would get some warping as the materials expand and contract.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
AaronB. said:
Paul,

Is your aluminum shingle system laid on battens? I am wondering only because knowing how sticky Grace Ice and Water Shield (Ice and Water Shield is a brand name for those of you that don't know) and knowing how aluminum expands tremendously, I am thinking you would get some warping as the materials expand and contract.
Aaron, there are metal systems that go on battens, and those that go directly onto the deck. Ours are designed to be flat and onto the deck. That way, any weight is supported by the underlying sheathing and not the shingle. In a way, our shingle is the "veneer" on top of the sheathing. As for expansion and contraction, the maximum expansion we can expect is between -40F and +180F which gives us roughly 1/8 inch expansion across a 9x18 inch shingle. Since the shingles overlap by about 1/2 inch, you've got plenty of safety margin. As well, our shingles are attached to the deck with tabs, allowing the free movement of the shingle and therefore the expansion/contraction stresses are effectively non-existent. NOT like continuous standing seam!

GotJacked, the customers paid around $20K, which included rebuilding part of the roof, building new dormers, improving the ventilation, as well as water-proofing the roof and installing the aluminum shingles. Total surface area was around 24 squares. The kicker for the homeowners was that the finished house was re-appraised at 360K from 190K.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts