Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Design/Build Remodeling
6,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently building an entertainment center console. I’ve wanted to find a project where I could use “Beetle Kill Pine” and finally got one. The stuff is pretty cool looking (rustic). The waste factor is enormous – making the cost of a project (both materials and labor) really high.

·
Registered
Design/Build Remodeling
6,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Never heard of it before. Looks neat. How soft is it, eg. compared to poplar?

Here's a lumber yard that hand-selects the stuff:
http://www.sustainablelumberco.com/products/beetle-kill-blue-stain-pine/
Colorado is infested with Pine Beetles. They’re killing billions of lodgepole pine trees in the mountains – really sad and ugly (entire mountain sides – just dead). Now there are efforts to find a use for the dead trees and this as well as pellets for stoves are two of the ways it’s being used.

It’s pine and soft. In many of the boards you actually have what looks like worm holes made by the beetles.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Nice looking stuff. The east has a bug issue in are hemlocks now. Killing them off on are land in pa.

Odd read the last post about mountain side gone and thought back to the 80's when red wood siding and wood was easy to get. (When the nount went) Stuff was neat to work with.

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
That is a cool looking entertainment center!

Lots of Beetle Kill up here. There's a lumber yard at the base of Poudre Canyon where you can get it fresh off the mountain and milled to spec.

·
Registered
Design/Build Remodeling
6,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Any concern with the miters opening up with wood movement?
Some concern – yes. The horizontal slabs are beetle kill trimmed in cherry so I have some concern about them moving at different rates. We’re basically a desert climate here (very low humidity) and all the wood was about 5 - 7% when constructed.

I think we’ll see some movement. I would be happy if the beetle kill moves and even cracks (a more distressed look) leaving the cherry banding and miters solid.

It’s a crap shoot – only time will tell.

·
Artisan Carpentry
1,985 Posts
Looks great!

The wood you have there is Ponderosa Pine, not Lodgepole though.

Lodgepole has smaller knots, tighter growth rings, and is harder and more stable. See if you can get some blue stain Lodgepole.

Both species can be effected by the Mountain Pine Beetle. Interestingly the beetles don't directly kill the trees. They spread the blue stain fungus that kills the trees and that makes the wood have that color. The fungus clogs the vascular system of the trees so they can't move food or water around to live.

·
Builder, Remodeler
33 Posts
There is a major use of the dead trees.... Waste elimination and spill absorption.

Interesting thing... Something in the beetle waste neutralizes a huge array of poisons/chemicals. You can spill jet fuel on a parking lot, sprinkle some of the ground wood over it, grind it in with your feet, and sweep it up, and amazingly, you can't smell the jet fuel after awhile!

Scientists are continuing to study this stuff, but in the meantime, it is a very hot commodity. There are currently battles going on to purchase beetle-destroyed woodlands. A friend of mine works for one of the first companies producing this product, and he just sold a huge contract to the US Air Force. This is absolutely real, not just some old wives tale.

Amazing that bug poop and wood is the most effective chemical neutralizer/absorber the world has yet seen!

-TH

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
There is a major use of the dead trees.... Waste elimination and spill absorption.

Interesting thing... Something in the beetle waste neutralizes a huge array of poisons/chemicals. You can spill jet fuel on a parking lot, sprinkle some of the ground wood over it, grind it in with your feet, and sweep it up, and amazingly, you can't smell the jet fuel after awhile!

Scientists are continuing to study this stuff, but in the meantime, it is a very hot commodity. There are currently battles going on to purchase beetle-destroyed woodlands. A friend of mine works for one of the first companies producing this product, and he just sold a huge contract to the US Air Force. This is absolutely real, not just some old wives tale.

Amazing that bug poop and wood is the most effective chemical neutralizer/absorber the world has yet seen!

-TH
WOW....Hope so!..... Colorado is going to be richer than Silicon Valley...:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Best

·
Registered
818 Posts

-TH
Sawdust in general is great for absorbing spills. Throw it on, let it soak, sweep it off. I have a big barrel of sawdust I empty now and then, if I have greasy/oily hands I just rub sawdust between them and it gets a lot of it off. Works even better if it is damp.

·
Super Moderator
24,725 Posts
Out here I have always heard that called Blue Stain Pine.

70 & 80's I recall it going for a premium. Sometimes yards dam near give it away and sometimes it's top dollar.

Used quite a bit of it. Awesome looking ceilings. Put up lots of panelling called "Pic Wic" 1x6 & 1x12 T&G with a sort of 1-1/2" -2" wide sort of V-grooved edge detail.

·
Registered
818 Posts
You can get blue stain pine without the bug holes. They just dead stack the lumber for awhile before drying it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts