Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a before/after set of a home we did this summer. The homeowner found us after asking seeing a job we did elswhere in the neighbourhood, and she looked up the client and got our number. Original roof (before pictures) is a 102-year old tin roof that was beginning to leak and required too much upkeep. She wanted metal, but didn't know what colour or style. We showed her our porfolio of completed works (about five large photo albums so far), and she got really excited when she saw some diamond shingle installations. Here's the end result. Enjoy.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,606 Posts
I probably wouldn't have picked the red color myself but it did turn out great! Her house really stands out now.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
nwingate said:
I probably wouldn't have picked the red color myself but it did turn out great! Her house really stands out now.
Color is a very personal thing. With this customer, we put up samples of the product on her roof, and left it up for her to look at over several days. Of course, there was feedback from husband, the kids, the neighbours, the mailman, and who know who else. Wasn't much of a consensus, so she went with what she was most comfortable with. When the first section was going up, I checked in to see if everything was going ok, and saw her in the yard looking at it, just about hopping in excitement. At that point, I knew we were good with her. After we finished and I came back to collect the payment, the owners brought out a very nice bottle of wine in celebration. Red, of course.

·
Registered
8,606 Posts
Do you use any type of imaging software to show the customers what their roof may or may not look like with a different color?
I know a lot of painters who do this.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
nwingate said:
Do you use any type of imaging software to show the customers what their roof may or may not look like with a different color?
That's a faily common question among my dealers. I've experimented with some different software, but they didn't make the roof look realistic. It's something that on my "todo"list for the quiet time during winter. Most probably, I'll use Photoshop to create a set of colored layers that give the right tonality. However, once this is done, I'll probably post it on the web site as well. Ideally, I'd like to find something that allows me to take a shot of a prospect's own home, import it into my laptop, and show the homeowner what their home would look like with our roof. Maybe I'll ask Santa.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
nwingate said:
Good ol adobe photoshop will work. None of the wizard type software will make the roof look realistic, nor will adobe but I have tried many many types of this software and adobe has been the best.

For those of you who don't know Adobe Photoshop is the industry standard when it comes to graphic design.

This is what I do, but I only do this if I have a deposit: Take a pic of their house and a pic of another house with the color roof they want. Trim off the old roof and paste it over your customer's house. Editing will be required, the whole process takes about an hour per pic, which is why I only do it if I know I will be paid for my time.

If the roof pitches match the roof will look similiar, except for shading.

·
Registered
6 Posts
INteresting Roof!

I'd have to agree with Nathan on the color choice, but hey i've seen worse! Even so the color was the customer's choice so who cares, the important part is a job well done! It does make this otherwise plain home stand out as unique and interesting. Great work!

·
Registered
7,182 Posts
Paul,

With that basic plain whitish color house, the red diagonals really spruced it up.

Have you ever spoken with RenoWorks, (they have a section on this forum), and inquired how much it would cost to get your product lines into theor photo realistic visualization software for you and your contractors to utilize?

I know this is an old thread, but am hoping Paul will check in on his old post.

Ed

·
Eater of sins.
4,438 Posts
Well even though this thread is over 5 years old it is still interesting enough to throw something together.

The first is a render view the second is a real quick raytrace.

I wouldneed to photoshop a material for the roof to look real good, maybe if I get the time in a few days?

Andy.

Attachments

·
Registered
114 Posts
Looks really nice Pgriz, I have seen several old ranches here in mountain locations whose styles look good in red. That place would fit in easilly around here.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts